News

GNOD Turn Ten With Box Set
John Doran , January 5th, 2017 10:10

New studio material, rehearsal jams, unreleased versions, artwork and other GNODitties to raise money for Islington Mill's poorly roof. Main picture Elyssa Iona

Salford based sonic explorers GNOD mark their first decade of shining existence with the release of a box set.

The GNOD X box celebrates ten years of artistic endeavour but also aims to raise much needed funds for their home base and creative HQ, Islington Mill in Salford.

The band have lived and worked at the Mill for the last eight years and say the role the community/building has played in their development is "more than we can fully comprehend".

There are only ten copies of the recycled/ upcycled/ DIY package in existence and all of the music contained within it will never be available anywhere else. The box contains a lathe-cut vinyl album of new studio material recorded in 2016, a CDR of unreleased archive material, a CDR of a 50-minute long version of 'Vatican' and a cassette of rehearsal jams, not to mention several prints, stencilled cards and pieces of bespoke artwork created by members of the band, which all comes in a suitably distressed box.

To get your hands on this mouth watering box visit GNOD's tumbler account or email ingnodwetrust@hotmail.co.uk. There will be a review of the box set in John Doran's next Vinyl Staircase column.

James H
Jan 8, 2017 2:58pm

I love GNOD and wish them well with this release. However, is this Antiques Roadshow style avenue really the best way to go about things? “There are only ten copies of the recycled/ upcycled/ DIY package in existence and all of the music contained within it will never be available anywhere else.” Great for those who end up owning it (and I confess I thought about getting an offer in for a bit before deciding it was a little against my principles and also probably beyond my budget) but would a better idea not be to release all the stuff across a few formats? Maybe get a vinyl out, a tape, a CD, all in slightly more extensive runs? Then maybe make a bundle with some additional bits for those who want all 3? I do see the appeal of something “nice” for the collector but are we not burying some of this magnificent music well beyond the reach of the common man? Is such an attempt to target the wealthy collector over “the masses” in keeping with GNOD’s principles? And are they not now building up such a head of steam that they should be beyond such elitism? Does it even best maximise the financial haul from the endeavours? Hot potatoes – catch!

James H
Jan 8, 2017 3:01pm

Finally...."There will be a review of the box set in John Doran's next Vinyl Staircase column."
Is there really any point when only 10 people (and potentially a few of their mates) will ever hear it?

Jan 8, 2017 4:46pm

Some of this would be justified if it weren't for the fact that 100% of the money is going to the fund to help repair the roof at Islington Mill. Also, it's ridiculous to suggest that only a "wealthy collector" can afford to buy a box set. It costs the same as a ticket to a European music festival. Can only wealthy collectors afford to go to them? I bought one of the boxes. I can afford to simply because I don't drink, buy new clothes or go out. Does it make me wealthy? Not at all. My day job pays about £16k a year... Your attitude seems a bit churlish and off-point, given that all the band have done is something selfless for a good cause.

Jan 8, 2017 4:48pm

In reply to James H:

Well, I probably won't now. But only one box set had been sold when I wrote the news story...

James H
Jan 8, 2017 7:53pm

In reply to John Doran:

I agree that it’s a great cause – I never did dispute that. I bought the ‘Behind The Lids’ CD (only after seeing it mentioned on tQ btw so cheers) and was happy to do so for the cause (but also mainly because I think GNOD are brilliant so will buy anything they release). I just don’t know that this is the best way for them to raise cash though is it? Why don’t they put on a free gig at The Mill but ask for donations on the door? That’d be 150-200 punters I would have thought, who’ll each give a tenner easy. So there’s £1.5K less overheads, which I’m guessing will be pretty low as they live there. Isn’t that a bit more....progressive?
I earn about the same as you btw so yeah, I could “afford” this if I really, really wanted it and cut back on other records etc. Cost isn’t the only factor (although the cost of a European festival ticket as comparison sounds a bit hefty to me nonetheless). I just feel a bit funny about having something that no-one else has. That’s not my thing. “Man of the People” and that. I have a similar thing with some of the limited run tapes I buy but generally they’re cheap and made by bedroom dudes with no other option so it’s a bit different. But this seems like....deliberate elitism or summat.
Come on GNOD – stop being avant garde elitist poseurs and get your gear on Gumtree with Nectar points etc.

Jan 9, 2017 11:48am

But it clearly is a good way for them to raise cash for a good cause - as all of the boxes sold out. I'd offer to do a Martin Shkreli but that wouldn't be fair on the band or the other nine people who've bought the box. And... come on... GNOD play plenty of fundraisers so stop being a whopper. They live in a freezing cold broken old building and they're trying to raise money to fix the roof... This doesn't really fit comfortably with them being labelled "elitist avant garde poseurs" in any sane rubric. Come round my house, I'll play it for you.

Jan 12, 2017 8:33am

In reply to James H:

Got to agree with James here unfortunately. Keeping things limited is fine but I was pretty astounded when told how much the first two box sets had sold for - totally out of the reaches of most people and really had the feel of elitism about it. I get htat some people have and what should #
w3e7890-=-12rtasdfo;#'+