News

LISTEN: New Depeche Mode Single
Laurie Tuffrey , January 31st, 2013 05:54

Heaven streaming now via US radio

And yea, our second taste of the new Depeche Mode album - 'Heaven' (artwork above), the first single to be taken off Delta Machine, which is set for release on March 26 via Columbia, is now streaming via LA radio station KROQ - have a listen here.

As we posted last week, Martin Gore has said of the record: "Writing this album was incredibly daunting as I wanted the sound of this collection to be very modern. I want people to feel good about listening to this record, to get some kind of peace. It's just got something magical about it."

Watch this space tomorrow, when the band are set to premiere the video for 'Heaven'.

Carpathian
Jan 31, 2013 12:37pm

Heaven, for me, isn't. It feels like another band being asked to do a DM-Lite style track for late night radio. It's all very pleasant, with nothing inherently bad about it, but brings nothing to the table that they haven't done before and become far too comfortable with. Here's looking towards the album with crossed fingers and somewhat baited breath. I don't say all that with any pleasure, I should add.

andres
Jan 31, 2013 5:26pm

The song on the preview video they posted months ago is way better than this one. Strange choice as a single.

Apop
Jan 31, 2013 8:59pm

I'll echo andres' sentiments...strange choice as a single. I'd expect this to be the 7th or 8th song on the album (talking album order here). 'Wrong' was a great way to kick off the last album as a first single, this one give me pause. Hmmmmmm...

Matt
Jan 31, 2013 9:29pm

In reply to Carpathian:

I disagree. It's got a different blues feel than a lot of their other blues-infused songs. A happier blues feel. I'm loving it. Some of the guitar parts are killer. No other band could do this song. Not even the Depeche Mode of previous albums.

I agree with Apop though; it's a strange choice for a single, because they should have known people would hate on it. Or maybe that's what they wanted :)

Mark
Jan 31, 2013 11:03pm

Put a DONK on it !!

Carpathian
Feb 1, 2013 12:11am

In reply to Matt:

It honestly just makes me want to steal Martin's guitar or something. Feels like the lead firework in the display failing to fully go off. I'll happily (very happily) stand corrected if the album is a belter but it just makes me so nervous.......

Feb 1, 2013 5:45am

Odd song.
Not playing to any DM strengths at all
Very USA orientated.
B side is really good though!
Video is worse
I don't need to see Fletch pretend playing a piano in an abandoned church

Matthew
Feb 1, 2013 9:48am

It's shite and derivative. All that's there in this track is its sentiment but it's not Depeche Mode in any traditional sense, I'm canceling my preorders. I'm a massive fan of Depeche Mode but these cowboys have gone rogue. How can Dave Gahan take himself or this song seriously completely escapes me !?? Martin wrote it and I can relate to the writing but the production is horrendous and the drum-machine that gets shut off at the end bit makes a mockery of what Depeche Mode stand for. Long live Depeche Mode, Depeche Mode are dead !

Derek
Feb 1, 2013 9:52am

Why does Gahan make all of those ultra-horrible facial and hand gestures? What happened to this guy? it's like he's drinking his own tea and not even realizing what he's presenting to the world. This was the coolest guy on earth and how he 'look's' like he's completely lost it. What produced let this out of the gate, it needed to be sped up somewhat in the very least. Plodding cyclical narrative. Ack!

m8
Feb 1, 2013 9:54am

In reply to Matt:

It's a spiritual anthem for pansies without any teeth. Light and lighter-weight. Depeche Mode are capable of much more than this.... a total shame.

Gaston
Feb 1, 2013 10:15am

I think the verses are great, Gahan sings fantastically and the minimal piano + distorted guitar complements the melody perfectly. I certainly wouldn't have minded a stronger chorus though, as it would have given the song more of a climax which is sadly lacking here. Still a strong track though. It's a strange choice for a first single, but given that the pop charts are pretty much off limits for bands like DM since somehwere around 1999 I guess they just went with what they felt for, kind of like Dave wanting Condemnation to be the first single from Songs of Faith and Devotion.

All That's Mine is, even in a time when the very concept of a B-side is more dead than that parrot from the Monty Python sketch, still extremely identifiable as a B-side...

DavidN
Feb 4, 2013 8:24pm

I like Heaven. It will be interesting to see if the forthcoming album is as good as Violator; Songs of Faith & Devotion; Ultra and how Heaven compares to the other tracks on Delta Machine. Many of today's bands seem to sound as soulful as the theme to The One Show. It is good that the Mode are still out there making records.