News

LISTEN & WATCH: Frank Turner's New Band, Mongol Horde
John Doran , August 4th, 2012 05:17

Turner returns to heavy roots - watch below

Frank Turner has returned to his heavy roots with a new three-piece post-hardcore band called Möngöl Hörde. Before the Eton educated firebrand became Billy Bragg 0.2 - and the butt of much Quietus disdain - he was in a tidy hardcore band called Million Dead that some of our number used to go and watch live.

Well now, with Möngöl Hörde, if not exactly returning to that sound, he has gone back to making music of the requisite velocity and mass to be taken seriously. A makeshift video of their first demo song 'Casual Threats From Weekend Hardmen' was filmed by the three piece who ingeniously taped iPhones to their noggins - you can watch it below.

Frank, aka Renrut, is joined in the band by his regular keyboard player Matt Nasir (aka Nadir) on baritone guitar and his former Million Dead bandmate, drummer Ben Dawson (aka Awesome). It's hard to judge a band on one song but this is a rambunctious mix of early Fugazi/Rites Of Spring and Cows with a scrappy Rapeman-esque breakdown - so pretty cool by us. Anyway, judge for yourselves:

We cautiously await more music...

Click here for Möngöl Hörde's Twitter and here for their Facebook page.

And if you can't wait to see them then never fear, for a brief spot of Googling reveals that they are playing the Lock Up stage at Reading Festival on Sunday August 26.

Dominic
Aug 4, 2012 10:39am

If my calculations are correct we should be pronouncing this "Merngerl herde" - it sounds like it could be from a South Park script.

Aug 4, 2012 11:02am

In reply to Dominic:

Maybe the non-Eton educated member comes from Hull: "Err nerr, I've missed Merngerl Herd at the Adelphi."

Reggie P
Aug 5, 2012 11:06am

In reply to John Doran:

John, I don't quite get you. Do you mean to tell me - shock horror - that someone in this beat combo was privately educated?

Aug 5, 2012 8:12pm

In reply to Reggie P:

I don't care where any of the band were educated in and of itself, but yes two of them were educated at Eton. I was making a pretty useless gag about the pronunciation of the band's name. I don't think I can be any clearer than this.

Michael
Aug 5, 2012 11:49pm

In reply to John Doran:

Well, it made me laugh anyway.

K.
Aug 6, 2012 9:02am

Well that was dull.

Aug 6, 2012 11:00am

I'd somehow managed to completely avoid Frank Turner till this weekend when having heard the name a few times I decided to check out a handful of songs from the last two records. I knew nothing about him and had absolutely zero preconceptions. I hadn't previously been able to imagine anything more blowsy, meaningless, insincere and entirely cynical and than Mumford & Co. And yet there it was. Absolutely vile.

Thanks Dominic for "Mergerl Herde". They shall forever be thus.

Tony
Aug 6, 2012 4:54pm

Million Dead were any good??? That's historical revisionism right there.