News

WATCH: New Depeche Mode Video
The Quietus , February 1st, 2013 05:56

Lead track from new album

Yesterday we brought you details of the new Depeche Mode single, 'Heaven', and now there's a video to go with it, which you can watch. Appropriately for the electronic gospel of the track, the video sees Depeche Mode hanging around in a church, some unusual wormhole opening up, and people in masks and bondagewear. Also, if anyone knows Dave Gahan's tailor can they give Luke a shout? Cheers. The track is taken from Depeche Mode's new album Delta Machine, out in March.

Carpathian
Feb 1, 2013 12:13pm

Where oh where to begin? An old church. some horribly cliché and derivative filler graphics from somebodey's stock video library of slightly alluring women, Fletch miming piano bashing, Martin looking intense while strumming.........and Dave Gurn, sorry, Gahan pulling every face from Mr Bean and Phil Cool's comedy careers. Jeez. What happened. Heard the single and hoped a decent video would lift it for me. Just the opposite.

Sean
Feb 1, 2013 2:13pm

It's just not very good, is it? Like many of the songs on Sounds of the Universe, it hangs around for four unmemorable minutes and never actually seems to achieve escape velocity. Sure, it *sounds* wonderful but that isn't enough to save it from verses that shunt into a lumpen chorus. Melodies and sing-to-the-heavens moments aren't bad things. When did they forget this?

The video is underwhelming and employs so many of the tired old Depeche Mode tropes I hoped had been discarded: churches, angels, references to a kind of nebulous spirituality - it's just dull.

Below Me
Feb 2, 2013 1:47am

Below me are the dumbest comments I have ever heard! Depeche Mode are the greatest band of all time. The idiots below me must be failed musicians or should I say music critics that are bitter losers.Probably write for NME or Rolling Stone or some other British publication because we all know how the UK treats their greatest export!? Like absolute sh*t, that is. Get over yourselves and give this band the respect they deserve at long last please!

My Mistake
Feb 2, 2013 1:56am

In reply to Below Me:

lol change the word below to above in the above comment. Oh and once again fu*k the cu*ts above me!

David
Feb 2, 2013 9:36am

In reply to My Mistake:

Sorry Below Me, old pal, they're both spot on, I'm afraid. I think you may be suffering from a bit of 'Love Is Blind'. The video and the song are both dull, cliched 'we're DM so this is what we do' nonsense. For a band with the history and talent they have that's annoying and depressing...

Carpathian
Feb 2, 2013 4:54pm

In reply to Below Me:

I'm not a writer or journalist - I'm a fan. It's exactly *because* I love and respect the band so much that I'm so disappointed with the first single & video. Many moments in my life are soundtracked by DM and they have indeed had some of the best singles for any British band, pretty much without caveat.

This, Below Me, simply isn't one of them. Truly caring about a band means being comfortable enough with your love for them to be able to take the rose-tinted specs off from time to time.