News

LISTEN: Cold Cave Cover New Order
Luke Turner , January 25th, 2016 13:44

Wes Eisold covers NO classic at tQ's behest

Last week I was sat idly on the internet going through the excellent New Order Singularity website , enjoying Chromatics' cover of 'Ceremony' and reading Wes Eisold of Cold Cave speaking about his love of the Manchester group. I tweeted at Eisold asking if Cold Cave had ever covered New Order, he said they'd work on it and hey presto - you can listen to the band's version of 'Your Silent Face', above. Writing about New Order on the Singularity site, Eisold said that the band "is a gift that somehow makes you feel alone and not alone at the same time. That’s how I’ve carried them with me through my teens, twenties, thirties and however long I may grow. I’ve never known of another group that I’ve connected with so explicitly through the severe facets of life’s ups and downs. Sincerity is a trait you can’t fake." Read the rest of his words at the singularity site.

Jan 25, 2016 3:52pm

Love it

Glyph
Jan 25, 2016 5:12pm

Cold Cave cover New Order (sort of) cover Kraftwerk. ;-)

Not bad; always heard a little bit of NO in CC, so it's nice to see the influence acknowledged in such a sincere and personal way.

General question for tQ editors: why have comment boxes vanished on reviews starting this year? Is there any rhyme or reason as to why we can still comment on this, but not those (though pre-2016 reviews still have comboxes?) Is it up to the post author as to whether comments will be open on it?

Post-Punk Monk
Jan 25, 2016 5:42pm

Not a shock as I felt that the second Cold Cave album was the best thing New Order never quite got around to doing; the album I was waitng for following "Power, Corruption + Lies."

Jan 25, 2016 6:35pm

Yes, I hear a little of Cold Cave's "Love Comes Close" in this. Reignited/bridged my interest in New Order.

Jan 25, 2016 6:41pm

haha, do i hear a baby in the background?

TakingTigerMountain
Jan 25, 2016 7:36pm

That has to be Wesley and Amy's new son!!

Monstrous
Jan 25, 2016 7:38pm

I Love Cold Cave, I Love New Order. This is perfect.

Thomas D.
Jan 25, 2016 10:33pm

Good, not amazing, but defo a "keeper". :)

Jan 26, 2016 3:01am

They've missed the bounce that Morris gives it, in fact it's crap.

Jose
Jan 26, 2016 12:29pm

And like the original, this brings me happy tears.

Who and Why not
Jan 26, 2016 1:31pm

It's fine. But New Order already did this song and this is just another stab in the same genre. I would rather hear a Led Zeppelin or Bob Marley cover from Cold Cave, otherwise it's just massaging the same muscles. Boring.

bukowskisgrave
Jan 26, 2016 8:21pm

In reply to Who and Why not:

This is a great rendition. I like that its true to the original.

Feb 1, 2016 2:54am

Really quite enjoying the subtle differences

Cara
Jun 9, 2016 6:28pm

I like it so much. Thanks

Irwin
Mar 20, 2017 8:53am

What are the odds?

professional cv help
Jun 23, 2017 6:10pm

You have said the right thing and the words been discussed here are meant to make every thing better. It's like a kind of encouragement to all single people.

Merito drug and alcohol rehab
Aug 10, 2017 11:31am

I totally agree with you. I have listened to the Your Silent Face', by cold cave and it is just amazing to hear. They always come up with great songs like this which brings so many emotions to the listeners. I am a great fan of their music.