Baker's Dozen

Nicely Proposed, Coxy! Bradford Cox Of Deerhunter's Favourite LPs
Tristan Bath , October 15th, 2015 08:33

After we asked the Deerhunter and Atlas Sound man to pick his top LPs, Tristan Bath rang him in Atlanta and, over the course of a two-hour dog walk, had Bradford Cox talk through 13 albums of "accidents and starkness"

Photograph courtesy of Ryan Stang

"This is like the most difficult interview I've ever had. I actually have a lot to say about these!" Bradford Cox, the driving force behind Deerhunter and Atlas Sound is known for his prickly relationship with music journalists, but focusing on some of his favourite albums seems to have been somewhat different - and revealing. He's out walking his dog Faulkner when I call him up, wandering parks in his home city of Atlanta, Georgia. The first thing that's abundantly clear from his list is Cox's affinity with the American South. "There was more of a regionalism when I was growing up," he explains, "the way things are now though, I think that regionalism is a lot more muted - we're all from the same planet now, you know? I was very proud of bands from my hometown, Athens." We go in deep about the influence of Southern Gothic, with the literary leanings of bands like Pylon and R.E.M. clearly looming large over Cox's musical upbringing. However, as a keen follower of Cox's exploits, the revelation of non-ambient Eno's influence on him seems instantly blindingly obvious - from the stream-of-consciousness lyrics of Atlas Sound, to the patchwork sonics of Deerhunter's latest and intensely melodic LP, Fading Frontier, even to Cox's proclivity for wearing the odd frock at gigs.

"I had a top ten list that I'd written somewhere around 21 years of age. I've always kept it… so a lot of the albums on this list are from that list." But for the record, Cox makes it abundantly clear how "this list is bullshit" (which to me more likely meant this list is "not definitive"), and that he's still learning, still discovering albums every day, mostly digging back into the past. "There's still five or six Robert Wyatt albums I've not heard, and probably at least two or three songs on those that will completely obliterate my mind for weeks at a time."

The lead single for Fading Frontier - 'Snakeskin' - is one of Deerhunter's most slickly realised marriages of flawless groove and psychedelic indie pop (with a strangely dark coda finale which really has to be heard). Deeper listens to the full album, though, reveal the group's most concisely beautiful effort yet. It's driven by the broadest range of influences to date and, it would seem, reflects Cox's own colourful record collection more closely than before - far from the divisively headstrong vision of angered lo-fi pop/rock captured on Monomania and their debut Turn It Up Faggot. He remains an intriguing, enigmatic and difficult to understand character (to say the least - some of the diversions he went on during our chat were madly convoluted, and truly wonderful), but his adoration of music's ability to provide us with transcendent experiences is pure, and remains unaltered by the success of both Atlas Sound and Deerhunter. Hence we talked for two solid hours, with Faulkner occasionally requiring some attention from his owner on, what I imagine, what was yet another warm, close and sunny day in Georgia.

Fading Frontier is out on Friday, October 16, on 4AD. Deerhunter begin a West Coast US tour at The Glass House in Pomona, CA, tonight, heading to the UK for a run of dates beginning at All Saints Church in Hove on October 30; for full details and tickets, head here. Click on the image below to begin scrolling through Bradford's choices, which run in no particular order

Ryan_stang_1444836517_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

emburyheck
Oct 15, 2015 12:23pm

Re. Here Come The Warm Jets, Bradford mentions a book "that goes off on a strange analysis of this album in the middle of the narrative" - anyone know what the book is? Google is not forthcoming.

Tristan Bath
Oct 15, 2015 1:12pm

In reply to emburyheck:

No such luck. Bradford couldn't remember at the time, and I've not been able to pinpoint it since despite hours of trying to work out what the book is.

edwin
Oct 15, 2015 1:37pm

In reply to Tristan Bath:

sweeet
list! been a big fan of bradford's music since a bud brought me to a deerhunter show in some basement in auburn back in college.

Jbsjbs
Oct 15, 2015 5:31pm

Good article, but a fantastic title...

Jeff
Oct 15, 2015 6:11pm

I have to say, Bradford really inspired me to record my own music at home... along with Brian Eno. It's nice to see that we share his influence. :D

itamar
Oct 15, 2015 10:47pm

More than the albums themselves [Great as some of'em are] it's really a thrill to read bradford's thoughts on them.

thumbprintn
Oct 16, 2015 3:17am

heartful and articulate...what a satisfying piece of reading

Oct 16, 2015 9:27am

In reply to Jbsjbs:

Yep, that's what made me click on it, and then nip over to youtube for some Cox and Evans action

Liam
Oct 16, 2015 4:56pm

This explains why Snakeskin sounds exactly like Blank Frank (in a good way)

James
Oct 22, 2015 9:00am

Made this into a Spotify playlist if anyone has 13 hours, 26 minutes to spare. Had to skimp on the Bo Diddley, but 19 tracks should be enough.

klacker
Feb 8, 2016 11:26pm

i'm sorry but that fall story sounds like bullshit to me, just be honest

Why bother?
Mar 16, 2016 11:53pm

In reply to klacker:

Why on earth would he make up a story about spilling cola on some CDs? It's a good story anyway, even if it's fiction it's a damn sight more interesting than sitting at your PC keyboard judging what's true on the Internet and what's false, with no facts to back you up!!

Brad Coxford
Aug 23, 2016 2:40pm

In reply to Why bother?:

I know, ridiculous isn't it?

Reminds me of how I first came across the article on the Quietus. Most of my friends share links to the Quietus on Facebook or Twitter, and while I have used those platforms, that's not where I heard about the Quietus. I was actually visiting my uncle who lived in a cave on the south coast of England, near Portsmouth. We used to imitate the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks, howling our lungs out against a backdrop of natural erosion and Findus Crispy Pancakes. One day a passing Turk stopped to calibrate his Bluetooth, and as he craned is neck, striving for better signal, was hit by a stray fragment of the asteroid from the Ben Affleck film 'Armageddon'. His dying wish – we're lifelong friends now, the Turk and I – was that I visit this webpage and read all the way to the bottom.

Jarber
Sep 2, 2016 1:11pm

In reply to Brad Coxford:

I'm gonna pretend this was by the real Bradford Cox, because that was brilliant.

If anyone remembers the 'Here Come The Warm Jets' book that Brad mentions, please post.