News

Mary Anne Hobbs To Leave Radio 1
The Quietus , July 23rd, 2010 09:22

Bass evangelist announces resignation

Mary Anne Hobbs, revered presenter of Radio 1's Breezeblock and Experimental shows and outspoken Dubstep ambassador, has announced that she will be leaving the BBC.

In a statement published on her Myspace page, she said the following:

'Yesterday I resigned from BBC Radio1, after an amazing multi-dimensional 14 year career.

'The great freedoms the BBC have given in me as a broadcaster, have allowed me to help break so many confrontational artists as diverse as Slipknot and Skream, and of course, the whole genre of Dubstep in recent times.

'My current Experimental show is in peak condition, it’s never been stronger. And although it’s a very emotional decision to leave the show that I love so much, it’s also an optimum moment to bow out, at the very top of my game.

'My work for Radio1 on the Breezeblock, Rock Show, many fascinating documentaries about everything from David Bowie to Dubstep, on daytime, at festivals and award ceremonies, has been exceptionally rewarding. These have been glory days not just for me, but for all the artists who have shared my BBC platform, and of course, the listeners everywhere from Beijing to Berlin, Baltimore to Blackpool, who shared a great passion for future sound.

'I will continue to DJ live, work in film, and curate at Sonar festival in Barcelona.

'I have also accepted a new job mentoring and teaching students at Sheffield University’s radio station, TV station and the newspaper that operate out of their superb Forge Media Hub, which presents me with a really exciting new challenge.

'My last show on BBC Radio1 will be broadcast: 9 September 2-4am

'Thank you so much for listening..'

Jul 23, 2010 1:50pm

When Dave Lee Travis left Radio 1 he was 48. Simon Bates was 45. Both were considered too old for a network whose target age range is supposed to be 15-29.

MAH is 46. It's time she - and a number of her colleagues on the station - made way.

Jul 23, 2010 1:56pm

Utter bullshit. Simon Bates and Dave Lee Travis would have been sorely missed when they left... had they been playing the Ganja Kru and 4Hero instead of The Eagles and Ultravox. Hobbs is an amazing DJ, no matter what age. Sooner her than (the significantly younger) Moyles The Hutt.

Jul 23, 2010 1:57pm

In reply to John Doran:

Although I'm not sure in what sense she broke Slipknot...

uncle d
Jul 23, 2010 4:03pm

Is it not time for the whole of radio one to be switched off for good?
they have been playing catch up for years and still seem wildly out of touch...
I think they should all resign and hand over the controls to Bill Drummond.
Job done

Johnny Nothing
Jul 25, 2010 2:31pm

Did anyone else find it somewhat incongruous that she made the leap from rock to dubstep?

Jul 25, 2010 2:52pm

In reply to Johnny Nothing:

No. I liked rock before I liked dubstep. I think you'll find that most people did.

Johnny Nothing
Jul 25, 2010 3:38pm

In reply to John Doran:

I see that. Heard a great dubstep mix recently with Ozzy's Crazy Train in the middle of it. Worked really well. But she seemed so firmly entrenched in the rock thing. What with the motorcycles and all. I can't think of any other examples of such a switch. I'm sure our gentle readers can though.

Jul 25, 2010 3:57pm

In reply to Johnny Nothing:

I'm no fan of the extreme sports, motorbike racing, pepsi max lifestyle but there is undeniably a slightly macho element to dubstep. Something which Melissa Bradshaw's written about on this site actually. But whatever her reasons I'm glad she moved on to dubstep from big beat or whatever it was she was into a few years back.

Johnny Nothing
Jul 25, 2010 7:35pm

In reply to John Doran:

And you an experienced mountain climber and all. There appears to be both a male and a female strain to dubstep. With the former, it's all about who can make the biggest baddest wobbles. With the latter, it's more textured and atmospheric.