Baker's Dozen

Corrupting Sonic DNA: Moby's Favourite Albums
Luke Turner , September 24th, 2013 08:18

Moby talks Luke Turner through his formative musical influences, from Nick Drake and OMD to the sound of New York via Suicide, Silver Apples, Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy

Moby has long been a musical wanderer, lurching from vegan punk rock to earworm sample-heavy electronic pop to techno. This is reflected in his diverse selection for his Baker's Dozen albums list, which includes music that seems united by certain common themes - refusal to compromise, genre crushing, a progressive outlook, and in a fair few cases, a passion for the sonic landscape of New York. Moby at first insists that his list is "subject to change, and I tried to pretend that someone's holding a gun to my head, that made it easier." Halfway through, though, he changes his tune. "By the way, talking about these records from childhood, it's so much fun, because every record we talk about I sort of get to re-live in my head."

Moby made his selection by bringing into play certain rules. "I gave myself time limits, I tried to pick records that influenced me in my teens," he explains. "If the criteria had been much broader, like my 13 favourite records of all time regardless of genre, that would have been more challenging, but I gave myself slightly more limited criteria. These are the ones that I couldn't imagine making music today without having been inspired by them."

Click the image of Moby below to begin the Baker's Dozen countdown of his favourite albums, which includes hunting down obscure Bunnymen side projects, and having tea and playing guitar with David Bowie.

Moby_2013_1380024725_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

Rein Schommer
Sep 24, 2013 12:56pm

I hate to be a pedant but Bowie sings, "The European cannon is here..." on Station to Station. Other than that, an interesting list.

Gary Megson
Sep 24, 2013 1:32pm

"[Bryter Layter] is such a perfect record, the songs are perfect, the singing's perfect, the instrumentation (even though Phil Collins plays on the songs)..."

What?

jules
Sep 24, 2013 2:53pm

i would never have guessed that moby and i would have pretty much the same taste in music.

amida
Sep 24, 2013 2:57pm

In reply to Rein Schommer:

I hate to be a pedant as well, but I always thought it was "canon."

Nizzy
Sep 24, 2013 8:06pm

Phil Collins played on a lot of great records, including a couple of Eno ones, and Brian worked on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Don't be so precious, Moby. Having said that, thanks for remembering the Will Sergeant 'Grind' thing. Quite a few of us bought it.

julio
Sep 24, 2013 8:43pm

i dont really like none of the albums moby made - i would go happilly with one of his 02 compilations of singles - but he has a great taste on music, for sure, and his choices and the way he talk about 'em is really inspiring! nice article!

Apop
Sep 24, 2013 8:49pm

I'll echo Jules - good grief there's a lot of records here that i would list among my favorites. And i would describe them similarly as well - by the time OMD arrived to the States they were half way to rubbish. I recall playing Organisation to some friends and they could only scratch their heads "this isn't the same band as 'If You Leave'". Uh, yeah, it is. Gotta love the shout out to Will Sergeant, as underrated a creative force as there is.

Apop
Sep 24, 2013 8:53pm

By the way, Moby, yes please do forward Mr. Sergeant's email addy to us, i'd love to ask him for a copy of that record.

wellwellwellington
Sep 24, 2013 8:57pm

I strongly believe Moby means “The Shamen” instead of The Shaman. “E’s are good, E’s are good, it’s Ebeneezer Goode”

cliff
Sep 24, 2013 9:46pm

Eeriely close to my typical music taste. One artist that i think is missing (or he might not be aware of) is John Foxx. His different styles be it his ambient Cathedral oceans discs, his cold futuristic desolate cityscape pieces or his more striaght forward releases are all very interesting. Surprised none of his works featured here...

Joe A
Sep 25, 2013 7:32am

Some amazing choices here.'Music for Stowaways' is one of my favourite albums,one of the lost gems of the early 80's.

Sep 25, 2013 11:02am

I love being a pedant. The Silver Apples song is called 'I Have Known Love', the art students were likely on LSD, not LCD, and Paid In Full is typoed as Played In Full.

Sep 25, 2013 11:30am

bryter layter - there's a y in the later.

autechrejambo
Sep 25, 2013 11:30am

'The' Aphex Twin?? Just gonnae no ;)

Tenbenson
Sep 25, 2013 6:34pm

In reply to Nizzy:

Right enough, but he still didn't play on Bryter Layter...

Monod
Sep 25, 2013 11:26pm

John Foxx? Underpants

Sep 26, 2013 12:51am

In reply to Tenbenson:

He was great on 'Raw Power' and the first Television album though.

Tenbenson
Sep 26, 2013 6:34am

That Phil Collins sure is sneaky!

Moonee Ponds
Sep 26, 2013 10:40am

Music For Stowaways, Alles Ist Gut, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, & What's THIS For? Four of my very favourite records - Moby, if you ever need a flat-mate let me know... :)

StatusQuo
Sep 26, 2013 4:12pm

Moby, you listed some really nice influences and have produced some interesting music. However, I can't help but be disappointed by your lack of evolution and pandering to the mainstream.

CR78
Sep 29, 2013 1:22pm

In reply to cliff:

There's no way in hell he doues'nt own a copy of both 'Metamatic' AND 'Systems of Romance'...... As everyone should ;)

Sep 29, 2013 1:29pm

In reply to CR78:

..does'nt.....

Also, 'Architecture & Morality' is great but to me "Organisation" was just so much more beautiful and epic....'Stanlow'; ridiculous.

Now I'm off to annoy the neighbors with "Thirty Frames A Second"; timeless.

Nizzy
Sep 30, 2013 11:14pm

In reply to Tenbenson:

Ha haa! Cheers, mate.

Paul
Oct 5, 2013 1:04am

another person with major overlap on these records, only ones I don't have are GRIND (a friend has it) and that OMD (have their 2nd & 4th albums). lots of personal faves here - especially glad to see the DAF and BEF albums and the praise for "I Have Known Love" from Contact.