Baker's Dozen

Sense Of Absurdity: Jonathan Higgs Of Everything Everything's Favourite Albums
Christopher Sanders , September 2nd, 2015 14:48

The Manchester indie band's frontman gives Christopher Sanders a tour of the formative records of his teenage years, and explains why they, along with Australia's longest-running soap opera, have made a lasting impression

Photograph courtesy of Mike Massaro

Everything Everything's new record Get To Heaven is, in the words of Jonathan Higgs himself, a "horror bible", reflecting some of the most disturbing events to have occurred in recent years, from bombings and beheadings to the rise of Nigel Farage.

However, despite this response to bleak times, Higgs himself holds anything but a negative outlook on life and music appreciation. Reflecting on the choices he's made in his Baker's Dozen, he says: "There's a kind of golden age in someone's life, I think from around 14 to 17/18, when that stuff kind of goes in deep, and kind of makes you what you are. So nearly all these are from that period of my life."

As befits the diverse sonics of his band, Higgs' choices are multifarious. While there's plenty of rock - Nirvana, Radiohead and Deftones all make an appearance - this nestles alongside electronica, 00s R&B, big beat and some prime 60s silliness, a sense of variety that Higgs actively seeks out. "The music I have in this Baker's Dozen is influential," he explains, "because the albums are all about breaking rules, or don't fit into camps, and that's where my band has always been."

Get To Heaven is out now on Sony RCA. Everything Everything play Festival No 6 this Saturday, September 5, before touring, beginning a run of UK dates at Mandela Hall in Belfast on November 5; head to their website for full details. Click on his image below to begin scrolling through Jonathan's choices, which run in no particular order

Mike_massaro_-_everything_everything__5_of_7__1441205702_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

Sep 2, 2015 5:06pm

Like lots of people my age, Radiohead were a big band before Kid A.

Bo Selecta
Sep 2, 2015 5:23pm

CRAAAIIIIGGGG DAVID!!

No Refugee
Sep 2, 2015 7:21pm

It is called The Radioheads

Sep 3, 2015 10:45am

I enjoyed this earnest baker's dozen. Not all of us had discovered Eno and the VU as teenagers (me included).

Drew
Sep 3, 2015 11:36am

"And the Sgt. Pepper's world is so easy to visualise, you can literally hear the crowd and the characters and the colours, the carnival air. It's all just magical. I've always enjoyed the fact that my band doesn't sound the same from song to song, and I think we get that from The Beatles. The Beatles were every type of band for ten years, and then they were nothing, which is probably why they are the most famous band in the world."

I love that whole quote. It really encapsulates how I feel about Sgt. Pepper and the Beatles in one brief comment.

Anyhony Gin
Sep 8, 2015 5:29am

In reply to Drew:

Really enjoyed this Baker's Dozen. Very few of the records would appear in a Baker's Dozen of my own, but that's not the point. It's honest, does not rely on those bog-standard building blocks of Critical Rock lists (erm, except for Sgt. Pepper's - but he even charmingly relates that to his own experience) and displays enthusiasm for music and, just as importantly, the discovery of new music, in every line. If you can hold onto that passion - as I have - into your 30s & 40s (and, I hope, beyond) your world will always have an extra richness! Thank you Jonathan & The Quietus!

Sep 10, 2015 2:56pm

I just want to use this space to somewhat gratuitously express my distaste for Everything Everything. Their new single is a turn the radio off moment for me, it sounds like men without hats or men at work or someone equally silly. It's sexless and sixth form, their lyrics should have never been allowed off the page and I am baffled by their apparent popularity. No accounting for taste I guess. Quite charming Bakers Dozen though'