News

Madonna Collaborates With Sunn O))) In Manchester
The Quietus , July 8th, 2009 12:02

Photo evidence on the Quietus

Last week, electronic pioneers Kraftwerk used the setting of the Manchester Velodrome to perform alongside the British cycling team. Surely, there is something in those heavy north western skies that inspires artists to reach across the divides of aesthetic or practice?

And so it is that on July 7th, 2009, Madonna invited magisterial doom troupe Sunn O))) onto the stage during her concert at the Manchester MEN arena, as the photograph above clearly proves.

Interestingly, it is seemingly not just the current minimal Sunn O))) line-up of Greg Anderson and Stephen O'Malley who appeared on stage with the Material Girl. Is Madonna perhaps making a pitch to join Sunn O)))'s choir for the hotly-anticipated Monoliths & Dimensions shows later this year? Is she tiring of the Kabbalah, and seeking to discuss a deeper mysticism with Attila Csihar? Indeed, is it the Mayhem vocalist she embraces in the picture above? Has she mistaken Sunn O))) for a group of crones with specific expertise in skin stretching? Alack, pictures do not speak.

Thanks to our pal Mark E at the I Really Love Music site for the tip.

metal fan
Jul 9, 2009 5:12am

this would be quite funny if it was true, but alas -- Sunn O))) was in kansas city, missouri, on tour on 7/7/09.

Tim Burrows
Jul 9, 2009 10:02am

killjoy

Andrew Katz
Aug 29, 2009 2:41pm

Here's my chance to have a mystery solved: what the hell is that weird helical contraption-on-a-stick on the right of the picture? I've seen them at gigs from time to time, and I've been curious about what they are.

Jan 15, 2013 7:36pm

In reply to Andrew Katz:

These weird stick-thing seems to be an signal amplifier for wireless microphones. ;)

Monica M
Sep 5, 2014 7:15pm

This is ridiculous, I mean really? Madonna collaborates with Sunn O)))? This is equivalent to a collaboration with Slayer and Justin Bieber. The musical artist have nothing in common in terms of music genre, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try new things.

Though as a Sunn O))) fan and an extreme music lover, this is kind of a disappointment. But then again, this could be fake because who knows if it's really them.

Either way, regardless if this collaboration is real or fake, I'm always going to be a Sunn O))) fan because I love their music. It's just that I wouldn't expect a pop star to be collaborating with a doom metal, drone dark ambient band.