News

Lindsey Buckingham Talks Possible Nicks Reunion
The Quietus , May 30th, 2012 10:00

In new radio documentary by Pete Paphides, Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham says "I would love to work with Stevie [Nicks] again"

Last week, BBC Radio 4 broadcast an episode of Pete Paphides' excellent Follow Up Albums series that told the story of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, the legendarily fraught follow-up to their massive album Rumours, which spent 30 weeks at No. 1 in the US album chart. Tusk was the third album the band recorded with the legendary duo of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, who had been partners for years and split during their time in the band.

The documentary is great and well worth half an hour of your time - it's on iPlayer until tomorrow, when it's replaced by the next episode - but particularly interesting is the closing section, where Buckingham suggests that he would be keen to record again with Nicks.

When asked by Paphides if he would ever record with her again, he said: "I would love to record with Stevie again. It would be such a circular thing to come back to where you started, and I think it would be magical, because that subplot is so built into the history of Fleetwood Mac. So if you talk to her, put in a good word for me [laughs]. But you already talked to her I guess."

"I did," answers Paphides on the programme, "and she seemed to make all the right noises."

"Oh good - well I have written a bunch of songs," Buckingham replied, "and I do want her to hear them, and I hope that we do [work together again]."

When we spoke to Paphides, he confirmed that when he interviewed Nicks for the programme (in a section that was never broadcast), she had mentioned that Buckingham had been working on some new songs, seemingly with a view to record them together. He had been inspired to do so after the death of Nicks' mother, whom he had known since he and Nicks got together as teenagers. Nicks was apparently due to meet Buckingham the day after Paphides' interview took place. The interview, Paphides explained, was recorded by one of Nicks' staff, and when it was sent back to him that section had been deleted.

These are early and speculative noises, certainly. But if it did happen, it would be quite the comeback: their first Buckingham Nicks recording since their 1973 self-titled album (which was instrumental in them later joining Fleetwood Mac), making for a whopping near-40 year gap.

The next programme in Paphides' series looks at Suede's Dog Man Star, and will air on Radio 4 tomorrow. Full details here.

Post-Punk Monk
May 30, 2012 2:33pm

Sweet christ, NO!! No more Stevie Nicks! No more Fleetwood Mac!! No more Buckingham Nicks!!! I hated them in 1975 and I haven't changed my mind yet!! Make them stop!

for more ruminations on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Mins
May 30, 2012 4:49pm

Sweet sweet harmonies of the 70's. And both are in such rare form these days, would sound great!!!

Tony Harrison
May 30, 2012 8:54pm

In reply to Post-Punk Monk:

"What is your beef with the Mac?"

Post-Punk Monk
May 31, 2012 1:04am

In reply to Tony Harrison:

Mr. Harrison, thanks for asking. I'll elaborate.

As an American who was conscious in the mid-70s do I really have to elaborate? I vividly recall being in middle school at the time of their superstardom and honestly, I used to see kids carrying their copy of "Rumours" around like it was some fashion accessory. Actually, it was now that I think about it. Yes, an LP! This wasn't listening on a Walkman [they didn't exist yet]. or actually listening to it. This was saying "Look at me, I'm carrying a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours!" That album was omnipresent and they peeled singles off of that record like there was no tomorrow, much to my top-40 listening chagrin.

And really, I found them no better than The Eagles. They were boring, mainstream and white-bread. When I was 10-12 the records that barely filtered to my ears that drive me to this day were records like "Walk On The Wild Side" by Lou Reed, or "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk. These sounds expanded my pre-teen universe and contributed to who I am today. Yet when I go shopping in a grocery store almost 40 years later I still hear the songs from "Rumours" on the in-store music! I don't know how it was in the UK, but that album was like sonic wallpaper for the whole of America back in the day. Wallpaper that hasn't gone out of fashion in almost 40 years!

There is lots of 40 year old music I'm not tired of but that's because none of it was played non-stop everywhere in my culture. That I never liked it in the first place is insult to injury! Stevie Nicks sounds like a bleating goat to me - not unlike Susannah Hoffs of the Bangles [don't get me started...]. She just has a voice that grates on me.

Phew. Does that paint a picture for you?

For more ruminations on the Fresh New Sound of Yesteryear

mvp
Jun 2, 2012 9:27pm

That would be sweet they just harmonize so beautifully together and their just HOT together