News

Depeche Mode: Work On New LP Begins
The Quietus , February 20th, 2012 08:15

Martin Gore gets "vigour" from VCMG

As regular Quietus readers will know, we're massively excited by the new album from Vince Clarke and Martin L Gore's VCMG project - SSSS, which comes out on Mute on March 12th, is a brilliant ten tracks of chest-out techno pop - proper Essex-boy bangers. Last week, we spoke to Martin L Gore for a forthcoming Quietus feature on VCMG, and asked him how recording SSSS might impact the future of Depeche Mode.

"It's was a nice break for me to be able to go and do something completely different that doesn't involve poring over lyrics and having to think about vocal melodies," Gore told us, adding that the VCMG experience has rejuvenated him as he starts writing for Depeche Mode's thirteenth studio album. "I think I went back to actually writing for the band with much more vigour afterwards, because I had taken such a break. It gave me a real creative impetus."

However, he continued, you're unlikely to hear a techno-influenced Depeche Mode album any time soon. "I went straight from finishing the VCMG record into writing for the band," he said. "I think even though I used a lot of the same kind of instrumentation, I immediately went into a completely different headspace. The stuff I've been doing for the band is completely different to VCMG."

This is in part, said Gore, due to his love of instrumentation as well as synthesisers. "Apart from the fact that I came back to the actual songwriting with more energy, you have to remember as well that I'm also a guitar player," he said. "Working on the VCMG record, obviously I didn't look at a guitar for that whole period because it just wasn't right - so the moment I started getting back to writing songs for the band then I'm picking up the guitar, I'm going on the piano, working on chords, just working completely differently."

Gore tells us that Depeche Mode are due to enter the studio at the end of March, and are "hoping to be finished by the end of the year." For now, please meet 'Spock'.

Leah Averett
Feb 20, 2012 3:40pm

I'm so freakin' excited to hear about their new side project...Now if only my beloved,sexy&talented favorite member of Depeche Mode would come back and rejoin the band-Alan Wilder...then i'd be set for life....

Shannon McClatchey
Feb 20, 2012 6:00pm

Yes...an appearance from Mr. Wilder on the new album would be nice seeing that we haven't seen/heard much from Recoil in a while. He needs to put down the cocktail and get back in the studio!

Drew
Feb 21, 2012 10:13am

Is that T-Rex shirt Martin is wearing? Cool...

ryan
Feb 23, 2012 3:08pm

In reply to Shannon McClatchey:

really Alan as had a busy last few years album tour and more touring so what do you mean?

Nick Gallop
Mar 2, 2012 8:53pm

Analysts might not thank me for this, but would it be unfair to suggest that DM's best work came at the height of their internal creative tension? So even if they are more chilled with each other, I'd bet good money that if you once again combined Martin's and Dave's output (which I'm sorry to say is in danger of becoming nice but comfortable, like the good folks themselves), but added that missing ingredient - that detached and slightly left-field, edgy ambience from Mr Wilder - we'd have another benchmark album. If you added some occasional background input from Mr Clarke as well, a large chunk of the 40-something fanbase would die of nostalgia, and the sub-40's might yet have something to savour. Yours in no way qualified to comment whatsoever. But just did.

Chris Patino
Mar 22, 2012 11:56pm

I agree Alan should make a appearance along with Vince Clarke on the next album and call it "Reunion". They need to go back to their roots. They have had a couple of good albums since Alan left but a reinvention of old material i think is needed. More SYNTH!

viktor
Apr 28, 2012 5:04pm

just make an album that isn't boring - thats all iask