News

Mark E Smith Blasts & Bottles Mumford & Sons
The Quietus , October 20th, 2010 06:19

Cardigans lacerated by flying glass...

The Fall's Mark E Smith was apparently involved in an altercation with dire banjo wielding troupe Mumford & Sons at an Irish festival earlier this year. In an interview with the Australian magazine Brag Smith complained that The Fall's increasing popularity at festivals means they're forced to meet new bands who are often "ass lickers". Even worse, some of them are Mumford & Sons.

"We were playing a festival in Dublin the other week. There was this other group like, warming up in the next sort of chalet, and they were terrible. I said 'shut them cunts up' and they were still warming up, so I threw a bottle at them. The bands said 'that's the Sons of Mumford' or something, 'they're number five in charts!' I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers."

Also in the interview, Smith claimed that he'd "left Domino records last week".

Eric
Oct 20, 2010 10:31am

It was only a matter of time. Respect to MES for showing us the way.

Oct 20, 2010 12:32pm

Domino's a little clean for MES, it was never going to work. They work like a major, same set-ups and all, la. How could you have MES work like that?

Soso
Oct 20, 2010 1:21pm

Good. I hate those cunts.

ronan
Oct 21, 2010 9:31am

I was there. Stopped for a few minutes to see what all the fuss over Mumford & Sons was about. They were shite. I couldn't believe they had such a big following and how enthusiastic they all were. Well done Mark. Put petrol in the bottle next time.

The Fall were smashing, though.

hoohaahee
Oct 21, 2010 9:49am

Mark e Smith is an overrated, tramp-looking, opionated little cunt.

Ever notice that whenever he has something to promote, out of the fuckin' blue there's a "disagreement" with another band who happen to be getting press?

A couple of years ago it was the Arctic monkeys. Next year it'll be whoever is in the public eye at the same time the Fall are touring.

For the Fall fanboys there, take yer head outta yer arses, then fuck off down t'shops an buy an NME.

Allen
Oct 21, 2010 10:29am

In reply to hoohaahee:

And what exactly is Mark E Smith promoting at the moment? He's just been dropped from a label so he's hardly promoting anything.
Also, since when has the NME been the magazine of choice for Fall fans?

Mikael
Oct 21, 2010 12:16pm

Well spoken. And true.

Pete
Oct 22, 2010 10:56am

Swineshead
Oct 22, 2010 3:42pm

In reply to Pete:

'What kind of a brainless thug throws a bottle at someone?'

They're not people. They're Mumford & Sons.

Oct 23, 2010 3:39am

I love The Fall, but seriously, what the fuck is he doing? Mark E Smith is a grown man, but acts like a petulant child. He doesn't like Mumford and Sons (nor do I, might I add), and so throws a bottle at them? It's not ok to throw bottles at people, no matter how badly you dislike them, and certainly not because you don't like the music they play! He is a great musician, but what an emotionally immature shit.

Oct 23, 2010 6:00pm

Why not throw a bottle? If he threw a bottle at me Id be bragging about it the rest of my life.

Oct 24, 2010 2:07am

He's even worse than a petulant child. Have some decency, man!

bazza
Oct 25, 2010 5:59pm

yawn. MES "too cool for school" shocker. Hopefully one day MES will pick on the wrong band, and get a well deserved hiding. Who the f**k does he think he is??? Seriously. I can't stand this childish shite. He's on a festival bill. There's a band beside him warming up, who he doesn't like. Who gives a shite? Play your set. Have some manners, and f**k off to your next festival if it bothers you that much MES!!!
Better again. If it REALLY bothers you. Give up music, and get a day job, so you won't have to be around the likes of mumford and sons.
There's many the band I don't like, but they're nice guys, so I'll give them the time of day. A wanker is a wanker. I don't care what his or her reputation is.
It's people like this you'd love to see brought down a peg or two...

uncle d
Oct 29, 2010 5:22pm

In reply to bazza:

are you one of those community pretend coppers? or maybe a st johns ambulance man?

FitBoySlob
Oct 29, 2010 7:55pm

My Father was cantankerous and somewhat grumpy at the best of times. I still loved him though, ergo Mr Smith. Mumford & Sons are giant pants...talentless dullards.....

Astridweekes
Nov 1, 2010 4:42pm

Why did he think they sounded anything like Irish folk singers, anyway? They couldn't be further from Irish folk!

RS
Nov 8, 2010 4:48pm

In reply to Astridweekes:

Was Mark E Smith not originally in a boy band?

hoohaahee
Dec 20, 2010 5:59pm

In reply to Allen:

He usually has nothing to "promote" except bland, navel gazing, self-obsessive dirges masquerading as "music"

Also, I challenge you to scientifically disprove my assertation that he is, in fact, a cunt.

hoohaahee
Feb 8, 2011 4:41pm

What a sad bastard you are.

Jon
Mar 10, 2011 5:48pm

The distraught reaction of Mumford fans over such a minor incident really shows you what a sanitised, safe, souless joke of a band they are. Tuck your shirt in, be nice and maybe you'll get your song on an IBM/Toyota advert.

michael burford
Mar 24, 2011 3:45pm

what an ugly little cunt.

Drop The Leash
Apr 29, 2011 6:23pm

In reply to Eric:

Don't be a bunch of idiots. Mark E Smith is a card carrying arsehole. That's why I have bestowed the honour of Twat of the month to him on my blog: http://www.droptheleash.co.uk/?p=884

tweedle dee
May 13, 2011 2:29pm

In reply to Drop The Leash:

maybe that's why no-one's never heard of your irrelevant little blog.

Vanessa
Jun 29, 2011 7:20pm

In reply to michael burford:

hotter than you, still, i bet

Vanessa
Jun 29, 2011 7:26pm

In reply to Pete:

"What kind of a brainless thug throws a bottle at someone? What is wrong with you people?"

Lighten Up

johnj
Jul 16, 2011 12:27pm

In reply to hoohaahee:

I would have done the same.

Charley Stone
Jun 28, 2012 3:14pm

These comments are most enlightening. Some people like Mark E Smith; others beg to differ. It takes me right back to when Sting was being a mod in Brighton and all those rockers overtook them all on their nasty big bikes. What a lot of nonsense!

Liam
Sep 13, 2012 6:52pm

I'd piss in the bottle first

Oct 6, 2012 12:11am

Mumford and sons is precious, samey, boring folky, effected shite, god bless mark e smith

Colin
Sep 28, 2013 6:34am

Mark E. Smith is a legend. Mumford isn't fit to shine his shoes.

sean
Feb 13, 2014 1:38pm

Agree, typical insipid slop like the Mall creatures
buble and Jamie Cullum. The scene is sacharrine and dull, bring back 1971.