News

Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson RIP
Luke Turner , November 25th, 2010 05:24

It is with great sadness that this morning the Quietus is having to report that Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson of Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV, Coil and X-TG has died. He was 55, and reportedly passed away in his sleep. The news was broken in the early hours of the morning by Chris Carter and Cosey Fanni Tutti, who tweeted "Our dearest beautiful Sleazy left this mortal coil as he slept in peace last night.words cannot express our grief". The Throbbing Gristle website simply features Sleazy's name, and the dates of his life: 1955 - 2010.

Only recently Sleazy had been in London for what will now be Throbbing Gristle's final ever concert at the Village Underground venue. Read our interview with Sleazy, conducted just a few months ago, here. Our thoughts are with Cosey Fanni Tutti, Chris Carter, Genesis P-Orridge, TG's manager Paul Smith and all Sleazy's friends and family.

Robin "Scanner" Rimbaud contacted the Quietus to pay tribute: "Sleazy was the sweetest gentleman. I remember him telling me after the very first Scanner CD in 1992 that it was the first album he'd listened to all the way through from start to finish in a long time and that really touched me, given that I'd been a TG fan since 1980. We remained friends since then and I will miss him a hollow heart indeed. I hope there's a hellish handsome angel out there that has kidnapped him for eternal naughtiness."

uncle d
Nov 25, 2010 10:45am

totally shocked by this news, I was hugely touched by this mans music in all its glorious forms.
there will never be another artist like him ever again..

svirgula
Nov 25, 2010 10:47am

the man brought so much into so many lives. thank you, unkle sleaze.

Carpathian
Nov 25, 2010 10:57am

I was quite surprised how much this news had saddened me but, considering the huge body of work he contributed to, it really should be a given for anybody with ears. A huge loss to rousing & adventurous music.

Nov 25, 2010 11:16am

Theres a shocker. RIP Uncle Sleazy

Mat Colegate
Nov 25, 2010 11:26am

Gutted. Just gutted. x

dave evans
Nov 25, 2010 11:49am

damn. Coil and PTV were the soundtrack to my formative years (still are) and had some useful and convivial emails in more recent years with PC, a truly charming man, about various things, including my research on Austin Spare. Coil produced astonishing and challenging music and visuals to put the guts back into experimental music, and there's an awesome band now assembling on the other side from here. Our Loss.

Ronald
Nov 25, 2010 11:58am

Sad! How could be true. he was so lively in the late videos I saw online..? ...cannot believe it's true

Sadnoiss
Nov 25, 2010 12:01pm

I will miss him so much!

anton alfred newcombe
Nov 25, 2010 12:10pm

very sad...

bless,
a

gonzohunter
Nov 25, 2010 2:42pm

this is so incredibly sad. he was brilliant and he leaves an enormous legacy of fantastic music. and he was a damn nice man too.

Aladar
Nov 25, 2010 3:31pm

There will never be another like him. Sleazy, thank you for everything, especially for the eternal beauty and inspiration you've brought into my life.

Dexterity
Nov 25, 2010 3:33pm

Sooo sad... Hoping he'll find Love's Secret Domain somewhere down that Anal Staircase... RIP x

Michael Wozniak
Nov 25, 2010 3:48pm

Very sad and disturbing news this morning.

Paolo Bandera (SIGILLUM S, SSHE RETINA STIMULANTS)
Nov 25, 2010 4:09pm

In reply to Michael Wozniak:

I am totally shocked...Sleazy has been one of the greatest musical influences on my musical & cultural life, since the very early TG days... without him, SIGILLUM S and SSHRE RETINA STIMULANTS would have been VERY different... at least, I was lucky enough to see him (in slendid form) a last time with X-TG in Bologna... THANK YOU EVERYTHING, PETER !

kyber
Nov 25, 2010 4:57pm

Sleazy leaves behind an incredible body of work that will forever be appreciated. What an amazingly talented man. Thanks for everything uncle sleazy.

digitalsoma
Nov 25, 2010 5:09pm

x-tg is born dead ,
but sleazy will never die
in my heart & in my ears
rest in noise,
who's gonna feed my heart & ear now!!!

Hugh Mulhall
Nov 25, 2010 5:19pm

I got to see them for the first time in Hackney recently and it was a mighty fine event - not so long since i discovered Coil and there too is a wealth of material that will ensure him a place among his loyal band of afficianados for posterity and beyond not doubt - bit young but at least it wasn't something tragic

Alex
Nov 25, 2010 6:10pm

RIP Peter. Last time we met, just 3 weeks ago, you were in fine health. Thanks for the music and art, you will never be forgotten!

The Green Child
Nov 25, 2010 7:04pm

One of the greatest musical innovators of the last 35 years.
A true underground hero, his influence cannot be overestimated.
Coil is reunited in another dimension.

Chris
Nov 25, 2010 7:52pm

Shame to hear. Thoughts are with family/friends and everyone that knew him.

Sonserai451
Nov 25, 2010 9:34pm

Nice and Sleazy did it, guest + host = ghost.
Bye bye

Scotty Irving
Nov 25, 2010 11:59pm

I have performed a show called Clang Quartet for nearly 14 years. Throbbing Gristle were a major influence on the direction the sound of my show would be like and this is very sad news to me. God bless his friends and family at this time of sorrow.

Jamie Blackman
Nov 26, 2010 12:03am

Please give my love to Jhonn when you see him, and keep a lifetime's worth for yourself. Now I know the meaning of 23--the number of years I would be your fan until you left us all. See you on the other side.

...
Nov 26, 2010 4:12pm

...

Jeff B
Nov 30, 2010 9:24pm

Very sad to hear about Peter's death.
You made a massive impact on my life, Peter.
I don't know what else to say except Rest In Peace.