Baker's Dozen

The Garbage Collection - Butch Vig's Favourite Albums
Louie Gatas , May 28th, 2012 08:05

Louie Gatas talks to imperial grunge producer and Garbage man about his favourite albums

Butch Vig, the producer behind such seminal albums as Nirvana's Nevermind, Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, Sonic Youth's Dirty, and of course one-quarter of Garbage, chats about his 13 favourite albums, the week before the release of his band's fifth album Not Your Kind Of People. As a kid Butch spent most of his pocket money purchasing 7"s and doesn't recall the first album he bought. His mother, a music teacher, was a huge influence in his early years; she herself was a music collector and would take a pre-teen Butch along with her to their local record stores where she would purchase the latest single by The Beatles. Butch was raised on the music she bought until, one day, he heard The Who's (Next) album and as a result, gave up piano lessons in favour of the drums, upsetting his mum in the process. He had been bitten by the rock & roll bug and the seeds of what would become Garbage had been sown. Here, he runs through his musical evolution, from prog to punk rock.

Click on the picture below to read Butch Vig's Baker's Dozen

Butch_1338206521_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

May 28, 2012 3:00pm

yeah, boring, obvious and dull. just like garbage.

Plapla
May 28, 2012 8:06pm

Depeche Mode are a "guilty pleasure" of Shirley Manson's? Why does she feel so guilty about it? It's not as though Garbage are some incredibly leftfield, underground band and she should therefore feel embarrassed for liking a commercial act like Depeche Mode. It's also not as though Garbage are at all original or genre-defining, whereas it could be argued that Depeche Mode are to some extent. Honestly, Shirley, if a member of Depeche Mode had uttered the same words about Garbage, I could understand it, because Depeche Mode are good whereas Garbage are shite, but coming from you it sounds quite arrogant and ridiculous.

matt lindsay
May 28, 2012 10:01pm

And just like your comment.

I cannot stand it when people on here berate artists for liking 'obvious' records when making these lists.Not a massive U2/World Party fan but those two records are among their finest. And all the other selections are stellar , obvious or not. I suppose you would prefer it if he had selected a C90 tape recording his smackhead mate made of a defective fridge in 1988.

Eugene Montpelier
May 28, 2012 10:52pm

I would indeed.

Lou lewis
May 29, 2012 2:35am

I'd be interested in this, but sure ain't going thru 14 clicks for it. Why no single-page? Link-bait.

May 29, 2012 1:12pm

In reply to matt lindsay:

I would rather listen a defective fridge than garbage any day...

Burl
May 29, 2012 1:38pm

Wow, what an amazingly banal list-- the MOST banal ever on Quietus? Even the good records there stink like rotten cheese from their proximity to the dross but hey, at least we know Butch's music come's by its insipidness 'naturally.'

For those who haven't been there, I swear that in real life, Wisconsin was, is and NEVER will be as lame as Butch Vig.

Lodger
May 29, 2012 2:07pm

In reply to Burl:

your dirty mouth stinks, really
go to hell of the super cool and super super cool music you like...let us listen and enjoy Garbage without your dirt from your mouth...

Post-Punk Monk
May 29, 2012 2:09pm

Agreed with all of these comments. Hell, I own half of these and the other half? They're my pet peeves - to put it mildly. Nevertheless, this is as safe a list as I've ever seen here. This is the kind of list your sophisticated aunt, who graduated college [BA English Lit] in the mid 60s, but who wants to appear "edgy" would proffer. I've never heard Garbage, but don't think I missed anything. And Ms. Manson, no pleasure involving music should everinduce guilt.

For more ruminations on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday

aignis
May 29, 2012 2:31pm

boring just like you...

May 29, 2012 7:21pm

I like safe music of still ton dressing toward a slyly slick oil plastic manufacture. I do like lady gingers.

Spacious
May 29, 2012 7:47pm

I really enjoy Baker's Dozen. Everyone always has some interesting bit of music I've never heard before. Everybody but Butch Vig.

Perhaps Butch could be tapped to review the letter 'D' in John Peel's collection. Broaden his horizons.

Stan
May 29, 2012 9:20pm

In reply to matt lindsay:

I met Butch Vig (and the rest of the band) outside of a Garbage gig one time. They couldn't have been nicer. I told him how much I enjoyed his Zephyr Mix of DM's "In Your Room." He was genuinely appreciative and said he didn't hear that compliment often. I don't see the need in slagging his selections.

Gordon Russell
May 30, 2012 10:00am

It might be predictable but there isn't really a bad album on that list.
At least his selection is honest and unpretentious.

Electro
May 30, 2012 11:19am

In reply to Plapla:

Excuse me, but you sound to me "quite arrogant and ridiculous". Garbage and Depeche Mode are both great bands. You are shite.

Blind Joe Deaf
May 30, 2012 5:45pm

What no Bob Seger? No Oasis? What a horrible list, though anyone listened to Firetown (!!) ought not have expected better. Hard to believe this guy actually recorded some very nice ROCK records once upon a time, though maybe they didn't suck because Butch didn't get "points."

May 30, 2012 5:45pm

In reply to Blind Joe Deaf:

No Tom Petty!!!

Sara E.
May 30, 2012 8:46pm

These are HIS personal favorites, so why put him down or garbage down. It's not like you all have to listen to this listen of his favorite albums. Good lord. Also don't put down Garbage,they are an amazing band. Get over it, it's just a fucking artical.

Daniel
May 30, 2012 8:52pm

I think that many of the people commenting are forgetting that these picks are his favourite albums. You don't have to put down him or his music simply because you don't agree with his choices. I'm sure many people wouldn't agree with your choices if you were ever asked to make a list, and isn't that what makes us as people so great? We can each like different things and have different taste in music?

If you want to talk about sounding arrogant and ridiculous, maybe you should reread your asinine comment and realize that the world does not revolve around you.

Electro
May 31, 2012 10:16am

In reply to Daniel:

Well said!

I bet they expected some obscure albums from Butch Vig's list. And like damn hipsters, they complain about everything (including: "this is as safe a list as I've ever seen here").

They also forget that this is a selection of Vig's favorite albums. Personal taste.

PS: I like at least half of the albums mentioned by Vig.

Apop
May 31, 2012 4:20pm

If you're a true music snob you're sure as shite not going to slag on a list which includes The Pretenders or Roxy Music. 'cos yeah, Mr. Ferry and Ms. Hynde (sp?) are utterly unoriginal. I own everything Joy Division recorded, everything PiL recorded and I just downloaded Robyn's single "Call Your Girlfriend" cos it fookin' rocks! Do I care what you or my friends think? No, cos I'm not fucking 12.

Jun 7, 2012 5:33pm

In reply to Plapla:

have to admit you are right. Even though I did like Garbage the last 2 albums have been rubbish and they were only really great on the first 2. It does beg the question what status does Mrs Manson see Garbage holding compared to the mighty 4 decade spanning electro gods DM? ..somewhere under there feet. Musically they are as close as close can be. I don't get her comments.

Aug 21, 2012 7:39pm

Well no surprises here but if you actually love the Clash, Who and Roxy music why throw in something obscure or eccentric just for the mere sake of it? AND he loves Marquee moon, best record ever made :)

Errr....
Aug 28, 2012 11:52am

She said that about DM because DM are not "cool" in many circles: guilty pleasures are generally defined by communities. When it is not "cool" to like a band but you do anyway--guilty pleasure. She wasn't slagging off DM. She was referencing the fact that, to her knowledge, liking them is apparently not something to advertise.

Dorian Gray
Nov 14, 2012 1:40am

What about Curve's "Doppelganger"? Garbage wouldn't exist without that record - it's where they got their sound!

Myeshia Cleveland
Jul 30, 2013 6:03pm

Depeche Mode? Title is spelled wrong. :-D

Lapadit
May 25, 2014 10:33am

Lol a bunch of resentful fanboys ride the comment section.

Manson is sometimes contradictory, she's said something is a guilty pleasure but then has also removed the guilty from it times before. However, even if it is, what's it to you? Are you that sensitive? she wasn't trashing the band. Did she say she felt "so guilty" of liking it? Her reference to "guilty" could've also stem from something not specifically related to her feelings on it. And in any case, like I said, who cares? (clearly you do, so much so that you proceed to try to insult an alternative band as influential/impactful as Garbage was, along with its members - lol)

Lapadit .
May 25, 2014 10:42am

Lol a bunch of resentful fanboys ride the comment section.

Manson is sometimes contradictory, she's said something is a guilty pleasure but then has also removed the guilty from it times before. However, even if it is, what's it to you? Are you that sensitive? she wasn't trashing the band. Did she say she felt "so guilty" of liking it? Her reference to "guilty" could've also stem from something not specifically related to her own feelings on it. And in any case, like I said, who cares? (clearly you do, so much so that you proceed to try to insult an alternative band as influential/impactful as Garbage was, along with its members - lol)

Lapadit .
May 25, 2014 10:51am

In reply to Burl:

@Post-Punk Monk

"who wants to appear "edgy"

That's exactly how you and your ilk come across here actually.

Firestone
Sep 3, 2014 4:03am

Thank you Butch for this article. too bad folks are not aware that you were behind some of my top albums of all time like Nevermind and Americruser.

Apr 15, 2015 2:37pm

Dogshit "producer," worse musician/songwriter/listening artist. He was a respectable engineer but this is fucking laughable...

And no wonder Shlrley Manson was against Scottish independencee; most people in her INCOME BRACKET were, I wonder why.