News

Word Magazine Closes
The Quietus , June 29th, 2012 06:22

Monthly magazine folds

Sad news today as we learn that Word magazine, which featured many a Quietus writer on its pages, will close after the August issue. The magazine's editor David Hepworth issued a statement on the Word website citing the "dramatic changes" in both the publishing and music industries in recent years, along with the current economic downturn, as the reasons for the closure.

"We would like to thank all the staff members past and present, plus the writers, photographers, illustrators, artists, PRs and advertisers who have helped make the magazine what it has been," Hepworth writes. "We also want to thank the backers who have supported us throughout. Most of all we want to thank you, the readers. Your heartfelt involvement with the magazine — via its pages, its website, its events and its podcasts — have made the last nine years one of the most satisfying periods of our working lives. Mark has written about this in greater detail in the August issue

"The website will remain open for the immediate future as a point of contact. We will be writing to subscribers with their copy of the August issue. When we came up with that slogan — 'The Word — a magazine, a website, a podcast, a way of life' — we were being a bit tongue in cheek. But it was, wasn’t it?"

Dan B
Jun 29, 2012 12:05pm

Mixed feelings: on one hand I really felt that it was insufferably written at times, with a tone that suggested a comfort in a Radio 2 cosy-smugness about any music that was a little bit 'weird' or any art in general that hadn't been previously canonised by the cadre of older journalists by their younger selves. That said I'd rather have 100 publications out there dedicated to the dissemination of art conversation that I actively disagreed with than have only one out there that I like - discourse is as important as the work, at times, and perhaps I still believe that print is more 'valuable' than online content. So what I'm trying to say in a ten cent way is that this news makes me sadder than I expected.

Post-Punk Monk
Jun 29, 2012 12:21pm

Interesting. Just last night I was reading an old July 1980 issue of Smash Hits [sent to me by a friend] that featured a great Hepworth story on The Human League [who were then at their peak]. That's the first I've ever heard of the man as I noted the writer's credit on that story. Now this. I never saw "The Word." Wasn't it of a piece with the likes of Q, and Mojo? All of those thick, glossy, 80s-90s Britmags seemed the same to me. A bit like Kellogs making all of the cereals on the grocer's shelf.

For more ruminations on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday…

DM
Jun 29, 2012 1:56pm

In reply to Post-Punk Monk:

The Word was quite literally a world away from "those thick, glossy, 80s-90s Britmags". It had heart and soul and a sense of humour. It's monthly CD of new music led me to listen to artists I'd have struggled to connect with otherwise. Take a minute to visit the Word Blog and see the strength of feeling. I'm certain Q or Mojo won't get the same reaction when they eventually go belly-up.

Post-Punk Monk
Jun 29, 2012 2:16pm

In reply to DM:

I'll check out The Word blog a bit later. I was an early Q buyer who stopped buying it when it cost more than $4.95 an issue on American shelves. It was a bit too "classic rock" for my tastes, so I was ambivalent about it. When a mag costs more than an album, I stop buying it. I only ever saw Mojo last year when I had to buy it for the John Foxx and The Maths track [wrong version] on the bundled CD. I have never seen such a morass of self-renerential codswallop in my life! I can't believe I paid that much money for such an worthless hack-rag! A huge swath of the magazine was literally about itself, as if I cared! If you weren't a member of their clique, it was literally meaningless dribble.

For more ruminations on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday...

safc
Jun 29, 2012 7:26pm

stopped reading it years ago and moved to the wire (and this place)

i've never looked back.

shame, though, as print magazines dying out is never a good thing.

i remember when select died - i was literally in tears.

but i was a younger and less cynical man, then.

Dr Volume
Jun 29, 2012 8:01pm

I'm very sad to see it go. Yes it was a bit cozy and a bit pipe and slippers at times, a bit old fashioned,but it had some brilliant and intelligent writing in it and a world away from Mojo with their endless Pink Floyd/Beatles/Clash retrospectives. The podcasts were hilarious. The Word blog was a wonderful place to talk Music and other nonsense and one of the friendliest, well moderated places on the web and the magazine regularly published users own reviews and content so there was a great interaction between the online and the print sides of the magazine. For my part I am thrilled to have got a review of an Autechre gig published in there, despite it being the sort of thing the magazines target demographic really wouldn't like

A Nilsson
Jul 24, 2012 12:17am

No way! The word mag extinct? How is this possible when inferior rags (i.e. R.S.)are still polluting the newsagents stands.
Just another sign that the human race is in decline, and speaking of the human race, who won anyway?
Anders.