News

WATCH: ELO - Mr. Blue Sky
Laurie Tuffrey , September 25th, 2012 13:17

Exclusive premiere of new ELO video ahead of the release of new best of and Jeff Lynne solo albums

To celebrate the Electric Light Orchestra's 40th anniversary, Jeff Lynne has revisited and, in part, re-recorded some of their back catalogue for Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best Of Electric Light Orchestra, out on October 8 via Frontiers Records.

As well as their classics, the album will also feature a never-before-heard bonus track, ‘The Point Of No Return’. We've got the exclusive premiere of the new animated video for 'Mr. Blue Sky' below, featuring harmonising clouds, marching choirs of forget-me-nots and Lynne's Technicolor Dreambeard - have a watch below:

Here's the tracklisting:

1. 'Mr. Blue Sky'
  2. 'Evil Woman'
  3. 'Strange Magic'
  4. 'Don’t Bring Me Down'
  5. 'Turn To Stone'
  6. 'Showdown'
  7. 'Telephone Line'
  8. 'Livin’ Thing'
  9. 'Do Ya'
  10. 'Can’t Get It Out Of My Head'
  11. '10538 Overture'
  12. 'The Point Of No Return'

Lynne is also releasing a new solo album, Long Wave, on the same day, featuring his versions of the songs he listened to as a child.

He says: “I call this new album Long Wave because all of the songs I sing on it are the ones heard on long wave radio when I was a kid growing up in Birmingham, England. These songs take me back to that feeling of freedom in those days and summon up the feeling of first hearing those powerful waves of music coming in on my old crystal set. My dad also had the radio on all the time, so some of these songs have been stuck in my head for 50 years. You can only imagine how great it felt to finally get them out of my head after all these years.”

Have a look at the tracklisting below:

1. 'She'
  2. 'If I Loved You'
  3. 'So Sad'
  4. 'Mercy, Mercy'
  5. 'Running Scared'
  6. 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered'
  7. 'Smile'
  8. 'At Last'
  9. 'Love Is A Many Splendored Thing'
  10. 'Let It Rock'
  11. 'Beyond The Sea'

The two LPs will be followed by further ELO/Lynne releases next year, including a live album, ELO Live!, a reissues of their 2001 album Zoom and Lynne's first solo album, Armchair Theatre.

Stavros P. Leibowitz
Sep 26, 2012 9:11am

Why does the track finish before the end?

Cheryl Lipp
Sep 27, 2012 3:53am

This up lifted my heart and soul, I am so glad I can share this video and music of my beloved Jeff Lynne with mygrandchildren, this is the music of my life

Horace Wilbury
Sep 27, 2012 4:26am

Stupendous! Extraordinary! Fantastic! Phenomenal!

Dave cooper
Sep 27, 2012 5:04am

Brilliant news, the master singer songwriter is back.

Ken Greenwell
Sep 27, 2012 8:56am

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!... The guys who put this joyous animation together have managed to capture the absolute essence of this wonderful, uplifting song...

Seeing and listening to Jeff's amazing re-recording of this ELO mega-classic has made me so very, very happy today!
:o)

Ken

Dave cooper
Sep 27, 2012 2:45pm

out of the blue was my first ELO album and is still my favourite
to this day,its a masterpiece i have always wanted to see jeff lynne perform his songs live with a full orchestra that would be amazing,i have all the albums mr lynne has ever made and watever he releases i will buy because im Hooked on ELO,and its time this great songwriter got the recognition he deserves especially here in the uk.

Arthur Payne
Sep 27, 2012 4:19pm

Great video,so nice to hear the versions of classic ELO hits, the vocals are more pronounced. Before the vocals seemed secondary.

Scott Wahlstrom
Sep 27, 2012 5:39pm

In reply to Stavros P. Leibowitz:

My thoughts exactly! I kept waiting for the final orchestration and all I got was credits.

Dave cooper
Sep 28, 2012 6:27pm

a little bit of info for the jeff lynne fans out there, jeff will be appearing on later with jools holland on tuesday nxt wk the 3rd of october and then he is on bbc4 on the 5th of october the friday night at 21.00 in a elo documentary, and he will also be on bbc radio2 on the same day with steve wright,bring it on.

billy mcgeachy
Sep 29, 2012 10:27am

what a brilliant rerecord by the same writer,producer, arranger,guitarist in JEFF LYNNE. ELO/JEFF FANS ARE SO SPOILT, TWO CLASSIC VERSIONS OF THE SAME SONG, THIS ONE AND THE ORIGINAL, MADE 35 YEARS AGO.

steve
Oct 1, 2012 4:33am

Video is great, but the cd can not be the very best of without "Sweet Talkin Woman" on it.

Nov 12, 2013 7:03am