Baker's Dozen

At His Modjesty's Request: Paul Weller's Favourite Albums
Mat Colegate , May 7th, 2015 08:54

Paul Weller is releasing a new album, Saturns Pattern, so we sent tQ film editor Mat Colegate off to meet his mod hero and bask in the glory of his sartorial prowess. Ah, yes, and find out about his top 13 albums as well

Photograph courtesy of Julian Broad

So, first things first, what's he wearing? Well, needless to say, when I shake his hand in the plush interview room of Warner's Kensington offices, Paul Weller is dressed immaculately: a green shirt and a black zip-up jacket complemented by nicely tailored tweed strides and a superbly sharp pair of basket weave shoes, all presided over by that immaculate hawk-like white barnet. The only slight bum note are the tortoise shell shades he's chosen to don for our interview. Could it be that Paul Weller, my mod hero since I was 15 years old, is the sort of person who wears sunglasses indoors?

The occasion of this latest Baker's Dozen is the release of Weller's new album Saturns Pattern, which continues his recent run of records marked by stylistic hop-scotching, fizzy psychedelia and and an endearingly daffy sense of anything-goes sonic experimentation. It doesn't sound like the work of the musty Lancelot that many still presume him to be. Rather it's kaleidoscopic and fresh sounding, marked by clattering Fabs piano, riffing that could quite legitimately be described as 'raunchy' and sudden outbursts of wibbly electronic noise.

For his Baker's Dozen of favourite records Weller has assembled some surprises, and some... well, not-so-surprises (you didn't expect him to pass on picking a Beatles record did you?), but it's a list united by the assembled records' heart, wit and warmth. A combination that the gentleman himself demonstrates as well (along with a gleefully sweary streak). "I found it difficult," he says, when asked about his selection process. "Most of my records are singles, so it would have been easier for me to pick 13 of them. But obviously if I chose my favourites again today or tomorrow it would be different every time."

"Oh and by the way, I'm not trying to be Mister Cool by wearing sunglasses or anything. I've just got a sty on my eye..." My faith in His Modjesty restored, we turn our attention to his selections.

Saturns Pattern is out on May 18 on Parlophone. Click on his image below to begin scrolling through Paul's choices

Julian_broad_1430935453_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

Jeff
May 7, 2015 12:29pm

A lot of obvious stuff, and a few surprises. Thank you, Mr.Weller!

steve57
May 7, 2015 1:00pm

"I like electricity and volume. I like the quiet acoustic thing for a bit, but not for too long. I like noise, me."
Pop that on me gravestone yeah?

Cal
May 7, 2015 1:42pm

Another imitation socialist, goes ón about foodbanks yet sends his kids to private school because he doesn't wsnt them talking like Ali-G!

Yarin Mackey
May 7, 2015 2:14pm

Got loads of Jam records, me. Always an energised and abrasive guitar sound, often with a melancholy edge.
Mr Weller looks very lean and healthy.

Liv
May 7, 2015 2:16pm

Doesn't he ever listen to the really heavy stuff ? I'm curious.

Exploding Knees Syndrome
May 7, 2015 7:29pm

In reply to Yarin Mackey:

"Saturday's Kids" will always be a great wake-up song for me.

Dan
May 7, 2015 9:05pm

As a long time fan of both, I'm very stoked to discover that Weller is a SFA fan. Don't know why but it was a genuinely pleasant surprise to discover that he was even aware of them. Some other nice surprises in here too and some things that are unknown to me that I will be checking out. That's what I like about Weller. He's great in his own right but also valuable to me as a gateway musician. I've got into so much good stuff purely because he's unafraid to wear his influences on his sleeve.

May 8, 2015 8:15am

Fucking twat.

mitchell cobb
May 8, 2015 9:31am

regardless of what you think of mr weller, you have to admit that is a fucking appalling title for an article. ridiculous. sort it out lads.

auteur55
May 8, 2015 2:49pm

"Yeah, and you can fucking hear it in their music because they get stuck in a rut. I can hear the people who aren't like that"

I love this. Always drives me crazy when musicians go on and on about how they ignore and are clueless about new music. I just see such a parallel between passion in making music and in listening and discovering.

Bettarn
May 8, 2015 9:21pm

Dismisses the Human League and praises Noel Gallagher. Spoils anything else he says really.

matt
May 9, 2015 3:23pm

Was vaguely interested in his selections but can't be bothered with the highly time consuming and annoying one web page per selection. At least FACT allows quick navigation with arrow keys.

Pratel Mingkins
May 11, 2015 12:27am

In reply to Exploding Knees Syndrome:

Saturday's kids is just unique.

Eddie
May 11, 2015 7:13pm

He liked Bolan "up until" Electric Warrior. He must have started young as he would of been about 11 or 12 when it came out.
I smell bullshit!

Ben Manning
May 11, 2015 10:38pm

love weller but its a shame how he despises his contemporaries. i love omd and the league.

May 13, 2015 8:00pm

In reply to Cal:

Stupid thing to write and I think you know it.

May 13, 2015 8:06pm

In reply to Ben Manning:

He probably met Andy McCluskey at a T V show circa 1980. That would do it, the OMD guy is, let's face it a twat.

Dora
Jul 31, 2015 3:44am

Thank you, Mr.Weller!

MAURO
Aug 5, 2015 2:27am

no small faces records...