News

Scott Walker's First Five Solo LPs Reissued
Laurie Tuffrey , April 10th, 2013 13:19

Deluxe CD and vinyl box sets set for release in the summer

On June 3, Universal will be reissuing Scott Walker's first five solo albums as Scott Walker: The Collection 1967-1970.

The albums - Scott, Scott 2, Scott 3, Scott 4 and ‘Til The Band Comes In - have all been remastered from the original tapes, and will come in both CD and vinyl boxsets.

The CD box set comprises the albums with extensive sleeve notes, rare photos and a 16-page booklet by Rob Young, editor of No Regrets: Writings On Scott Walker in a hardback case.

The vinyl set, meanwhile, has the albums on 180 gram heavyweight vinyl, an 11" print from Scott 2, a 48-page booklet containing Young's essay and four interviews, taken from the archives by Rock's Back Pages: Chris Welch's 'Scott: I’m Going to Japan By Train' from Melody Maker in 1968, Keith Altham's 'Scott Walker: His Own Worst Enemy' from the NME in 1969, Keith Altham's 'Scott Walker Hides Away In a Gloom World' from NME in 1970 and Chris Welch's 'Scott Walker Comes In From The Cold' from Melody Maker in 1970.

Rob Young writes of the albums in the featured essay: “[Scott] saw him attempting to let go of the schmaltzy ‘big sound’ of The Walkers; it would turn out to be a curious, occasionally uncomfortable marriage of three distinct modes: the middle-of-the-road covers made popular by the likes of Tony Bennett, Tim Hardin, Frank Sinatra and Petula Clark; the very different-styled arrangements of Jacques Brel songs; and Walker’s own compositions. It’s the weird chemistry between these approaches that makes Scott – and all four solo albums that followed – such beautifully unsettling experiences.”

To read the Quietus editor John Doran's interview with Walker around the time of Bish Bosch's release, head here.

Post-Punk Monk
Apr 10, 2013 5:47pm

One hopes that the albums will be available separately. "'Til The Band Comes In" yet evades my grasp. Any chance for "Nite Flights?" C'mon Sony!

For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Carpathian
Apr 10, 2013 6:14pm

There's sods law. Recently finished grabbing all the gaps in my Walker back catalogue and now they do THIS! Ok, looks like a double and triple dip for some - no bad thing all said.

Simon E
Apr 10, 2013 7:22pm

Well.... my CDs of 1, 2 and 3 all claim to be 'remastered' anyway, so how will these be any different? If it encourages new listeners, great, but I don't see much here for established fans.
(note to Post-Punk Monk - I think many of the tracks from the LPs you mention are on the superb box set '5 Easy Pieces', if you can get hold of it).

Post-Punk Monk
Apr 11, 2013 12:35am

In reply to Simon E:

Simon E - Yes, 5 Easy Pieces would take care of much of the music I still don't have, but it costs three figures!! I bought the 1992 RMs of Scott 1 - 3 and the 2000 RM of Scott 4. I saw "Nite Flights" on CD once but thought "next time. " All my fault.

For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Apr 11, 2013 9:32am

In reply to Post-Punk Monk:

Fur further rumination, sit on my fucking fist, you boring twat.

Cynthia Mask
Apr 11, 2013 10:42am

What a surprise, another desperate major label pillaging their back catalogue to squeeze a few more quid out of the legacy, etc... Most of these albums have been repackaged &/or remastered twice (at least) in recent memory - I wonder what Scott's take on this situation is? Allegedly, he halted the previous CD issue of 'Til The Band Comes In being repressed because the record label had neglected to seek his permission first time 'round - I wonder how much control he's had over this fresh batch? I expect Universal have applied the tabloid journalism principle of: "We're going to put them out again whether you like it or not, so do you want some input or not?"

Jon
Apr 11, 2013 10:57am

In reply to Cynthia Mask:

Irrelevant for the CD issues and I can understand the cynicism, but the vinyl versions of these are solid gold. The Four Men With Beards (4MWB) reissues were sourced from DAT and the pressing quality was variable to say the least. The originals have hit ridiculous prices, so a quality vinyl reissue from the original tapes is cracking news.

Gramme
Apr 11, 2013 7:09pm

4MWB shouldn't be allowed to reissue ANYTHING in future - awful label!

I've picked up decent original copies of 3 & 4 for £30 & £40 respectively in the last year - I don't anticipate this latest batch of reissues being significantly cheaper. ;)

Daniel
Apr 12, 2013 9:09am

In reply to Post-Punk Monk:

Post-Punk Monk, a copyn of 5EP sold for $32 on ebay a few months ago. You might check there occasionally.