Baker's Dozen

"Music In Which To Get Truly Lost": Daniel Avery's Favourite Records
The Quietus , August 5th, 2015 11:55

The Phantasy producer and DJ goes from mid-teen discoveries to recent acquisitions as he writes us his own Baker's Dozen of top albums, EPs and mixes ahead of his b2b set with Erol Alkan at fabric later this month

Photograph courtesy of Steve Gullick

I've been here for over an hour trying to write this introduction. Picking 13 records was an interesting task but explaining why I've chosen this particular set has become all-consuming. My favourite thing about music is that tastes can be so easily affected and informed by outside forces. Hearing a certain track in a club or being handed something by a friend can literally alter the course of your life and your view of the world. Therefore this list, rather than a potted life story, instead attempts to explain where my head is currently at as I sit here in 2015 London.

Daniel Avery plays b2b Erol Alkan at fabric on August 15, joined by Voiski and Volte-Face in room one and DBridge, Calibre, Marcus Intalex, DRS and SP:MC in room two; for full details and tickets, head to fabric's site here. Click on his image below to begin scrolling through Daniel's choices, which run in no particular order

Avery_gullick_2014_1_1438708383_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

T
Aug 5, 2015 1:39pm

"If you don't like New Order then we can't be friends" should be on a shirt.

ad hominem
Aug 5, 2015 2:10pm

wow Scout Niblett!

Ricardo
Aug 5, 2015 3:43pm

I have absolutely no idea who this guy is and understanding that he was some sort of DJ, well, I just figured his tastes would just not be all that great. But yes, the first New Order album is a touchstone of all that is sad and wonderful-it is a completely underrated masterpiece, Scout Niblett is just out there (and in a good way), William Basinski has his niche which is just fine and Harmonia is lovely, of course, so all is well with this guy in general.

deadly_doris
Aug 5, 2015 9:14pm

it's always great to see influences without the usual suspects of zeppelin, bowie, the stones and commenters getting their panties in a bunch because the beatles are not on the list. mbv caught my attention and read on, great list!

ROOKSBY.
Aug 5, 2015 10:47pm

Fact: Movement is better than Power, Corruption & Lies.

oysterboy
Aug 6, 2015 1:57am

moon duo...yeah....slow down low

Aug 6, 2015 10:27am

I like this list because it validates my own tastes - Quietus Reader

john
Aug 6, 2015 1:09pm

This is the first bakers dozen I've enjoyed in a long time. Though being a NO fan I found the inclusion of Movement over their other works curious, as I find most of the songs unmemorable.