News

Paul McCartney To Play Fireman Live
The Quietus , November 25th, 2009 20:41

Thumbs aloft to live shows wi'Youth?

Former Beatle and Knight of the British Empire Sir Paul McCartney has revealed that a special concert based purely on his Fireman project with producer and erstwhile Killing Joke bassist Youth might be a very real possibility.

Speaking exclusively to The Quietus on the eve of the launch of his new live DVD, ‘Good Evening New York’, McCartney said: “We might well have to do a special venue and say, ‘We’re only doing Fireman stuff tonight and nothing else!’ and if people went for that then we’d have something.”

Given that his forthcoming live DVD - filmed at New York’s Citi Field Stadium which is built on the grounds of the old Shea Stadium where The Beatles played the rock’n’roll generation’s first stadium gig – is based largely on McCartney’s Beatles, Wings and solo highlights, The Quietus wondered whether working away from the Paul MCartney brand under the Fireman banner offered him more musical freedom?

“Yeah, it does free you up,” McCartney told us. “And I like working with Youth on the Fireman stuff which is nice 'cos you get away from [fans’] expectations and it’s very nice to do. Consequently it makes for a very free album and we can go anywhere and the idea of idea of taking it on the road is cool.”

He then added jokingly: “Well, we thought about it a bit but it’s people walking out that I’m worried about!”

Good Evening New York City is released on December 14th

SEA FROM KALAMIS/ ISTANBUL
Nov 26, 2009 7:01am

It will be great to hear them in a special concert on the Bosphorus Bridge(before U2 do it in 2010 in Istanbul)singing altogether Travelling Light and Dance Till We're High Tonight.I still keep my wish AND do not give up.

Rachel Doyle
Nov 26, 2009 9:08am

Wow, I'd pay good money to see a Fireman only gig. Paul, there is absolutely NO CHANCE of me walking out!!!!

Dee
Nov 26, 2009 4:48pm

Hope he does this kind of a show in the states. I love the Beatles, yadda, yadda, but I think it would be great to see him leave off that persona and play purely his own stuff. His insecurity about this is actually a little sad (and endearing). Besides Electric Arguments, I'd love to hear him do songs from Chaos and Creation, Ram, McCartney, and Run Devil Run.

A
Nov 26, 2009 9:05pm

I would love to hear Paul doing anything he wants to do, in his own way. He is at his best when he is in tune with his own moment, whatever that may be. I'm ready for him to wing it - and I'll be there with him all the way.

love2travel
Nov 27, 2009 8:21am

I really hope this becomes a reality! Brilliant!

Mike
Nov 28, 2009 3:57pm

That would be awesome! "India" would fit in nicely with his Fireman stuff

harleyblues
Nov 28, 2009 8:25pm

ha! Macca F that!! who cares if they walked out they wouldn't be fans than?! do what you feel is right!!!!!!!

harleyblues
Nov 28, 2009 9:25pm

I added your link to my blog !! freakin awesome, I tell you!!!!

harleyblues
Nov 28, 2009 9:27pm

In reply to love2travel:

Figures I'd see you here Love to Travel!! ha!! we'll meet up than? :) I Love the idea!!

Valerie Moss
Dec 1, 2009 7:38pm

Valerie Moss
London NW6

Dance 'til We're High Together?

I would love 2