News

Amanda Palmer: Now Paying Crowdsourced Musicians
Laurie Tuffrey , September 20th, 2012 06:26

Singer changes mind after "week-long fervid – and at times vitriolic — discourse"

Amanda Palmer has taken to her blog to state that she will now, in fact, be paying the crowdsourced musicians playing on her tour, possibly bringing to a close what she describes as "a week-long fervid – and at times vitriolic — discourse about the nature and value of art, energy, time and money".

Palmer writes: "for better or for worse, this whole kerfuffle has meant i’ve spent the past week thinking hard about this, listening to what everyone was saying and discussing. i hear you. i see your points. me and my band have discussed it at length. and we have decided we should pay all of our guest musicians. we have the power to do it, and we’re going to do it. (in fact, we started doing it three shows ago.)

"my management team tweaked and reconfigured financials, pulling money from this and that other budget (mostly video) and moving it to the tour budget.
all of the money we took out of those budgets is going to the crowd-sourced musicians fund. we are going to pay the volunteer musicians every night. even though they volunteered their time for beer, hugs, merch, free tickets, and love: we’ll now also hand them cash."

Additionally, she confirms that she will be paying the musicians who have already played: "we’re also retroactively sending a payment to the folks who’ve already played with us. SURPRISE!"

She adds: "i really appreciate those of you who came to the table and made your voices heard. despite a few of the haters who were just along for the fun, i really value your various points of view, and into conveying your thoughts – even if we don’t all agree. this is how we grow. we are the media, and we are a peaceful community who communicate with each other. this is how we do it, this is how we’ve always done it."

Earlier this week, we reviewed Palmer's recent album Theatre Is Evil, which the tour is in support of, and found "definitive proof that there is substance behind the 'stuff'" - have a read here.

Sep 20, 2012 1:24pm

puppet show

AustyAustin
Sep 20, 2012 2:30pm

I saw her in Edinburgh in 09 and I must say the show was truly an awesome experience and the perfect way to end a month of post modern lit studies and the festival... I'm glad she has seen fit to spread the money around although I do know real fanatics that would love to play for her whatever the context.. Steve albini's insults and well documented misogyny aside, I think weathering the storm and being open to the course correction only illustrates her commitment to quality. I am only a casual fan at best but today I'm proud of Amanda Palmer

worthless recluse
Sep 20, 2012 3:59pm

In reply to AustyAustin :

So... Albini's questioning of Palmer's integrity and suspiciously wasteful spending (which I believe has now come to the attention of the IRS) is invalid because he had a band called Rapeman 23 years ago?

John
Sep 20, 2012 8:34pm

Fair play to her for listening to the criticism and being big enough to change her mind.

Sep 20, 2012 9:28pm

In reply to worthless recluse:

Ummm... Not just that... look he's said Straight chicks don't have good music taste... wrote a song about God (ha!) killing his girlfriend... Loves to call women rockers terrible names... I mean I understand it, just look at him.. no hot girl likes a stick-in-the-mud pervey nerd who sings about molestation and has the sense of humor of an adolescent with Aspbergers (sp?)... These are exactly the reasons why i like Big Black and Rapeman so much by the way (Shellac was always more of a chore to listen to) but you could see where a sensible girl would get turned off.. Besides if I had to be Albini and live in a world where Michael Gira one ups me in class, noise, Rock, and nastiness and somehow can still get a Jarboe, I'd be pissed at girls too

Sep 21, 2012 2:58am

In reply to AustyAustin :

And she did make a million bucks off Kickstarter: "Palmer had more than that at her disposal and now claims not to have enough left to pay musicians." Yay Albini.

Geoff
Sep 21, 2012 5:11am

Hmmm... but isn't almost bemoaning the fact that to pay these musicians she's had to slash her video budget? Next headline 'Palmer Accountant Sues for Unpaid Fees'.

Aust
Sep 21, 2012 6:02am

Ya i'm not saying it wasnt shady to start out with... I'm just saying a) she put on an awesome show when i saw her.. (I've seen and walked out on Shellac at ATP before.. Not because they sucked, they just weren't terribly interesting and i couldn't miss Boss Hog...) and b) it looks like she's learned her lesson... Steve (and i must say I am a fan) after all these years is still talking before he thinks..