Baker's Dozen

Soul-Searching Frequencies: Eugene Hütz Of Gogol Bordello's Favourite LPs
Julian Marszalek , August 15th, 2013 06:58

Following the release of their new album Pura Vida Conspiracy, Gogol Bordello's frontman trawls his records collection to pick out his top 13

It’s always been pretty obvious that Gogol Bordello have been influenced by more than just Eastern European folk music. Indeed, to encounter Gogol Bordello in full flight is to be hit square between the eyes by a kaleidoscopic fusion of musical styles and influences that not only transcend decades but also several continents. But what also becomes evident while speaking with Eugene Hütz, the band’s leader and focal point, is just how much this music means to him. Having led an itinerant life style, Hütz’s choice of music has shaped his own talent whilst being with him every step of the way, from the Ukraine to his current residence in the United States of America.

But what has he picked? Read on and be prepared for the sheer breadth of choices…

Eugene_hutz_of_gogol_bordello_1376564153_resize_460x400

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

Bibble
Aug 15, 2013 12:06pm

How long before someone complains that he picked one of his own albums. Some good choices - nice to see Fugazi in here. Good description of them too.

Gareth
Aug 15, 2013 1:18pm

Good to see Goo on the list - my favourite Sonic Youth album by a country mile.

DANL
Aug 15, 2013 1:46pm

very surprising that his favorite records are so Americana

Chris
Aug 15, 2013 2:31pm

Massive F.A.I.L. to put your own record dude...

Spacious
Aug 15, 2013 6:42pm

I've met quite a few musicians that don't listen to their own recordings. I always ask them "what the hell's wrong with you?"

Usually, their excuse is that they burned out on listening to their songs over and over again in the studio. Idiots.

Taun Aengus
Aug 15, 2013 8:22pm

Hey! Thanks to all concerned for these, I love the explanations and the less is more philosophy. Passion rules! Now I understand Gogol Bordello much better. Now to go search out some and have a listen for myself. I think is a sight of good taste to have one of your own albums as one of your favorites, as it should be.

Catie
Aug 19, 2013 5:13pm

To the people criticizing him for putting one of Gogol Bordello's own records on this list - why? He's just proud of the work he's been doing with his band and for a musician to be that content with their music is a wonderful thing. Be happy for them! :)

migdal yael
Aug 20, 2013 8:02am

love you--- YaelMigdal let aviv

vik
Aug 21, 2013 3:25pm

Very disappointed not to see any Tom Waits records mentioned, as I know Zhenya likes them, many of them a lot. At least my 2nd fav Nick Cave is there :)