British Sea Power New Album News

Inspiration for "epic" from cutting grass

The Quietus was reading a very interesting article on the sound and volume of the Man Of Aran Soundtrack (Quietus review here) on British Sea Power man Scott’s blog when we saw the following posting by the singer: "I predict 87% of the next album will sound nothing like Man of Aran. Of the remaining 13%, 69% will sound everything like "Man of Aran"."

So we dropped Scott a line to ask how things were progressing with the band’s fourth studio album. "Both martin and neil seem to be turning out their best songs so far," Scott told us. "I’ve become involved with the most epic song I’ve written and it has devastated my social life. The last few weeks I’ve been working 12 hour shifts daily on this beast. Hope it works out. Am excited."

The band are recording in Scott’s farmhouse, and he tells us that "to obtain more discipline I have started cutting 2500 square metres of footlong grass by hand with gardening shears. It’s a bit like Karate Kid. Wax on, wax off. I estimate at one hour a day it will take three weeks." As well as the painstaking cutting of grass, Scott tells us that he is "inspired by various bubbles bursting. and also the garden animals who are beginning to include me as one of their own."

The Quietus Digest

Sign up for our free Friday email newsletter.

Support The Quietus

Our journalism is funded by our readers. Become a subscriber today to help champion our writing, plus enjoy bonus essays, podcasts, playlists and music downloads.

Support & Subscribe Today