News

WATCH: Mark E Smith British Masters 1 + 2
Laurie Tuffrey , December 19th, 2013 10:20

In a Christmas special of his Noisey series, the Quietus' John Doran talks to the The Fall's frontman

Because it's Yuletide and they're generous like that, Noisey have just posted a Christmas special of tQ editor John Doran's excellent British Masters video interview series, concluding it with a multi-part episode with none other than The Fall's Mark E Smith. Part one covers, among other things, the band recording music for The Twilight films - "vampires... it is a crime at the end of the day" - Smith's offer to write the soundtrack for John's biopic, why Bill Oddie apparently needs two security guards when he visits MediaCityUK and why cooking programmes should be restricted to after the watershed. Part two, meanwhile, has Smith talking about his work on The Wildhearts founder Ginger's Mutation project, The Fall's current line-up, its most stable so far - "I don't like musicians", explains Smith - meeting Nico while she lived at John Cooper Clarke's flat and why he's not a famous face in Prestwich. Watch both films below:

Mr. Odd
Dec 18, 2013 6:12pm

Looking good, John, you clean up nicely.

How much of what he said did you even understand? This American caught maybe 50%.

I will always love MES like a drunken uncle. "Mister Rode" off the new EP is another Fall classic.

Jon
Dec 18, 2013 6:45pm

Masterpiece of an interview. Just beautiful.

JK
Dec 19, 2013 11:59am

"nobody lives where i live - still!"

Tooth Ache
Dec 19, 2013 1:24pm

Absolutely stunning. Fantastic interview.

Can we have many, many more of these interviews please?

ChilesLudo
Dec 19, 2013 4:18pm

Did you get your vinyl back??

Dec 19, 2013 5:02pm

In reply to ChilesLudo:

Yeah! He was only winding me up. I think it's easy to presume he doesn't know what he's doing because of his pronounced slur (I mean for starters he wasn't drunk when he did this) but really I think it's more of a tactic to get out of answering serious questions about The Fall. Once you accept that he's going to be much better about talking about other people's bands, football and TV and stuff like that you get more entertaining stuff from him.

Blixa Bargeld
Dec 19, 2013 7:10pm

Fantastick interview. I enjoyed watching Mr. Doran wince every time he said something that wasn't PC.

Blixa Bargeld
Dec 19, 2013 7:12pm

In reply to Blixa Bargeld:

every time MES said something that wasn't PC.

De Selby
Dec 20, 2013 6:28pm

God knows I love the Fall but most of that could have been any pissed old fella propping up the bar.

Cunty
Dec 21, 2013 4:58am

In reply to John Doran:

Were you surprised he smells fresh? When I fleetingly met him, that was my lasting impression.

On a sidenote, has the mutation/mes track been released?