News

Muse Don't Want Glenn Beck As A Fan
Ben Hewitt , October 5th, 2009 08:04

Band ask Fox News commentator to retract his endorsement

Space prog-rockers Muse forced Fox News commentator Glenn Beck to retract statements he made endorsing the band on his radio show.

Beck, known for his conservative views and attacks on Barack Obama, praised Muse's latest album The Resistance on his show, The Glenn Beck Program.

He described the album as "absolutely fantastic" and interpreted the album's political lyrics as an attack on the Obama institution and the dangers of "one world government".

He said: "These guys are brilliant, they know the time that we live in. They are libertarians from England.

"All of the lyrics are... dead on, on what's coming our way."

But during the show, a representative of the band emailed Beck and asked him to withdraw his comments as they misrepresented their political beliefs.

"They would like me to retract my endorsement," said Beck. "My apologies to Muse for saying that I like them. I didn't mean to destroy all their credibility and all their coolness.

"It's an awful album and you should never go out and buy it."

Rich M
Oct 5, 2009 2:46pm

Make album with themes taken from right wing American conspiracy lore,
Get upset when right wing Americans like it.

Muse. Music made by, and for, thick wankers.

John Tatlock
Oct 5, 2009 7:07pm

There's something to that, for sure, but Beck is *so* unhinged that even other right wing conspiracy nuts in the media are starting to distance themselves from him, and probably with some justification.

Brandy
Oct 9, 2009 6:18pm

Muse should feel blessed that the have fans instead of discrediting the FEW they have. Number one their music isn't all that great so to have someone state that it was "absolutely fantastic", does it really matter who it comes from? They could have just said that the political beliefs Beck translated the lyrics into, were not correct and left it at that, but then to continue on with "not wanting him as a fan", shut up! Be lucky you have one!

Laura
Oct 13, 2009 7:28pm

Glenn Beck later admitted that he made this story up. Muse have made no official comments about Beck's statements.

t.rex
Dec 8, 2009 3:00am

In reply to Brandy:

Although this no longer matters because the whole thing turned out to be a sick joke on Glenn's part, but as for you saying they only have a few fans, you must know nothing about them. They are one of the more popular bands out there, and don't need idiots like you or Glenn as fans.

Josie McLinsky
Mar 17, 2012 1:11am

Okay so I own the album mentioned in this article and when I first heard the lyrics I came to the same conclusion as Beck did. I am a fan of Beck and I agree with what he has to say concerning the Obama Administration. Like it or not, their lyrics of their music speaks to me and tells me that we DO need to watch out and unite as one in order to preserve our freedom. I'm not understanding why Beck was called out on his attempts to endorse the album while using the meaningful lyrics to prove a very well said point. He only interpreted what he felt the music was saying to him and had an opinion, which is, by the way, what America is founded on , right? As for Muse's issues with Beck using their music, I feel that they totally contradicting their music by conforming to everyone elses views.