Baker's Dozen

Roll Over Beethoven: Jeff Lynne's Favourite Albums
Julian Marszalek , October 9th, 2012 11:58

Mr Blue Sky works up thirteen of his top LPs

The common complaint from Baker’s Dozen’s many participants is that of the struggle of narrowing down a list of life-long favourite long-players into a relatively compact list of just 13 albums. Not so for Jeff Lynne. Quite the opposite in fact.

“I have had a hard time whittling them up to 13!” he laughs.

Jeff Lynne, singer, songwriter and producer is still best known for his work with ELO, the Beatles-influenced pop monster that gained the approval of the Fab Four. But as Lynne is keen to point out with his choice of albums, there’s so much more to him than the band that truly made his name.

“I’m sorry they’re all by me!” says Lynne by way of apology as he meets the Quietus in the genteel surroundings of a Belgravia hotel.

“Craig, my manager, asked for the list in the car on the way to this hotel and I’m thinking, ‘I don’t know what my favourite albums are off the top of my head right now’ because this is the first time I’ve ever been asked this question,” he says as he explains both his predicament and the rationale behind his final choices.

“I’m going, ‘do you think they’ll mind if I include some of the ones that I’ve produced?’ because I do like those albums and he goes, ‘No, go ahead and do them.’ So I’m sorry about that! But at least I’ve got some stories about them!”

Let the tales commence…

Jeff Lynne's new album Longwave and Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best Of Electric Light Orchestra are both out now via Frontiers Records

Click on the photo below to begin scrolling through Jeff's favourite albums.

Jeff_lynne_1349798452_resize_460x400

Grimm
Oct 9, 2012 5:24pm

no bad brains?

Apop
Oct 9, 2012 7:46pm

Nice to see the Zombies get a shout - criminally underrated for that era, in my humble opinion.

Carpathian
Oct 9, 2012 8:41pm

Many are so obvious that you could guess at least half but it's little things like *which* Beatles albums are chosen rather than the fact there are any that make these run downs interesting. It's also interesting to read the list from the studio angle rather than musician. Good stuff.

Jeff
Oct 9, 2012 8:47pm

Good call on Revolver, Jeff. Probably the most satisfying Beatles record front-to-back, along with Abbey Road. (IMO)

Rick Vendl II
Oct 10, 2012 1:15am

I wonder if Jeff Lynne had anything to do with The Marvelettes getting a Rock Hall nomination this year! 8-)

Reggie P
Oct 10, 2012 8:15am

Oh Jeff! Great to see Del Shannon get a shout out and see his strange(ly beautiful) face in The Quietus.

Del made a great psychsploitation record (didn't they all?) in about 1967/8 called The Further Adventures of Charles Westover (Del's real name). It is a gem of a record, great song writing, trippy sounds. Tracks like I Think I Love You and Bob Stanley's fave, Gemini are just awesome.

Check it out, friends!

x

Simon
Oct 10, 2012 6:18pm

Another prime example of what makes the Quietus so great; the lack of snobbery in your choice of interviewees. I mean, personally I can take or leave ELO, but I love the fact that you have this as well as reviews of the latest by Necrophiliac Hillbillies or whoever.

Mia
Oct 11, 2012 12:36pm

Personally I think the Flaming Pie album that Lynne produced for McCartney is better than Cloud Nine. Far better songs on Flaming Pie. But I was interested to see him pick Please Please Me. It's a rocking little record -- great start with I Saw Her Standing There, great finish with Twist & Shout, and some great covers on it. It's a record to get people in a club moving and seems the closest we'll get to hearing what the early Beatles sounded like.

mariah
Oct 12, 2012 12:55pm

all

Neil J Turner
Oct 13, 2012 6:26pm

I have been a huge fan of ELO and later all Jeff's other stuff since 1978. While it is very frustrating most of the time, what I truly respect about the man is he is a very humble private person. As Clint Eastwood is to acting, Jeff Lynne is to music. I love his music so much and now my daughter's aged 7 & 9 love him too. They want me to ask him if we can come stay with him for a couple of weeks at his house in LA. If only life was that simple but I/we would jump on the next plane if invited. This was a complete surprise seeing his top albums. Well done Quietus again. I had no idea he loves Pet Sounds even though I heard once he's got something very original to do with the Beach Boys follow-up album, Smile, which got shelved in the 60's. ELO is by far my favourite band but if asked what my favourite album is, I always say Pet Sounds. Thanks for that Quietus and of course, Jeff. We're waiting for the invite, me and my beautiful young daughter's. And they tell me you're always invited to out humble abode in Scotland, with its beautiful surroundings. Anytime!!

zheng lulin
Oct 17, 2012 8:28am

http://www.louisvuittonukggoogle.co.uk Louis Vuitton UK
http://www.coachfactoryoutletless.com Coach Factory Outlet

redmanthinks
Oct 22, 2012 11:13am

In reply to Apop:

Only just recently discovered O&O. Fantastic songwriting.

Debbie Lohrmann
Oct 22, 2012 5:19pm

Thank you for giving them a great review. this has always been my favorite albume and have been blessed to see them 5 times in the last 4 years. They just get better each time!