Black Sky Thinking

Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter
Martin Rossiter , May 26th, 2017 10:16

Morrissey was an inspiration to Martin Rossiter, whose band Gene share many fans with the former Smith. But after years of right wing blethering from Moz, Martin has had enough

I share a lot of fans with Morrissey (much fewer, I don't need to admit) and this is why I felt compelled to jot down my thoughts following his comments after the Manchester bombing.

As a teenager I bought a lot of Smiths records along with The Redskins, Billy Bragg, Heaven 17 amongst others and started to develop a love of Motown. What a lot of these records did was soundtrack my developing views of life, love and politics.

In the mid 1980s, music was still fairly tribal and people with the same taste would flutter around the same light, disparaging others that chose a different bulb. People would share articles, books, and thoughts and introduce names of thinkers, writers and poets that seemed like road maps to culture and understanding the world.

Morrissey was a big part of this process; he talked about feminism in interviews at an age when I couldn't even spell the word. He elucidated gut feelings in his songs and gave them words, often beautifully crafted. He felt like a free thinker who celebrated the emotionally and financially downtrodden.

Sadly but unsurprisingly, in his statement about the Manchester bombing Morrissey is guilty of dog whistle Islamaphobia. His comment "Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an 'extremist'. An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?" shows that he is guilty of what he claims the media and politicians are guilty of; not saying, "what we all say in private". What is that you are not saying Morrissey? Are you suddenly afraid of a word? An extreme WHAT Morrissey? Go on, spit it out, and say what you mean. He won't though, he's smart enough to give himself a linguistic escape route, and his words are just about vague enough that he could claim he's been misunderstood. He is the coward accusing others of cowardice.

Morrissey advocates a cricket green England, an England where we tolerate immigration in small numbers, an England where it's exotic to have a 'brown' neighbour? If he believes that, he should have the nerve to say it rather than taking the gutless route and insinuating it. This is a millionaire who has spent years living abroad who doesn't seem to understand modern Britain, a man who would not be moved to tears by the beautiful words of Manchester poet Tony Walsh, a man who has as much of a grasp on wonderfully multicultural Britain as I have of particle physics.

What also goes unaddressed by Morrissey's statement is that the Muslim community in Manchester and the UK as a whole have condemned the bombing despite the fact they have no need to. The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian.

I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I quietly remained a Morrissey apologist for many years. I didn't want to admit that someone who wrote songs that helped me in my youth could become an alt-right poster boy. I stopped buying his singles years ago but continued buying albums until 2009. My group Gene also supported him in 2004 at the Meltdown Festival. I really wish I had been as convicted as I am now and refused to share a platform with him. For that I am truly sorry.

After The Smiths split, his lyrical tone started to shift with the release of his first solo album. Two songs stood out, the first, 'Ordinary Boys', contained the lyrics "Ordinary Girls, supermarket clothes who think it's very clever to be cruel to you". Suddenly it seemed he was condemning the people he used to champion. It saw Morrissey turning against the working classes, the people as a child he lived cheek by jowl in 1960s Manchester.

The same album, Viva Hate, has a song called 'Bengali In Platforms' that contains the words "Life is hard enough when you belong here". It is a dreadful caricature of an Asian man trying to integrate into British society couched in faux sympathy for his plight belied by the lyric above. The song also contains the line "Shelve your Western plans". This is worrying in two ways. Firstly, Morrissey is a very capable writer, who I believe, considers every word and decided to choose 'shelve' as appose to stop, cease, quit, end and halt. It plays with the stereotype of British Asians running corner shops. As a fellow writer I understand the power of every word choice and the impact it can have, I believe this was deliberate. Secondly and equally importantly, the line also shares sentiments with the far right. 'Shelve your Western plans' is a synonym for 'England for the English'. It's 'go home P***' in more poetic language with a prettier tune. (For anyone who fancies stating the obvious here, P*** is sadly still an insult used against people of Indian, Bengali and Bangladeshi origin as well as people of Pakistani origin)

With songs like 'Asian Rut' and 'National Front Disco' (which contains the repeated line, "England for the English") Morrissey has skirted around the subject of POC in the UK, but both songs are lyrically too opaque to draw concrete conclusions. Either way he seems determined to dip his quill in that particular inkwell.

More importantly in recent years, are some of Morrissey's comments in interviews. He's said the following:

*"If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent."

*Talking about the Jimmy Savile abuse investigation, saying: "2013 enlightenment can't be applied to dark and dim nights of 1972, otherwise every singer who ever slept with a 14-year-old would suddenly be behind bars – and that would take a lot of bars"

*To Q magazine he said he didn't "really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other."

*He described the Chinese as a "sub-species"

*He has expressed his admiration for Nigel Farage and his divisive immigration policies.

*He claimed the BBC, were biased against Front National candidate Marine Le Pen in a TV debate stating "Last night Marine Le Pen easily won the French election debate. Today both the BBC and CNN say Macron won the debate. This is precisely why mainstream news media outlets cannot be trusted to tell the truth. Their private agendas are more important than facts, reality, or their duty to the people."

It's time people stopped making excuses. Music is hugely important but some things matter more. Morrissey walks a lazy path, contrary for the sake of being contrary. Like a comedian, whose only trick is to be more controversial than anyone else, with no concern for the hurt inflicted. Words matter, Morrissey, and you should understand that more than most.

Well well
May 26, 2017 12:31pm

Morrissey is spiralling the plughole, but he seems to know whereof he speaks:

"We may seem cold, or we may even be
The most depressing people you've ever known
At heart, what's left, we sadly know
That we are the last truly British people you'll ever know
We are the last truly British people you will ever know
You'll ever... never... want to know "

DanikaKellway
May 26, 2017 12:31pm

Get a grip Martin - yourself and Morrissey do not align politically, so you throw your toys out of the pram? The World is full of crashing bores, sad to say you've clearly become one of them...

sam
May 26, 2017 12:34pm

bullshit.i loved you martin and loved gene..but you are nothing next to morrissey.he allways told it like it is.

Mr Reynolds
May 26, 2017 12:55pm

Well said Martin. Like you, I always chose to give Moz the benefit of the doubt over the years, but recently it has become more and more apparent that he probably truly is a xenophobe. He always writes his missives in a deliberately passive aggressive, vague style that never actually states in clarity what he means. For a writer of his skill, this has to be further material evidence of his true feelings on these matters. He always refuses to 'elaborate'. I know he is a contrarian by nature and hates to be 'known' - 'Whatever you think I am - I am not!' as Will Self once put it. But some things are just too important to play ego games with.

Jason Parkes
May 26, 2017 12:59pm

I've had enough of Morrissey too. The memoir was problematic and the novel dire. The treatment of Marr tunes is painful. He hasn't made a decent solo album in decades. He hasn't noticed the recurrent money issues that have finished most of his collaborations. Now he's sort of UKIP living abroad, in love with a home country that never existed. His anti-royal gripes are boring and he's sort of aligning himself with Final Solution-Twitter sorts like Katie Hopkins and Liz Kershaw. I might bin his back catalogue later and then have a nice steak ...

GMcCann
May 26, 2017 1:01pm

I was happy to read Moz flaying the Tory ghouls in his Manchester response (you'd have to be completely mindless not to understand that party has, and has always had, a vested interest in keeping things Exactly As They Are, even the horror) but he misfires from there. The wealthy, necessarily, lack any realistic social awareness. I mean, even John Lydon was in the news the other day praising the same awful politicians who would've had the Rotten young Sex Pistol strung up back in the day. Fame, fame, fatal fame...

Peter D
May 26, 2017 1:01pm

Excellent article. Fair play to Martin Rossiter, especially given the utterly hysterical and kool-aid like nature of a lot of Morrissey fans.

One thing was particularly grating.
Morrissey played all sanctimonious while he was splitting hairs about the way Theresa May or Andy Burnham expressed their condemnation of the Manchester attack.
Except that Morrissey is th esame being who, in 2011, a mere few hours after the Utoya massacre, compared the plight of the innocent teenagers that got gunned down to chickens in KFC or McDonalds. How sensitive.
And, in 1984, lest we forget, Morrissey glorified the IRA bombing of the Grand Hotel in Brighton where dozens of innocent people got killed and/or maimed, including hotel staff.
Morrissey is a CLOWN of the highest calibre and worse is those little squirming worms who stand by his every word no matter how pathetic.

Peter
May 26, 2017 1:03pm

In reply to DanikaKellway:

Wow.
Deep stuff.
And aside from a redundant quoting of a Morrissey song, what do you have to say about the ACTUAL issue? In your own words?

egon
May 26, 2017 1:14pm

"The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian."
These kind of comments are often rolled out and while their heart might be in the right place, it's simply not true or helpful to completely disassociate the phenomenon from some strain of islam and i'm not sure why you feel you hold the keys to what islam is in its true and pure form. It's like saying there were lots of peaceful Irish republicans and therefore the IRA had nothing to do with republicanism. Clearly it had *something* to do with it. the issue with broad movements and religions is that they are open to interpretation in what they mean and how their cause should be furthered, and so it's not right to ascribe them an essentialism that is most convenient for your own agenda.

Dj
May 26, 2017 1:18pm

Are you serious? It's one thing to judge another person, ya know; for any reason. Let alone song lyrics. I've never heard of you but Morrissey has the right to tell any story he pleases and every artist has the same right. If American kids can dance to anti American lyrics from a North Korean then Morrissey can have the same freedom of expression that affords you the opportunity to spread this poorly written, unintelligent and twisted political propaganda you are hopefully not to 'write'. I've never heard of you or your band but he didn't say anything wrong and you're twisting his words and inserting imaginary words and meanings like an obsessed psychopath. Get a life ya cunty little bitch and see a professional about your mental problems please. You need help. And encourage all your followers to get checked out too. We live in a world full of think it won't happen to them people and ya best get ready cause all the protesting against imaginary demons and throwing hissy fits like a spoiled baby won't protect you from the bad dangers of the world. Plus real Goths love Morrissey for myriad reasons but the thing that is most relevant is that he doesn't give a fuck about your feelings and neither do i. And I'm not sorry. And i shouldn't be. Because you are not my fucking baby and i am not required to give any fucks about you. If you live and die by the emotional well being of every asshole with an opinion you are dangerously insane.

May 26, 2017 1:28pm

In reply to Peter D:

Five people were killed in the Brighton bomb, 31 injured. I'm not saying that's okay, just you know, let's stick to actual numbers.

May 26, 2017 1:31pm

In reply to Dj:

I'm sorry i called you a cunty littlev bitch. That was uncalled for. I pretty much stand behind the rest. Liberals are obviously going bat shit crazy ese. He Didn't fucking say anything wrong. You can take that thought police shit and shove it firmly up your arse buddy.

Peter D
May 26, 2017 1:33pm

...And what are you trying to say?
Is that not enough?
Be ashamed you fool. There were people there who remained mtilated all theri lives while the little rockstar was strutting about that "what a shame that Thatcher didn't die".
What monstrous straws are you prepared to clutch at to justify/play down what that big-chinned idiot said in the wake of the Utoya Massacre (77 dead, 209 injured - I'll save you googling around)?

Harold Allen Ramis
May 26, 2017 1:50pm

In reply to egon:

I'd have to disagree with the analogy here slightly. The two things are usually separated into different terms 'Islamism' meaning the political movement (though the definition of this is somewhat under debate) and 'Islam' for the religion. I'm not sure it directly maps onto your IRA example, but it would be more like the difference between the IRA and Irish Catholics: IRA members most likely considered themselves Catholics but Irish Catholics aren't IRA members (I guess the example doesn't work so well because Nationalist movements like the Basque and Irish one's have a defined political goal whereas the goal in Islamism is varied depending on the different groups - some like ISIS wish to start a caliphate/state). I take your point that there is a link between Islamism and Islam, but it is one-way and subject to interpretation: usually Islamists want to impose a certain (other Muslim's would say mis-)interpretation of Islam and Quran rules on some aspect of society.

Anyway long story cut short: I think that not only is it OK for Martin to say terrorist X is not a Muslim, but this fact really needs to be repeated and emphasised because the terms for terrorists who are Islamic and Muslims are used interchangeably even when it is very much not appropriate.

Zingaro
May 26, 2017 1:52pm

Living out of the World is not good.spending Time in palace with his own court make him become his own bouffon. Rip

Sarah
May 26, 2017 1:58pm

Oh we hate it when our friends become successful....
In all seriousness though I've never heard that Q Magazine quote before and that really is absolutely abhorrent and I can't quite gauge any context where Moz would have made that an acceptable comment but I do think people need to put a few more things into context. I don't believe Morrissey ever described the Chinese as a "sub-species"he merely stated that to eat cats and dogs is to him unacceptable and inhumane and he cannot understand how it would be culturally acceptable at all. Indeed he disagrees with anyone who eats any animal, and condemns them as a sub-species. I don't believe this was a racial comment as it is always bandied around as being at all...
However I do agree with much of the above and specifically the insidious insinuations in that Manchester statement stunk to me - it is becoming harder and harder to be a Moz apologist. Should fans have to hang their heads in shame every time a new nationalistic quote appears on True To You?
I guess the bigger question now is the one that is being asked more and more frequently by music fans since people started speaking up about what really happened in the 70's - can the art be appreciated separately from the artist?
By not buying a Moz album since 2009 you've missed out on 2014's fantastic 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' which really was a great record.

Mike in Texas
May 26, 2017 2:08pm

Really...seems to me that now that Morrissey has a platform and who.s quotes are constantly being published we need to jump on the publicity train to keep our name out there. You will always be a foot note to The Smiths and tMorrissey. We all can't be relevant now can we?

TonyBadgers
May 26, 2017 2:13pm

In reply to Harold Allen Ramis:

But Abedi WAS a Muslim. He was a regular at his local mosque. I largely agree with Martin Rossiter's perspective: I think Morrissey has been an embarrassment for donkey's and I of course don't believe that extremists represent ordinary Muslims but let's not stray into the realms of alternative facts.

Dennis
May 26, 2017 2:16pm

"The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian." Then you sir, know nothing about Islam. Typical leftist multi-cult blather. Wake up Europe! Islam is the enemy and no Europeans will be safe so long as you continue to allow your societies to be swamped by Muslims, and in response to terror do nothing but blather on about how wonderful "multiculturalism" is, i.e. hating and destroying your own culture and allowing it to be swamped by Muslims who want to destroy you from within.

Morrisey is one of the few Brits who seems to have the courage these days to call a spade a spade.

Peter D
May 26, 2017 2:34pm

In reply to Dennis:

Yeah but what do you suggest? What do gobby attention seekers like Morrissey suggest?
I agree that there is a problem with Islam. Once again: THERE. IS. A. PROBLEM. WITH. ISLAM. No matter the pussyfooting, no matter the good intentions, the fact is that radical extremism of the deadliest kind is -today- mostly the sole preserve of Islam. How come you hardly ever hear of a buddhist or a methodist suicide bomber?

That said, what good do we get from criminilising whole swathes of the population? Mr Khan from my local corner shop has done nothing wrong. Perfectly lovely citizen, pays his tax, law abiding and helpful and friendly and so are his kids. Why should they get any stick for what someone else did?
What do you advocate?
Mass deportation? How many generations? Would two be enough? And to which country if they were born in the UK?
And what about converts? Do you know that the guy who attacked Westminster is March was born in Sussex and his mum was white English and his dad Jamaican?
So what do you suggest? Concentration camps?

If we lose our cool, don't we do exactly what the terrorists want?

Finally...Abot Morrissey. Again: he lost a golden opportunity to keep quiet after his callous statements post-Utoya massacre and pro-IRA in the wake of the Brighton bombing.

Peter D
May 26, 2017 2:38pm

5+31 people= 36 people.
That's three dozens.
It validates my point about dozens of people killed and/or maimed in the IRA Brighton bombing which Morrissey glorified.
You misse a golden opportunity to keep schtum there.

Raymond Sheerin
May 26, 2017 2:40pm

Nice one Martin,loved Gene, loved The Smiths, and Stephan Patrick. However Morrissey has forgotten to engage his brain once again.

Beep Beep
May 26, 2017 2:42pm

In reply to Dennis:

"Morrissey tells it like it is" - Who else "told it like it is"? A certain orange-skinned buffoon, now running the world's most powerful country. Who followed him? Racists and xenophobes, also telling other people, leftists, liberals, to "wake up", to the destruction caused by Muslims, "rapist" Mexicans, etc. Be proud, Moz. These are the kind of people who are sticking by you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt for many years. I felt you were simply a deluded nostalgic type, longing for a quaint England of the mind. The "cricket green" that Martin Rossiter very well mentions. I semi-excused your comments on English accents, because of this. I tried to understand your incomprehension of reggae and hip-hop as you simply not getting what it meant to people other than yourself. But enough is enough. I admired the way you spoke of fear of rejection, of loneliness, of outsiderdom. But guess what? Your fear of being rejected in the "darkened underpass" is fuck all compared to the fear of a black or brown person of being beaten up for the color of their skin, of having a brick thrown through their window, looked at by others as inferior, as not belonging, etc. You are showing that you have no compassion for outsiders other than those of your own skin complexion. And that doesn't make you a poet. It makes you a selfish, self-centered jerk. I love a lot of your work, but I will never intentionally listen to it again. You are dead to me.

Gary Megson
May 26, 2017 3:08pm

Morriseey's political opinions have always been ham-fisted and poorly considered, but it's only now he's got a platform on Facebook and his 'True To You' website that the worst of it comes out after he's had a few pints.

He was much better off in The Smiths when he'd leave the politics and Red Wedge appearances for Johnny Marr to sort out, as well as many other things.

Harold Allen Ramis
May 26, 2017 3:11pm

In reply to TonyBadgers:

What I'm saying is (1) he didn't do this because he's muslim, but because he's an islamist, and these are different things. Like I said in the example from egon, members of the IRA considered themselves catholic, but you shouldn't conflate IRA members and catholics.

And then I guess I should have added explicitly (2) the actions of this person seem to be incompatible with his religious beliefs (in the same way an IRA member can commit a terrorist act despite murder being a sin and not murdering being a commandment).

And so (3) it's legitimate to say they're "as much muslim as I am martian".

I mean there are 1.6 billion followers of Islam in the world.

But if you don't accept that logic, then I think that at least if we're going to say there is a problem with Islam, which is such a large and broad group, then we should be more specific and say there is a problem with Wahhabism etc.

Anyway I think I've gone sufficiently off-topic to ruin the comment section. Soz.

marc
May 26, 2017 3:19pm

this Gene fellow OWES any semblance of ANY kind to Morrissey. If the poetic genius of Morrissey did not tip his hat at GENE (way before he resurrected the defunct band during Martin Roster's aforementioned gig at Meltdown 2004 then this American, and the rest of the world who are most likely reading this article by Mr Rossiter would NOT BE READING THIS ARTICLE by Mr Rossiter. Get it? Come on you are a blubbering fat retired singer who's only glimpse of a "moment" came because Morrissey bothered to acknowledge your, arm, "music". I dont think Ive read such ironic dribble in years, for this, I'm grateful Mr Rossiter. You have put perspective back for me, although the perspective you had hoped for was much different. Its time to start paying attention to Morrissey again. His voice is own that matters, especially to the British landscape.

a
May 26, 2017 3:28pm

"The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian."

I take it you haven't actually read any Islam's core texts.

Mike Rourke
May 26, 2017 3:31pm

Might just buy some new Moz music to show that he still talks sense to the majority of us.

Ben Osborne
May 26, 2017 3:39pm

OH MORRISSEY, SO MUCH TO ANSWER FOR...

I never thought I'd see the day, especially as I've turned a blind eye so many times to Morrissey's immature and ill-advised comments in the past but this, for me, has finally tipped the balance. I can't, in good faith, show support and admiration, or stand in an audience to watch a man who's opinion I can no longer respect or tolerate.

As a life-long fan and (sometime) admirer, with friends who know my Smiths/Morrissey fandom is an aspect of my personality which to some degree defines me, I am now embarrassed to be associated with the man to any degree at all.

His lyrics and art will stand the test of time and still find their place on my playlists, but the man himself has for some years now stood as testament to why it's best for once-great artists to fade into the background with their dignity still in tact.

The sad thing is, WHAT he said in the statement about the politicians/public figures he named is (depending on your own political views) arguably inoffensive, it's the fact he used this particular situation as the backdrop for saying it.

At a time when people are reeling and in shock, he chose not to offer thoughts and wisdom, but to exploit people's outrage and hurt with a political rant. It seeks to further his own petty agenda by borrowing weight from a wholly inappropriate circumstance.

THAT is what's so despicable about it. Not the words themselves. And so, Morrissey, for me, it's goodnight and sadly not thank you.

Josh
May 26, 2017 3:45pm

Bravo Martin Rossiter. It's about time someone with a respected voice in the world of pop music stood up to Morrisseys unchecked and creeping racism. I quit buying his music and tickets (which only had, at that point, a 60% chance of being honored anyway) following the comments on the Chinese. For someone with so much purported love for animals on four legs, he himself seems to be the only creature on two for whom he has any affection. His unfinishable autobiography certainly proved as much. I will always have a whole chamber of my heart set aside for The Smiths, but there's no sanctuary for Morrissey in any of the other three...

Michael Warren
May 26, 2017 3:48pm

You have managed to put into words the shame many of us have had to carry in silence, hoping that the person who's voice i heard coming out of a tinny radio speaker and stopping time and tattooing that moment into my brain, to gaze upon its life changing beauty that gave belief in the power of a song to give your life meaning knowing you were not alone will one day reveal himself to be the person you felt sung the song of the oppressed. Thanks for what you have written and as I'm writing this feeling absolutely gutted i recognise I'm having my cathartic moment. His viewpoint may have become narrower but i will never let go of the moment when my world opened up. Again thank you Martin x

Db
May 26, 2017 3:57pm

In reply to Harold Allen Ramis:

Having gone to a catholic school in a heavily Irish city in this countryduring the lat 70's And early 80's, I can't begin to tell you how wrong you are.The people I went to school with were Very open about supporting the Ira and hating the English. Their was very strong support for the Ira amongst Irish Catholics in this country and that included supporting bombings in U.K. Cities.

Neil Smith
May 26, 2017 4:09pm

Needed saying Martin.

Colour me this way
May 26, 2017 6:16pm

I knew both Martin and Morrissey a little back in the days when Morrissey still mattered and people thought Martin did. Most of the quotes Martin uses here as evidence for Mozzers "racism came before and during the years when Gene were dining out on The Smiths comparisons that made their name and when Martin was happily posing for photographs with Mozzer...one of them may still be on his Twitter feed. I can't believe that Martin has only been awakened to all of this by the remarks made after Manchester...can I be so bold as to suggest that this is just a way to remind people that he still exists even if he doesn't matter anymore?

I also find it odd that in the wake of children being murdered by an Islamist terrorist, "brave soldier of the caliphate" as his mentors would have it, that it is Mozzers remarks that have going Martin to his keyboard and not the evil act that prompted then.

Understanding that Islamism is a real, clear and present danger to the civil, sometimes civilised, society that allows us to even listen to sings like "Be My Light Be My Guide doesn't make you a racist or an Islamophobe. Muslims are people who follow a religious set of principles...Islamists want to destroy our world.

What do I know though. I was never in a band who could count Danny from Embrace as a personal friend.

Peter D
May 26, 2017 6:30pm

In reply to Colour me this way:

Maybe you were too bsy thinking of how to best argue the toss that you forgot that Martin Rossiter is not a political columnist and therefore there would be very little point in having him writing a "critique" of the heinous acts of Manchester on 22/05, or disecting matters of national intelligence or security. This even my 3-year-old daughter would be able to grasp.

On the contrary, given that the Big Child with the Big Chin played the hosepipe opinionator (in one fell swoop) on terrorism/Royal Family/government/national secrity/Andy Burnham/Sadiq Khan/what-everyone-is-thinking, it is fairly apt that a former fan-cum popstar himself (albeit for a brief spell) wrote the impact that Morrissey's "words" had on him.

Now...on the actual matter... WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What does Morrissey ACTUALLY suggest?
And what about the spectacular pathtic hypocrisy of lecturing politicians on how they should word their condemnation against a terorrist act when Morrissey has (poor) form when it comes to his being gobby in the wake of terrorist acts (Utoya, IRA, ALF, Prince Charles)?

tony m
May 26, 2017 6:50pm

John Peel once said his favouite tshirt was his green Gene one. I had the same. Fuck knows where it is now. Am in agreement with most of the artical but weren't these accusations all raised in NME's This Alarming Man artical back in the day? Also I think Mr Rossiter is wrong about Ordinary Boys. To me its not condemning these people, just saying how it is/was.

steve
May 26, 2017 6:51pm

Martin, you lost me sir. Morrissey was making a snide reference to Asian shopkeepers because he used the word 'Shelve' as in 'Shelve your western plans? How ludicrous. I have been to some dodgy English lit' lectures where seemingly every sentence is loaded with nuance, symbolism and hidden meaning - but this takes the biscuit. Sure, Morrissey talks a lot of twaddle these days. And he pushes my personal level of tolerance as he pontificates on England from his t bungalow at the Chateau Marmont, however, he is correct about one thing. The media, the establishment, whatever you wish to label it, are pathologically afraid of using the word Muslim or Islam when it comes to attacks like the one carried out in Manchester. Indeed, a word has been minted for those who press for the I word - "ISLAMOPHOBE'. A word engineered to be equated with anti-semitism, homophobia, or other prejudices that we abhor and condemn. The call to violence and the justification for it are explicitly stated in the sacred texts of Islam. It is not a religion of peace, and it never has been. This theologically sanctioned violence is there to be activated by any number of offenses, including but not limited to apostasy, adultery, blasphemy, and even something as vague as threats to family honour. This violence is not just confined to the butchers of the Islamic State, violence and religion go hand in hand in the Islamic world. It is Pakistan, where any statement critical of the Prophet is labeled as blasphemy and punishable by death. It is Saudi Arabia, where churches are outlawed, and where beheadings are a legitimate form of punishment. It is Iran, where stoning is an acceptable punishment and homosexuals are hanged for their “crime. against God” We have now had almost 15 years of policies and pronouncements based on the assumption that terrorism or extremism can and must be differentiated from Islam. Again and again in the wake of terrorist attacks around the globe, politicians have declared that the problem has nothing to do with Islam itself. For Islam is a religion of peace. It will no longer do for Muslims to claim that their religion has been “hijacked” by extremists. The murderers of IS cite the same religious texts that every other Muslim in the world considers sacrosanct. The very substance of Islamic thought and practice must be challenged and put up to the light. We need to hold Islam accountable for the acts of its most violent adherents and demand that it disavows the key beliefs that are used to justify those acts. Otherwise, the spiral of death and carnage will continue. I have had enough of candle light vigils, Facebook posted platitudes and community sing a longs - I have had enough of people being labelled bigots and racists for challenging Islam and the Muslim community's collective apathy towards those who murder in their name.

Peter D
May 26, 2017 7:00pm

In reply to steve:

I agree with some of what you wrote, steve. People within Islam need to take a long look in the mirror, and quickly, becase there is a big problem lurking within their ranks.
That said, it's not true that it's "the great unsaid". The Sun, the Mail and the Express have been banging on hysterically about little else, inclusing making up stories about it.

In any event, again, what does Morrissey suggest? Apart from writing essentially what Kate Hopkins did post 22/05, what EXACTLY does he suggest?

What is the government going to say..."yes people, enough know, kill all muslims including the perfectly innocent ones that work and study with you"? What. Do. You. Suggest?

And isn't he ashamed, at least a fragment, about the fact that he in the end either glorified acts of terrorism (IRA in the 80s), justified them outright (ALF) or calllously and insensitiviley played them down (Utoya in 2011)...and now he's playing all pios and offended about the "establishment"'s reaction? To me that is the biggest nonsense of all, and one that proves he was - as per usual - just seeking attention.

RF
May 26, 2017 7:12pm

National Front Disco speaks about the boy being 'lost' to the National Front. And by suggesting that they have a disco is clearly mocking. Just because he's not falling over himself to be left wing doesn't make him the total opposite. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary. And the bomber was a Muslim. No one thinks that means all Muslims are terrorists but its patronising to pretend there's no issue.

May 26, 2017 7:39pm

In reply to RF:

Mozza mozza mozza am i stil ill

dhanishattuck
May 26, 2017 8:13pm

So, what you are saying is political correctness is more important to you than music or free speech. Got it.

Steve
May 26, 2017 8:20pm

In reply to Peter D:

Agree Peter D. Sometimes in the name of being seen as 'truthful' or above the established norms and conventions, Morrissey opens his mouth and appears an arse. His comments are all too often asinine and empty headed ... all delivered in an attempt to land him center stage. Sad really when one considers how intelligent and thoughtful he once appeared.

Peter C
May 26, 2017 8:37pm

In reply to Steve:

What is Possible Correctness. In 2017. ??

Stop Doing. Keep Posting.

Click.

Ben
May 26, 2017 8:44pm

The real interest in the article is why Martin stuck by Moz for so long, which he doesn't explore enough for me. That Morrissey is a bit dodgy has been public knowledge since Bengali In Platforms and the Madstock debacle, although in recent years he has gone the extra mile to ensure that anyone who might not have realised is up to speed. That said, I'm still in denial about Bryan Ferry possibly being a bit of a dick.

Kell
May 26, 2017 8:49pm

Sad to see just how many right wing arseholes are readers of The Quietus. You'd think they'd be happier over at Phil Collins' website...or Blood & Honour.....

May 26, 2017 9:18pm

Moz will never be dead to me.
I grew up in the 60s and 70s,I remember what it was like to be free of fear and to enjoy our England.
Now it's a distant memory.
Will we ever get those basic feelings back,I doubt it.

May 26, 2017 9:21pm

The Smith's were-are the best band ever, Morrissey is a big mouth,but ilove his music

Dominic Pentland
May 26, 2017 9:36pm

This guy owes his career to Morrissey. His job was as a Morrissey imitator in a band named after a Smiths song, that did nothing memorable. Slagging off lyrics that he could never have the wit or inteligence or originality to write.

YarnellRoberts
May 26, 2017 9:37pm

Morrissey is doing just what he's supposed to...following the official narrative. Why be mad? He's not suggesting a false flag. Why, the former social outcast even has his own official Facebook page now. He might as well do that $mith$ reunion. He's not doing a damn thing but going by the script!

Flemish vagabond
May 26, 2017 9:47pm

"The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian."
Really, Martin? You must be a Martian then and a completely delusional one too.

lee
May 26, 2017 10:09pm

Morrissey is a human being and like any other human being he should be allowed to vent after such a sickening attack in any way he wants. Alpha and Omega. Free speech in the moment is just that, anything after is thought out.

May 26, 2017 10:15pm

I have no wish to defend Mozza, but he is merely symptomatic of the decadent phase of identity politics.

May 26, 2017 10:42pm

Music is an artistic endeavour.Those who make it are entitled to voice an opinion.I try not to allow those opinions to ruin my enjoyment of the music.Passion itself is worthy of praise. Musicians are only people after all. Take it all in then form your own opinion.

May 26, 2017 10:43pm

Used to love Morrissey before I knew he was a narrow minded racist. Please Mr. Morrissey, bash your own head with a shovel. Thank you & goodnight.
PS.....All you Trump supporters please jump off the roof of your trailer and get a life.
All the best!

May 26, 2017 10:49pm

In reply to Dennis:

oliver leeford
May 26, 2017 10:52pm

Gene were to the Smith what Oasis were the Beatles ,

oliver leeford
May 26, 2017 11:04pm

For many years i went against public opinion in my disdain for Morrissey, glad to see the rest of the country has caught up. for what it's worth, i always noticed an overwhelming right wing element in his fan base, Iron Maiden were much better, far more literate, intellectual - truth is the daughter of time , as the Bard once said. The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace, is an infinitely better read than List of the Lost,

Mark Brindley
May 26, 2017 11:23pm

I've always admired you and loved your music and lyrics but you know as well as we all do that most of those comments Morrissey made are snippets without the full understanding of the piece. You've been my idol for years but get off your soap box and realise that Moz is saying (harshly I admit) what we are all thinking. This needs hard talking and not pussyfooting!

Susan
May 26, 2017 11:24pm

Please can all you apologists fuck off. I'm not a Gene fan but that's irrelevant. What matters here is someone has very eloquently expressed his opinions about Morrissey's vile insinuation that the British Muslim community is somehow to blame for the Manchester bombing.He has backed it up with a litany of, at best, racially dubious comments.
We should all be applauding Martin for having the balls to potentially alienate his fanbase while writing the truth.
You people who continue to defend Morrissey need to grow up and look at life beyond your precious record collections and realise it is everyone's duty to call out racism when they see it. My only criticism of Martin is that he didn't do it sooner, but at least he bothered to say something in the end.
Morrissey/Katie Hopkins...same thing.

Janis
May 26, 2017 11:35pm

In reply to Beep Beep:

I doubt he gives as fuck about you anyway, you cunt.

Janis
May 26, 2017 11:36pm

In reply to Db:

In that case they can fuck themselves - and I'd tell them that to their pathetic and bitter faces.

May 27, 2017 12:22am

What is so sad is that you're angry with Morrissey's comments because he is grieving differently than you. What makes your way right? Since when is there a politically correct way to grieve? Shame on you for your judgement.

toryjames
May 27, 2017 3:55am

"When the sycophant turns on you" It sounds like a great Morrissey b-side.

tko
May 27, 2017 4:10am

well, i really enjoyed all of gene's albums and singles

Sighm
May 27, 2017 4:23am

In reply to sam:

That's a ridiculous thing to say. martin has been very brave. I hope mozzphiles like you stop being suhc blind followers.

May 27, 2017 4:29am

In reply to RF:

We've heard this all before. It's a defense that Mozz fans have trotted out ad nauseam. One of the most important things about National Front Disco now is that it was the beginnning of Mozz ambiguously flirting with right-wing politics.

Lead your recycled defense out of this please. Try some original engagement.

Andre D.
May 27, 2017 4:50am

In reply to Sarah :

Wisest and truest words of the whole debate, Sarah (including the ones about "World Peace" being a fantastic album: it is). Morrissey's opinions have become harder and harder to accept, lately, but not everything he says is utter shite. Then again, he went out of line too many times, to be given so much credit still.

Josh Hamacher
May 27, 2017 7:19am

C U C K

Dante
May 27, 2017 7:20am

I don't really see the point in an article like this (click bait right?), most people know their minds so an article like this is hardly going to convince them otherwise. Much prefer to see an article listing some underrated albums.

May 27, 2017 8:07am

If lots of people have pointed out the anti national front lyrics, that's because it's true! So let's acknowledge it for balance

Samantha
May 27, 2017 9:40am

Morrissey is a racist (?) Can somebody Please forward me the ORIGINAL recording / narrative that proves Morrissey to be a Racist. Morrissey is Right Wing? Again - somebody Please send me Morrissey's ORIGINAL - UN_FUC%ED with recording that proves this to be true. Everything we see as vocalised by Morrissey (?) is via press. 99% of which is biased, and finely tuned to put a successful person down. When you are getting the spiel from a third party, it is largely hearsay.

Solid Air
May 27, 2017 10:52am

"As a teenager I bought a lot of Smiths records..."

As a teenager being key.

If you're a functional adult and give Morrissey serious attention, you've growing up needs doing. A spiteful man is bad enough, but so cowardly with it. Truly pathetic.

gup
May 27, 2017 10:55am

that was a waist of time, not interested in morrisey less interested at how you feel about him

timetogo
May 27, 2017 12:08pm

I don't agree with many of his opinions on race and its sad that he supports Farage etc., but the guy is still an absolute genius and has a right to express his contested views. Moz also has many left-wing views but is just a more intelligent and talented songwriter than this fella who I've never heard of to be frank and have no intention of tracking down his music. I suspect his band have never made it because his lyrics and music are as predictable and sanctimonious as his opinons

jules
May 27, 2017 2:17pm

this is total fluff. an article built on virtue signalling. gotcha'.
never been a Morrisey fan, and dont really care what he has to say.

"The person that committed this atrocity is as much Muslim as I am Martian."
this is completely false, and a very odd thing to say.
he WAS a Muslim. these extremists are EXTREMISTS.
they take that book and their "god" and their ideals very seriously.
he was a muslim. like the last one. like the last one...
clearly this is Islam related, and until people admit this and start an open dialogue in a truthful manner about it nothing will change.
just bury your head in the sand. or tweet a #prayfor.

its 2017, we should be at the point now that ALL religions are open for all out criticism.
try and seperate the people and the religion, so we can have a discussion about Islam that doesnt come off as an attack against the people as a whole.
We do it with Christianty, Catholicism, Judaism.
why is Islam currently the only religion that we dare not question?

Jeane
May 27, 2017 5:31pm

In reply to jules:

Well said. By this reckoning, MR is not a Martian, just a regular guy who professes to be a Martian and regularly attends Mars. And if a Martian turns out to be a murdering bastard, you can still say he's a Martian. It's not offensive. We know the other Martians are ok and could even help root out more evil Martians.

areAman
May 27, 2017 10:52pm

people, have you not yet learned, somehow, that as soon as you use the term "politically correct", nearly everyone knows that nothing else you say is worth listening to? how are you all still this dumb?

morrissey can take is faux empathy for the children of wherever he's whinging on about and shove it. right wing d-bags who think they have an ally in him now are using the same dumb lingo (tho, to be fair, they know no other kind...) about him that they used about Trump. "he tells it like it is!", etc. no, neither of these out-of-touch fancy-lads actually knows how things are enough to tell us how things are. morrissey is no closer to working folks and the lower classes than your average millionaire. once upon a time, yes, but that was a long, long time ago. who are all these right-wing idiot music "fans" who are never, ever able to decipher song lyrics correctly, anyway? and how does someone who was once as great a songwriter as morrissey fall off so hard, to the point where he actually ends up courting these right-wing simps? life is sometimes very sad.

May 28, 2017 6:05am

You are an idiot and Morrissey is wise and the real deal

GFY
May 28, 2017 6:09am

You are an idiot has-been and Morrissey is brilliant and the real deal.

Your Islam defending virtue signaling and vacuous platitudes don't fool us any more.

Go get your paycheck from some Soros-funded group that pays you and then crawl back into some hole.

Graham
May 28, 2017 9:50am

Morris set once carried so much credence given extra poignancy by his distinctive and almost revolutionary tone. It was the latter which fooled us all and he is no more of an inspiration than one of the checkout people he derides.
We do though all allow musicians far too much gravitas and hang onto a word or phrase we have produced in our own minds to explain this complicated world. The familiarity of thought is then given far too much importance. Us non nusicians are the silent majority, whose private thoughts never get aired and whose impact on those around us is minimal. Martin's article is though provoking but still borrows and mounds evidence to fit the narrative. We are all vulnerable thinkers but all of us are capable of digging deep to find love, with or without an accompanying chord.

Thomas
May 28, 2017 12:02pm

It takes strength to be gentle and kind.

Love your enemies.

Peter D
May 28, 2017 12:28pm

Three days on, and none of the Morrissey-Taliban brigade that spouted "ad hominem" attacks and rustled up the insult "has been" for Martin Rossiter has been able to explain Morrissey's idiocy when he's all glib about how Andy Burnham or Theresa May should word their statement while he quipped something appallingly insensitive hours after the Utoya massacre. Not to mention what he vomited out during the years when the IRA was spilling the blood of dozens of civilians on English streets week in week out.
Still waiting. Don't forget the kool aid.

Alexis
May 28, 2017 12:31pm

When did tQ start pushing political agenda?

Having an issue with the fundamentals of Islamic dogma does not make one right-wing, racist or a bigot.
As soon as I hear those words it's pretty clear the person arguing the position doesn't have much of a leg to stand on, so reverts to name calling.
Personally I have never identified with right wing politics or ideals. I would consider myself a centrist, leaning more to the left. I am however no friend of religion. They're all poison as far as I'm concerned. Yes, some more so than others.

I am puzzled that so many can be pro equal rights, feminist, LGBQT and also an apologist for a religion that is anti all of these things.

I have a beautiful, strong Iranian friend who fled her family, country and religion. She has been outcast by her family and can no longer return home out of fear of violence.
What other religion threatens death to those who leave?
It was her that schooled me on Islam and Sharia law, and it's her view that the core principles of Islam and the modern "free" world can't co-exist. Violence and subjugation is inherent within the religion.
It's amazing to watch her come across an apologist and really take them to task on the topic. I should get her on this thread.

As to not liking someones art because they might be a wanker or hold different opinions to you is really juvenile.
If that were the case I'd have to get rid of half my music collection.

Peter D
May 28, 2017 12:46pm

In reply to Alexis:

It's a bit more complicated than that.
Morrissey has squirted out a variety of really nasty statements over the last few years. Things that are either plain dumb, or totally insensitive, whichever angle you look at them. Unless you are a blind 15 year old Morrissey fanatic, the type who thinks that their idol could possibly do no wrong (and I assume we both condemn blind fanaticism here, right?).

You cannot say that 97 (sic) teenagers gunned down in a bloodboth are no big deal compared to the chickens in KFC or Maccie D's and then split hairs over Andy Burnham's statement of condemnation of the Manchester atrocity.

You can't quip that Prince Charles could do with a bullet in his head and then play the victim.

You can't smugly gloat about an IRA bomb that maimed dozens of people in the midst of a bloody terorrist campaign (throught the 80s and 90s) and then whinge that the Queen didn't call off her party on May 23rd.

You can't call the Chinese a "subspecies" and play all pious.

You can't say that holocaust-denying pedigree-fascist certified-racist Marine Le Pen is a victim of a media conspiracy and pretend that your flirtation with the far right is the fruit of the nasty minds at the NME.

You can't accuse the "politicians" (how simplistic, how populistic) of living in a protected bubble 11 months after one was murdered in Leeds, while you walk around surrounde by bodyguards and you live in gated mansions without sensing a little bit of the pathetic ridicule that comes out of your millionaire gob.

Grow up, Morrissey. To anybody past the age of 15, with any more than 2 brain cells and with a head that doesn't solely serve the purpose of splitting their ears, you are simply an overweight old clown.

Siobhán Ni Catháin
May 28, 2017 4:00pm

In reply to Peter D:

I rarely comment, but really felt compelled to write something in relation to the article, and some of the comments that came afterwards. I have often felt that Morrissey is arguing for balance, and nuance with his statements. I think that he sometimes goes too far, and conflates issues - but surely the point is to make people question and reflect about complacency, and look for balance?

Many people on the left were shocked with Brexit and Trump, however, the clues were probably always there, if people read between the lines, instead of living in an echo chamber, it is so easy to surround ourselves with people that think alike - it is completely understandable, but isn't part of us being on this planet to promote kindness, peace, and try to understand each other a little better, and our differences, while not compromising each persons right to worship who they want, love who they want, be who they want, as long as no harm comes to another?

When Morrissey was making statements about the IRA in the 80's/90's, as has been mentioned on this thread, surely again it was about balance, prodding the establishment a bit, about the repulsiveness of a British Empire and its own bloody hands that created the IRA in the first place? He's constantly been at this provocation, "and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell" is a lyric that springs to mind-he clearly doesn't believe in empires,all kinds, including the empire of the fast food industry, and essentially isn't it all about the unchecked powerful, preying on the vulnerable? I have always taken that from The Smiths work, and his own solo work, and found elements of comfort within that.

Sometimes, perhaps, Morrissey's comments get conflated with other things that they shouldn't, and perhaps, Morrissey sometimes uses this avenue, also, to provoke, and sometimes it falls flat, and he should be pulled up on those things. But it is so reductive to suggest that Morrissey is fascist, his life has always been about 'other'. He surely never meant Jo Cox when he was talking about Theresa May, however clumsy a statement it was, it was a statement about those that live away from real society, safe from harm, yet pontificate about how the rest of us should live, making decisions for us, ruling us - some might think Morrissey is similar, I don't - I think he is disappointed with the world, and its cruelty, and I can understand that. Jo Cox lived within society, doing great work, he surely didn't mean her, or the many people like her, doing great work. I took from it that he, once more, was trying to question people's complacency, when he said Brexit was 'magnificent' I took it as a statement of defiance at the established order, similarly by producing those James Baldwin
t-shirts, which caused huge offence, but I simply saw his love for James Baldwin-if only we had more James Baldwin's in this world.

From my own perspective, I am weary about how often people hector, shout people down-the reactionary opinions are so tiring and boring. My hope is that we go towards a place of nuance, reflectiveness, and understanding, and reading - I wish people read more, instead of reacting more, maybe. I don't know Morrissey, but I have a sense that the clues are in his lyrics, which have got a lot of people through many a long night. He should always be pulled up on statements that seem a bit 'off', and his intention is surely ultimately a good one, and even more tellingly, it has, yet again, stirred the pot.

Peter D
May 28, 2017 4:37pm

In reply to Siobhán Ni Catháin:

"I have often felt that Morrissey is arguing for balance, and nuance with his statements. I think that he sometimes goes too far, and conflates issues - but surely the point is to make people question and reflect about complacency, and look for balance?"

May I remind you he's not a guru or a spiritual leader, Siobhán, he's a singer.

In yor words that was not a word of condemnation for his appalling (and frankly creepy) comments about the Utoya massacre or the IRA bombing. Had he had the guts to say those things in a pub you can be sure he'd have had the living daylight punched out of him.

"When Morrissey was making statements about the IRA in the 80's/90's, as has been mentioned on this thread, surely again it was about balance, prodding the establishment a bit,"

Scary how deluded Morrissey's disciples are. He didn't "prod a bit", he said that there was no sorrow to be had about the iRA massacre where innocent people died or remained mutilated for life. You don't "prod a bit" in front of such atrocities.

Again, he liked to pretend that he was deeply offended by how apostrophes were used by "politicians" in the wake of 22/05, when he came up with the most Asperger-like insensitive pap in the wake of similar bloodbaths.

You don't "prod the establishment a bit" when real people are maimed, or when children are slaughtered (like in Utoya). If you can't offer sympathy, you should keep schtum.

Whether he is a fascist, for me it's a moot point. He's just produced to many idiotic, offensive, inappropriate statements that I've lost count. There's a pattern of extreme childishness and ignorance about a lot of what he says, whether it's the Royal Family (note that I'm against them, but he goes about it in such a robotic, binary and simplistic way) or the Falklands/Malvinas or meat eating (note that I don't eat meat, but AGAIN he goes about it in an extremely odious way).

Fair enough childish Year 10 quips about other types of music you despise (who cares?), but when it's people's lives or deaths that are being discussed he should have the grace to inform himself before opening his chinny gob. Mayor of London Sadiq Kahn, for instance. Morrissey criticised him from his bunker, but does Morrissey know that Khan has been living under islamist death threats for years PRECISELY for his secular stance and "pro-Western" on many things?

See what I mean? Shut up (Morrissey, not you), if you can't be bothered to inform yourself.

Siobhán Ní Catháin
May 28, 2017 4:51pm

In reply to Peter D:

@ Peter - I was making a more general point, but I appreciate your reply, and I also suspect that on some level we might agree re: certain aspects of Morrissey, but I don't see him as a guru (goodness!), or spiritual leader in any way, however, his recent statement is the subject of a Quietus article/opinion piece, so his words do carry some cultural relevance, and worthy of exploration - you yourself felt compelled to comment, also.

I think that sometimes his own statements are heavy-handed, but I don't think he is fascist, at all, and that really was why I wanted to add to the comments, which I stand over, and am not blinkered, just think he often gets maligned in as jingoistic way as others feel he comes across, I'm just looking for balance, though rarely achieve it. I also think that he often goes for the jugular, but still think he is deliberately being provocative. It would be interesting for someone to do a proper long form interview with him, and really get to the heart of the matter, maybe The Quietus can organise it.

Daniel
May 28, 2017 8:14pm

Wake me up when the Islamic apologists are all dead.

May 28, 2017 10:24pm

Yes, I thought the same about a person who is so articulate but words his statements in a very convoluted way, giving him chance to come back and change it slightly. I was a huge fan, going to Europe and around the UK, but it wasn't so hard to give up in the end. "Brexit is Magnificent" did it for me

carmel carrie
May 28, 2017 11:39pm

This article makes me mad on so many levels that I don't even know where to start

May 29, 2017 1:37am

My light, my guide. Thank you.

carmel carrie
May 29, 2017 2:34am

In reply to Susan:

everything in this article stinks

todd
May 29, 2017 8:05am

In reply to steve:

absolutely spot on mate!

todd
May 29, 2017 8:16am

In reply to jules:

Peter D
May 29, 2017 11:01am

In reply to todd:

"todd
3 hours ago

In reply to jules:
this is because their beliefs aren't open for discussion or reform. ALL muslims believe the Quran is the final unalterable word of God. "

A bit like Morrissey fans, then. They believe his is the ginal unalterable unquestionable Word of the Messiah. Even when a 3 year old can clock it's pure codswallop.

Loztralia
May 29, 2017 11:41am

In reply to Peter D:

You are doing good work, Peter. Every time I hear or read the standard "I am saying what others are too afraid to say - it's all about Islam" comment I try to do the same thing. Ie: ok, I'll buy that - Islam has a problem. You're right. Next move is yours: what do we do with this incredible insight? I've not yet had anything back but pissy little half solutions that could be done anyway, complete silence, or fascism.

Loztralia
May 29, 2017 11:45am

In reply to Alexis:

What's your answer to the fundamental impossibility of all Muslims to comfortably coexist with western society, then? Would you be happy with exile or would it have to be extermination? Go on...

Don Draper
May 29, 2017 7:47pm

when angela merkel said "Der Ansatz für Multikulti ist gescheitert, absolut gescheitert!" a german has again divided the history into now and before.

rossiter lives in the world of before. morrissey in the world of now. who's to blame?!

also, glad to see that poor rossiter is still hainted by mozz.

Nizzy
May 29, 2017 9:26pm

I can't be alone in being disturbed at the level of chinnist hatred in the comments section.

Chris
May 29, 2017 11:24pm

Don't give a shit about his political views, but The Smiths are fucking toilet, his lyrics are embarrassing, and I'd rather listen to a fat man pass a dodgy curry than listen to his voice.

pfft.

Chris
May 29, 2017 11:28pm

In reply to Chris:

Oh that was unfair. I suppose I do give a shit about his politics in that he's a poisonous, thick cunt who can suck a bag of mixed turds.

Everything else stands.

Enochs Powells
May 30, 2017 12:34am

Wow- so any debate about immigration and its effects is shouted down as " racist "- Viva le Democracy!

Tom
May 30, 2017 12:08pm

Martin,

I'm glad you had the courage to write this. I'm sure you'll take all sorts of abuse in the Comments section but you have hit the nail on the head. Moz has become an embarrassment and it's very, very hard to watch. I'm in America and I have an idiot for a President and I have to constantly be faced with the fact that some of my own friends and family voted for it. Now, on top of that, I have to deal with the trauma of my life-long musical idol is a racist right-winger too! I need therapy!

SamIAm
May 30, 2017 6:12pm

When you produce a body of work as robust, amusing, challenging, infuriating, beautiful, inspiring, damned, and flawed as Morrissey's eternal oeuvre, then we can talk. Otherwise, can it, you sad wannabe.

May 30, 2017 6:39pm

In reply to marc:

Wait, so you don't think there is anything to discuss here? Would it have made more sense written by someone who wasn't once in a moderately successful band? There's a lot of people here with fingers in their ears going, "LA LA LA LA" and being a bit affronted/ emotional. It rather reminds me of Brexit.

Alaric the First
May 30, 2017 10:22pm

Read " The Strange Death of Europe " by Douglas Murray for a more intelligent look at the concerns under discussion above.

dennis vandy
May 31, 2017 3:32pm

We all grow up and change. I think it is very honest to look at the world and see it differently than we did when we were younger. I do not always agree with Morrisey but i respect his music and I respect that he at does not stand quietly. I agree that politicians talk a lot about things that do not affect their lives.

Beatle Doug
May 31, 2017 4:56pm

In reply to dennis vandy:

No, people get old, but don't necessarily grow up.

Morrissey has always been a pitiful attention seeker, and a straight up contrarian arsehole. He found he could get that attention through his awful singing, shit lyrics and a certain set of viewpoints in the eighties but now the 'establishment' wouldn't give a fuck if he muttered some vaguely left wing stuff like all the other aging musicians with half a brain and a conscience, he's found a different set of viewpoints that will stir the hornets nest.

He's Katie Hopkins if she was a man, and could, sorry, couldn't sing.

Dave
May 31, 2017 7:34pm

Morrissey doesn't care what any of us think, which is part of the reason he's a great artist. And there's nothing wrong with fascism, nothing at all.

Ace Face
May 31, 2017 8:26pm

Sheesh, Morrissey is confusing; a human ball of contradictions... though I don't think he loses any sleep over that.

Dave n Chavs
May 31, 2017 11:03pm

In reply to Dave:

Yes, apparently there's nothing wrong with left wing fascism- no sireee nothing wrong at all.

Jun 2, 2017 2:28am

In reply to Beep Beep:

What about the fear of WHITE PEOPLE who can't go to gigs without an ISLAMIST threat?

While you're bending over backwards to show off your tolerance of other cultures, what about the white people who live in the UK.

I know, tolerance, tolerance, tolerance, tolerance, it's all our fault anyway, let's be apologetic for the rest of time, when they bomb us it's our fault for upsetting them with our nasty white culture.

We are the extremists.

Jun 2, 2017 2:44am

Martin Rossiter you make me puke.
You are a footnote at best in Morrissey's story.
The bomber wasn't a muslim. So the christian crusaders weren't christian as we were taught, because they were being bad. We should call them "crusading extremists"? What a load of dim-witted crap.
You say we live in a multicultural Britain, and make it sound like a land of Notting Hill carnival bunting and japes.
We live in a ghetto-ised country of self-inflicted segregation. Immigrants all, we live in our separate areas, for the most part only really engaging with others in business and superficial chatter. Muslims marry muslims, there is some assimilation between whites and Jamaicans / Africans, but other communities often encourage same-culture/religion marriage, many conservative Jewish families for example. We have very little idea of the daily lives of the other communities, and it is reasonable to be fearful of other religions and their faiths, there are few kind words in holy texts about "infidels" and "gentiles" and the Christian God offers damnation for those who don't believe.
I don't agree with everything Morrissey says, but at least he is brave enough to speak his mind in these times of a media largely populated with trite pc-isms, attempts to normalise feminism and extreme gender theories, and cringeworthy self-flaggelating Caucasian "spokespeople".
People like you, Martin, created the need for a UKIP, and most leftie-bashing happens because it's not enough for you to disagree with people you think are right-wing. In your authoritarian mind, the right wing is unacceptable, so you seek to tarnish the reputations of those you disagree with, to make them outsiders and dirty brands, to de-humanise them.
You are unable, ironically, to tolerate people of your own kind, who don't step to the same tune as you, because you consider their views inferior to your own. That is hateful, intolerant and worse than xenophobia, since most of your multicultural love is only a peacock display to show off, at the expense of people you don't know, actually living through the broken times of over-immigration to the UK.

Jun 2, 2017 2:53am

In reply to Kell:

And lots of intolerant left wing arseholes here too, what, were you hoping for a safe space echo chamber where you could all agree with each other and get free hugs?
Why oh why can't the loonie lefties tolerate opinions that differ from their own, so childish, and ironically is the biggest barrier to the rainbow world they want to create?

Jun 2, 2017 2:58am

Morrissey may be a racist - I have yet to see any compelling evidence of this other than quotes re-contextualised or simply made up by the press - but you sound far more narrow-minded.

If a favourite musician has different political views to yourself, then liking them still is your big chance to show you have a big heart and want a big-tent life full of tolerance and acceptance.
It is so sadly ironic that most of the left wing will only offer these values to people of different cultures, not their own.

Jun 2, 2017 3:04am

In reply to Susan:

Susan,

M did not say the "Muslim community were to blame", those were your words. He was mocking the mayor for being so tongue-ties by pc, that he couldn't use the words "Muslim" or even "Islamic". That, for us lovers of free speech, is worth lampooning, and M's comment was funny, too, not just the hate speech of yours.
As I have said on other posts, people like you are only aggressive and intolerant of your own kind, like an annoying school prefect we all want to be rid of, running around to your own agenda, acting like its for all of us.
We should all be decrying racism, huh? Well when did Muslims become a race? Did you think of that before you started pounding the keyboard like a vexed baboon?
Well, I'd like to decry your racism and hate speech against Caucasions. Tolerance and acceptance begin at home, it's easy for you to virtue signal against your own people, how about tolerating and understanding them, too?

Jun 2, 2017 3:09am

In reply to areAman:

HaHA! You asked a lot of questions there, so it's funny that you haven't realised the answer yet!

Maybe it's you who is wrong? You don't have the strength of mind to tolerate such a thought, but it looks that way from where I'm sitting.

If you and your opinions were so wise and "correct", how come they have brought no wisdom or understanding to you of the thoughts and feelings of others?

Jun 2, 2017 3:15am

In reply to Peter D:

Look at you and all those "You can't", "You can't" statements.

Who are you to state the rules of political discourse.

WHy must all statements be logically coherent? This is humans talking about human issues, not a bunch of computers having a daisy chain.

It seems you lack the imagination to deal with someone who has feelings and expresses them, rather than coming up with coldly worded statements that are "consistent".

M has made a dizzying variety of comments at various stages of time and at different ages. All we can do is take him as he is now, and address what he says in this time and space.

As for your labelling of people, that is really restrictive and conservative. Noone is just a "....", we are all more complex than that, even LePen will have had kind thoughts and done good things, you're being really childish there.

Brandi
Jun 2, 2017 4:52pm

I respect your political opinions and I don't agree with everything Morrissey says, BUT to imply he is rascist is insane!!! I live in Southern Ca, and if you see him in concert here, there will be very few white people!!!! He LOVES the Mexicans here (and in Mexico). And his favorite places to perform are in places like Jakarta, etc. It is almost hard to remember he is British when he performs in Cali. But asside from that. There are plenty of people who are sick of the denial of Islamic extremism. People's lives are more important than cowardice rhetoric.

montocat
Jun 2, 2017 9:12pm

In reply to egon:

well put. Your comparison with the PIRA is interesting - because people often wheel out 'but no one called them catholic terrorists'. Right, because they weren't. They were Irish republicans. And the people blowing up girls going to rock concerts aren't nothing - they cleave to an extreme brand of Islam ergo they are Islamic terrorists. What this rock star knows about the roots of their interpretation of the koran, I don't know.

Sid Vicious Fan Club
Jun 4, 2017 3:44pm

What happened to the Morrissey who condemned the Neo con wars? The man is an arse. And guess what Mozza? Your new right wing pals are boring beer monsters in the majority. Perhaps I should blame you for the IRA?

Jun 4, 2017 3:48pm

In reply to Dennis:

What exactly is your 'solution'? Come on we're dying to hear it. And who gets the bullets after you've dealt with the Muslims?

Bobi
Jun 4, 2017 9:14pm

I agree. Morrissey should shut up already.

Jun 6, 2017 12:18pm

Morrissey is the Jimmy Savile of racism. Many people know he's at it but nobody does anything to stop him while he's still alive.

Steven Augustine
Jun 8, 2017 8:28am

Theresa May slipping in polls: ooops, Turrist attack! Theresa May slipping even further in the polls: Oooooops, another Turrist attack! And you all think you're so clever.

sbpunk
Jun 10, 2017 1:57am

In reply to Beatle Doug:

Sounds a bit like John Lennon, the pregnant wife beating peace lover, the man who lead the band you take your name from. The working class hero who sang "Imagine no possessions" but lived in a big white mansion while singing it.

jake bradford
Jun 10, 2017 2:14pm

Leftists won't be happy until England is an Islamic Caliphate, and the last white person has been chased down.
Some utopia. This hasbeen's mewlings are cringeworthy cuckery.

Edward
Jun 12, 2017 4:50pm

I don't agree with everything that comes out of Morrisseys mouth - far from it - but I support his right to speak his mind - free speech anyone? Anyway, I will always love "Viva Hate" no matter what comes out of his mouth.

Joe Riordan
Jun 27, 2017 4:57am

In reply to egon:

Beautifully said.

just a man
Jun 27, 2017 4:58am

hahaha, another article bagging on Morrissey. Gotta love how the author's juvenile inability to deal with a difference of political opinion, plus pulling quotes out of context allows him to get on the moral high horse. no matter how insufferable Morrissey may or may not be, the pointless noise thrown at him is far worse IMO. I think they love hating him too much to let go / move on / fixate on something else.

mynameis
Jun 28, 2017 12:38am

Seems like this article's comments may have been targeted by far-right sympathisers not regular QMers?

Dave
Jul 2, 2017 5:54pm

Wow, what a whiny, bitchy article! It's attitudes like this that has Damned Europe!

It's somewhere in between
Jul 3, 2017 6:03pm

The older I get the more I realize that both the extreme right and the extreme left are just brainwashed cult followers spewing party lines and getting their undies in a wad anytime someone says anything they might have the opportunity to take as offensive in any way. Life and people are multifaceted. To take such an extreme side either way is a sign of ignorance and lazy thinking and this article more that proves this about its writer. To say Islam is no way to blame for these atrocities is the same thing as saying all muslims should be deported. Lazy. Morriseey speaks to the complicated sides of issues (often by being a contrarian, in order to give voice to a perspective that is being railroaded) it is precisely because he speaks in such a straight forward gruff INDEPENDENT voice that he still has the ability and credibility to do so. Mr. Rossiter would like everyone to think like him, or else they're wrong and bad people. Grow up. We need voices like morrissey's that globalist or nationalist institutions won't provide. I for one agree with him much of the time. It may be harsh to hear sometimes but the truth often hurts. Better to open your minds to ideas anoerspectives different then yours than to discount them completely. And morrissey may be dead to you mr rossiter but you were never even alive in the first place to me. If you felt so passionate about this shit where the f have you been? Moz has been vocal and active on many tough issues for most of his career. I've never even heard of you.

MZDFND
Jul 7, 2017 12:07pm

Martin, you're full of crap.
The tolerance of you, leftist, is weak enough to condemn an observation??? Marine won the debate. Macron-the-pussy won the election.
Really, Martin, stop your white knight state of mind.

Nev
Jul 8, 2017 9:51pm

Except Manchester was a false flag, so it's all irrelevant.

Paul
Jul 13, 2017 11:22pm

You're a socialist artiste. Yes, you’re different, just like everyone else. A single popular singer betrays Live Aid Values and your world collapsed.

Max
Jul 20, 2017 11:14am

When even left-wing intellectual powerhouses, such as Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens, decry Islam as one of the worst religions, I think you should get studying and acknowledge these issues. See how the legal system treats gays and women in majority Islamic countries. See rape epidemics across Europe, committed by refugees. Oh, and terrible bombings such as Manchester, where you should perhaps acknowledge some of the substance of Morrissey's argument instead of labelling 'right-wing' (I scoffed hearing this applied to Morrissey.) See the acid attacks occuring on average every '20 hours' in London. I know the majority of Muslims are good people, but Jesus Christ wake up. Morrissey is not blinded by acceptance of multiculturalism, and is wise enough to see practices among different cultures which you would not like to see in your neighbourhood.

Mr. Stereo
Jul 21, 2017 9:24pm

Morrissey is an artist that sees much beyond the PC and leftist bull* that permeates the media and the arts scene in the Western world. Please, keep your civilization suicidal tendecies to yourself. I am one who hopes we can still save our traditions, values and democracy. Others seem to wish to live in under authoritarian and barbarian rule. Good luck!

Jul 23, 2017 5:57am

Let's get things straight. This Martin Rossiter bloke is a nobody. A third rate 'singer' who only ever had his fifteen seconds of 'fame' because of his sycophantic nature towards the fella he so desperately tried to impersonate a la X Factor stylee. Fast forward a couple of decades to the time that Rossiter and his woefully God awful ensemble have been rightly consigned to the bargain bucket of history and this pip squeak chirps up because his hero doesn't hold the same political viewpoint as himself. Morrissey has always been quite clear about his thoughts so how comes it's taken all this time for this dimwit to cotton on?

It's Beginning To And Back Again
Jul 23, 2017 4:04pm

Riveting political writing from the Quietus, as always. Now if only y'all could get the guy from Shed Seven to write an essay regarding his thoughts on Brexit and Trump, and I could maybe finally get some sleep at night!

Chen UX
Jul 25, 2017 2:14pm

The Quietcucks

CL
Jul 27, 2017 9:30am

What a sad little man is Mr. Rossiter.

Louis Ferdinand C
Jul 27, 2017 6:56pm

Guys, you have to accept that any great musician, lyricist, painter, film maker, any artist can be stupid, ignorant, asshole, mean, devious, bigot, hopeless narrow-minded racist. And sadly, these traits tend to get worse with age. Or maybe it is just that an old racist is more pathetic than a young one. Experience does not seem to go with wisdom.