X-TG Pay Tribute To Peter Christopherson
John Doran , November 25th, 2010 14:24

A tribute received from Chris and Cosey via Mute Records

Peter ‘Sleazy’ Christopherson

27th February 1955 - 24th November 2010

Peter Christopherson, affectionately known as Sleazy, died peacefully in his sleep on the 24th of November at his home in Bangkok, Thailand.

The music and art world has lost a great talent whose unique approach ignored the conventions of the day and often challenged the status quo.

Sleazy’s playful and inspiring creativity saw him pushing boundaries as a musician, video director and designer throughout his life. He had recently returned to Thailand from Europe, where he had played a short but spectacular series of live shows as a member of Throbbing Gristle and in the newly formed trio X-TG with Cosey Fanni Tutti and Chris Carter.

Sleazy's visual art career included work as a member of the influential British design agency Hipgnosis, creating iconic record sleeve artwork in the 1970s for Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and, later, Factory Records. He took the first promo photographs of the Sex Pistols, created a highly controversial window display for Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood's clothing shop, SEX, and went on to design the logo of the hugely popular fashion company, BOY. In 1976 Sleazy met Cosey Fanni Tutti, Chris Carter and Genesis P-Orridge and together they formed electronic music provocateurs Throbbing Gristle and Industrial Records, creating one of the first independent record labels of the era and laying the foundation for a new genre of music. The band was infamously described in the Daily Mail by Tory MP Nicholas Fairbairn as "the wreckers of civilisation".

TG ceased operations in 1981, after which Sleazy formed Psychic TV with Genesis P-Orridge and they produced two albums. The second, Dreams Less Sweet included his future life partner Jhonn Balance as a member, with whom he went on to form Coil and to release an extensive body of work up until Jhonn's passing in 2004. Subsequently, Sleazy left the UK to live in Bangkok, Thailand and to continue his artistic and musical vision in the guise of The Threshold HouseBoys Choir and Soisong.

Following their original break-up, Throbbing Gristle's legacy steadily grew within the music and art world, leading to their reformation in 2004 and a series of sold-out performances, including in Tate Modern's Turbine Hall.

At the time of his death, Sleazy was in the midst of assembling what was to be Throbbing Gristle's next project: a cover version of Nico's Desertshore album.

Peter was a kind and beautiful soul. No words can express how much he will be missed.

Throbbing Gristle / X-TG

Cosey Fanni Tutti

Chris Carter

martyn pridddle
Nov 25, 2010 10:13pm

when we lost johnn blance the music worl lost its voice now with the passing of peter we have lost the worlds music, this man had such an amazing view on this planet and i was so pleased i got to see peter play his last tour as TG just befor x-tg was formed, we have lost a genius we will miss you sleep the good sleep

Christophe Bodin
Nov 26, 2010 7:30am

Listening to the Form Grows Rampant while writing this and reflecting on the passing of Peter. Spirits are dancing in the room...You will not be forgotten. All my sincere sympathy to the many who were touched by this great artist.

Tobin Dack
Nov 26, 2010 8:01am

I respect and pay you tribute humble god of musick. I steeped deeply tonight and burned copal and myrrh for your soul a safe passage and wrote and burned a lovely letter to you. Indeed your talents have inspired my band mate and I. Love lies with you Sleazy.

Bob Marklew
Nov 26, 2010 5:11pm

We meet years ago
people made a mistake and thought U was I or I was U.
Sadly I think u is missed.
U R sure to be missed.
By I and U

pantopon rose
Nov 26, 2010 8:23pm

sweet dreams our sweet prince that brought love,lust,chaos and majick to our lives. Pantopon Rose
The Eyelash Carpets

mike grant
Nov 26, 2010 10:05pm

Forging a set from real lead for your ever precise demands was a joy ..moments so very special..thankyou Peter x

geoffrey soma
Nov 30, 2010 5:25pm

thank you for a moving tribute. peter's musical input, or is that output, will obviously be missed by millions. i only saw throbbing gristle play once and found the performance hypnotic. there was a lovely young girl in the audience with unusually textured breasts which she graciously let me and my friends feel. force the hand of chance is still an album i regularly play.

Dec 12, 2010 11:38pm

My day is lost, Peter i am

Jan 10, 2011 2:03am

In reply to Lucy:

Jan 10, 2011 2:07am

In reply to Lucy:

Ok! Please someone tell us why Peter had to go. Was it his 77 years experience versus his 55 years?

Jan 11, 2011 3:30am

I've cut out the first reprint page from Liber Legis by Aleister, then went to the tribute concert in Moscow, indeed being blessed enough as I still cannot find any other concerts being held for your memory anywhere in the world. I promise to organise the next one. Anyway, the tribute was quite short and I wasn't quick enough to place the sheet and a candle for you. So after the whole thing I presented it to the guys that in my opinion were the best, especially paying respect directly to you and not playing their own stuff. They played "somnambulist in an ambulance - the dreamer is still asleep". Just wanted to say that that reprint is for you through them. Hopefully the magick has taken place

Jan 13, 2011 6:44pm

Beautiful music was created by this man. I have enjoyed and repeatedly played The Wheel over and over. I dig the lyrics. I'm also impressed that he directed many commercials and music videos and designed many album covers. What a genius. R.I.P. ox