Features

Our First eBook Launches - Point Close All Quotes: A Quietus Anthology
Luke Turner , August 30th, 2013 10:30

We've only gone and collected a bunch of the best articles from the Quietus over the last five years in an eBook, and got Krent Able to illustrate it. Aieee! Full details below

UK, Europe etc readers purchase here

American readers purchase here.

It's now five years (give or take a few days - our memories are hazy) since the somewhat dispiriting morning that the Quietus discovered, just a few weeks after we launched the website, that our funding was being removed, and that we'd have to continue alone. Since then... well, as m'colleague John Doran has forsaken grape, grain and Eccles Cake, his girth has plummeted as mine has risen, and it's been a pretty mind-and-hand-breaking uphill slog, from the point when we allowed ourself a doubled bagged Yorkshire Tea if we got more than 500 visitors a day to now, when we're notching up around 350,000 unique users and about 1.5 million page impressions every month.

In the years since September 2008, we've printed 13,186 articles on The Quietus in a huge, sprawling archive of what we think is some of the best writing on music and culture that you'll find on the internet. Unfortunately, The Quietus was never actually finished - what you're reading now is essentially still a Beta version, much like the HMS Prince Of Wales sailing out to fight the Bismarck with its artillery untested, and civilian technicians still on board. This means that it's monstrously difficult to navigate your way through the archive to find some of the best work... which is where Mr Charles Ubaghs comes in.

Charles was a friend of the Quietus from our earliest days, when he would arrive at the pub in excellent brogues and speak learnedly in a crazy accent that hovered somewhere in the Atlantic between the midwest and Belgium. He's a smart man when it comes to tech (his day job is running social media for the Capital Radio Group), and after much working on the rather Luddite minds of John and myself, convinced us that we ought to publish a Quietus eBook.

And lo! Captain, she rises! Point Close All Quotes: A Quietus Anthology.. This is by no means an exhaustive list, or intended to be our view of the cream of the cream - there'll hopefully be more eBooks in this series. Instead it's an attempt to curate some articles that we felt represented the unusual and divergent interests of the Quietus in music, writing styles and so on.

So we're honoured to be able to include two articles by the late Steven Wells, who was and remains an inspiration to how we try to run our ship. Then we've an exclusive new feature by Tim Burgess, wherein he ponders trying to write the follow-up to his autobiography, Telling Stories. Also in the eBook are Jude Rogers on Rihanna's dubious LP marketing, Aidan Moffat's open letter to Girls Aloud, Taylor Parkes on Chris Needham, Joel McIver interviewing Sir Patrick Moore on space rock, Carol Clerk getting banned from Israel with Hanoi Rocks, metal vicar the Rev Rachel Mann on why Jesus would have been a Pussy Riot fan, and more. You can find the full list of articles below.

There are also two specially written pieces by John Doran and myself. St Helens' wayward Viking son has a Baker's Dozen of Baker's Dozens, including the 12 things I always tell him off for calling people on Twitter. Anyone who was annoyed by the story about John Lennon being cloned via tooth DNA might be an ally in my Black Sky Thinking on the Baby Boomers, and their myth of a musical golden age. And as well as words, we're chuffed that Krent Able agreed to illustrate some of the articles in the book. If you've ever wanted to see an artistic representation of Kraftwerk as country and western musicians, or Kanye West's little Kanye - well, Krent has made your dream come true.

On a more prosaic note, the Quietus is currently funded entirely through the display ads you can see on the site. As ad revenues decline, we're looking to find new revenue streams that will mean we can fulfill our stated aim to pay for every work that appears on the site - this new series of eBooks will be part of that.

Finally, some words of appreciation: A huge cheers to Eloise Corke, who designed the book, and to Rory Lewarne, who did an exceedingly diligent job on editing out all the mistakes that we tend to get too excited to spot when we're putting articles on the site. Most of all I'd like to thank Charles Ubaghs for the incredible amount of work, vision and pan-global calm that he's put into this project - it's about the most well-executed thing we've ever done. Quietus readers - we hope you enjoy it, and thanks for five years of the devoted attention of your eyeballs, bandwidth and minds. Now, open your digital wallets...

UK, Europe etc readers purchase here

American readers purchase here.

Not a Kindle owner? Never fear. You can buy and read the book via the Kindle app for the iPad, iPhone and all Android devices.

Point Close All Quotes: A Quietus Anthology.

An Introduction

– by John Doran

Black Sky Thinking: Death To Corduroy
– by Steven Wells

Golden Balls: How The Baby Boomers Stole Music
– by Luke Turner

A Sorry State: Pop Marketing And Rihanna’s Unapologetic
– by Jude Rogers

Why Jesus Would Have Been A Pussy Riot Fan
– by Reverend Rachel Mann

One For The Road: Getting Banned From Israel With Hanoi Rocks
– by Carol Clerk

All You Old Bastards Should Learn Something From This - The Cult of Chris Needham
– by Taylor Parkes

aaron.
Aug 23, 2013 11:55am

Fantastic!

daniel
Aug 23, 2013 4:18pm

Well, that's exciting.

I can't access amazon from work (and I'm impatient), so a question: is this an epub book that I could read on a Kobo? (I think Kobo does mobi as well...)

Luke Turner
Aug 23, 2013 4:25pm

In reply to daniel:

Daniel, Charles, the book editor here. It's not available on Kobo yet but we'll be rolling out more versions of the book soon.

Charles Ubaghs
Aug 23, 2013 4:27pm

In reply to Luke Turner:

sorry, just realised I was logged in as Luke while responding to you Daniel. Don't tell him.

daniel
Aug 23, 2013 5:03pm

In reply to Charles Ubaghs :

Good to hear; it'll be great to have a portable (and disconnected) Quietus.

(And I won't breathe a word of this to Mr. Turner.)

Mizz Badazz
Aug 23, 2013 9:30pm

Woo-hoo! Guess what I'll be reading tongight. :)

Wooboo
Aug 24, 2013 1:17am

But does it have all the comments printed as well?

RJC
Aug 24, 2013 2:32am

Sorry to be a lameass luddite, but will this book ever be available in a, er 'physical format'? A 'book' as we used to call them.

I know costs, distribution etczzz

Aug 24, 2013 3:47am

So, I'm drinking some poison and my tongue(/typing fingers) has(/have) been loosed: any guess on when non-Kindle books will be available?

Allan Struthers
Aug 24, 2013 1:06pm

If this was in print I would very happily snap it up from a local book dealership, but I just can't bear to read from a screen for extended periods of time.
Can you print me a copy specially and have John personally deliver it to my house?
It's my birthday coming up soon.
Just so you know.

Nicholas Turnbull
Aug 24, 2013 4:41pm

Well done, sir, on staying independent throughout the five years that the Quietus has been running now, and working to secure that through such a genuinely artistic work. This 'zine, I am sure, would march to an entirely different drummer if its independence fell. A lesser impresario (or impresaria) could have, say, sold out to Conde Nast for the infinite privilege of operating out of Anna Wintour's shoe cupboard for evermore until demise.

Aug 26, 2013 8:29am

Thanks for that! Much nicer than add banners too, I'll purchase this and pop it onto the top of my reading list asap :)

Julian G Harding
Sep 20, 2013 10:45am

I think you should set up a crowdfunding for a physical version. That way, interest translates directly into capital. If there isn't sufficient interest, you don't take the risk.

Paul
Sep 23, 2013 4:48am

Yes, a crowd funded physical book would be ace. In lieu of that, an independent publisher other than Amazon would be good.

Sarah Roberts
Sep 27, 2013 2:48pm

Not one article but two from Steven Wells – I shall definitely be downloading this book. I was lucky enough to work with ‘Swells’ briefly on a guide to the music industry (he was a brilliant writer) and unfortunate enough to have him as a panelist for a PR & Journalism discussion I vainly attempted to chair (he was like an unruly child and had almost had a fight with one of his fellow panelists beforehand) where he gave the most provocative and hilarious advice to a bunch of impressionable students! I hope he inspired some of them to be writers (not fighters!)

tuomas
Oct 3, 2013 2:32pm

is there anyway i can buy this from another source than amazon/kindle? it says it is not available to finland, dont know why...

Oct 3, 2013 7:38pm

In reply to tuomas:

Hi Tuomas (from ILX right?!) We should have news for you on this matter within a month or so, please check back then, or watch the site. We are working on it.

horseglue
Oct 8, 2013 3:55pm

Congratulations!
Not bad for a music blog right? . . ha ha
For staying true we in LA salute you .

Paul
Oct 25, 2013 8:16pm

I would gladly buy a print copy of this eBook. Are there any plans for publishing some, or is that not economically viable? Anyway, congratulations on such a high number of pageviews. But then again, you do have the best music journalism I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Keep up the good work!

Hazzard County Cricket Club
Nov 18, 2013 12:49am

any chance this will be be published as an actual physical book? I realise I am in the minority seeing as I don't own any sort of kindle/iPad/mobile phone/tablet/whatever but you can't beat an actual book.

JH
Nov 19, 2013 2:24pm

I'm enjoying this, even though I've read a lot of the articles before. It's a nice format in which to read with no distractions.

And it's nice to chuck you a couple of quid in exchange for what you give us.

JH
Nov 19, 2013 2:29pm

With regard to print. Lulu.com does a decent job of print-on-demand. I'm sure there are others like it. A mate of mine self-published a novel using them (since it's music related and I enjoyed it, I will link it: http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/sean-mcmanus/university-of-death/paperback/product-4330423.html ).

He can buy a box of print copies to distribute himself, and also let people worldwide order direct from Lulu. Worth considering. The only upfront cost is producing/proofreading the print-ready softcopy.

oliver
Dec 5, 2013 7:22pm

i'd love to see a print version. my eyes stair at a computer all day

Zzz
Jan 15, 2014 6:10am

Wake me when u get a print version. I'm tired of staring at a retina searing screen all day.