LISTEN: Cold Cave Cover New Order
Luke Turner , January 25th, 2016 13:44

Wes Eisold covers NO classic at tQ's behest

Last week I was sat idly on the internet going through the excellent New Order Singularity website , enjoying Chromatics' cover of 'Ceremony' and reading Wes Eisold of Cold Cave speaking about his love of the Manchester group. I tweeted at Eisold asking if Cold Cave had ever covered New Order, he said they'd work on it and hey presto - you can listen to the band's version of 'Your Silent Face', above. Writing about New Order on the Singularity site, Eisold said that the band "is a gift that somehow makes you feel alone and not alone at the same time. That’s how I’ve carried them with me through my teens, twenties, thirties and however long I may grow. I’ve never known of another group that I’ve connected with so explicitly through the severe facets of life’s ups and downs. Sincerity is a trait you can’t fake." Read the rest of his words at the singularity site.

Jan 25, 2016 3:52pm

Love it

Jan 25, 2016 5:12pm

Cold Cave cover New Order (sort of) cover Kraftwerk. ;-)

Not bad; always heard a little bit of NO in CC, so it's nice to see the influence acknowledged in such a sincere and personal way.

General question for tQ editors: why have comment boxes vanished on reviews starting this year? Is there any rhyme or reason as to why we can still comment on this, but not those (though pre-2016 reviews still have comboxes?) Is it up to the post author as to whether comments will be open on it?

Post-Punk Monk
Jan 25, 2016 5:42pm

Not a shock as I felt that the second Cold Cave album was the best thing New Order never quite got around to doing; the album I was waitng for following "Power, Corruption + Lies."

Jan 25, 2016 6:35pm

Yes, I hear a little of Cold Cave's "Love Comes Close" in this. Reignited/bridged my interest in New Order.

Jan 25, 2016 6:41pm

haha, do i hear a baby in the background?

Jan 25, 2016 7:36pm

That has to be Wesley and Amy's new son!!

Jan 25, 2016 7:38pm

I Love Cold Cave, I Love New Order. This is perfect.

Thomas D.
Jan 25, 2016 10:33pm

Good, not amazing, but defo a "keeper". :)

Jan 26, 2016 3:01am

They've missed the bounce that Morris gives it, in fact it's crap.

Jan 26, 2016 12:29pm

And like the original, this brings me happy tears.

Who and Why not
Jan 26, 2016 1:31pm

It's fine. But New Order already did this song and this is just another stab in the same genre. I would rather hear a Led Zeppelin or Bob Marley cover from Cold Cave, otherwise it's just massaging the same muscles. Boring.

Jan 26, 2016 8:21pm

In reply to Who and Why not:

This is a great rendition. I like that its true to the original.

Feb 1, 2016 2:54am

Really quite enjoying the subtle differences

Jun 9, 2016 6:28pm

I like it so much. Thanks