News

Founder Member Of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Quits
The Quietus , January 21st, 2009 19:56

Mick Harvey leaves the band

Mick Harvey, Nick Cave's longest serving musical collaborator, has quit the Bad Seeds, citing "a variety of personal and professional reasons".

Multi-instrumentalist Harvey has worked with Cave since the pair met as teenagers at Melbourne's Caulfield Grammar School. They then played together in the Birthday Party, before forming the Bad Seeds in 1983.

According to a statement issued today, January 22nd, Harvey says the split was an amicable one, and that he wanted to leave the band on a high. The full statement reads:

"For a variety of personal and professional reasons I have chosen to discontinue my ongoing involvement with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. After 25 years I feel I am leaving the band as it experiences one of its many peaks; in very healthy condition, and with fantastic prospects for the future.

"I'm confident Nick will continue to be a creative force and that this is the right time to pass on my artistic and managerial role to what has become a tremendous group of people who can support him in his endeavours both musically and organizationally.

"It was a fantastic experience to finish my touring days in the band with the recent shows in Australia and the unique events that took place in conjunction with All Tomorrow's Parties, especially Mt. Buller, which was one of the many highlights of my involvement with the band throughout the years.

"I shall continue working on the Bad Seeds back catalogue re-issues project over the coming year and look forward to the new opportunities I shall be able to accommodate as a result of my changed circumstances."

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

Brian Liston
Jan 22, 2009 1:31am

and then there were seven

Fred Zeppelin
Jan 22, 2009 10:42am

That is sad news indeed. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts on the music. Still, good luck to the fellaa

jonny mugwump
Jan 22, 2009 1:09pm

this is a perfect excuse for me to wonder if anybody in the world other than myself thought grinderman was utter nonsense in with terrible facial hair and clothing?

Ross McConnell
Jan 23, 2009 12:38pm

In Jonny Mugwamp's local chip shop, instead of salt n' vinegar, they save money by letting him talk pish all over the food.

All I ever read from this prick is needless, jealous bullshit. I'm not the biggest Nick Cave fan inthe world, but this bloke was in the band for 25 years. For once, just shut the fuck up, eh?

Jan 23, 2009 1:00pm

What are you on about? He's just asking if people thought Grinderman were shit. Personally I don't, I thought it was ace. No need to blow a gasket, dad.

And as for being over-respectful to rock stars like they're nobel prize winners? Fuck that. We're not Q.

Luke Turner
Jan 23, 2009 1:03pm

I love Jonny Mugwump. I love Grinderman too. I would like to tickle all their beards.

Jan 23, 2009 1:11pm

I'd like to pull on his lizard like udders.

Billy Fantastic
Jan 26, 2009 3:53pm

Jonny M

Have you never seen Big Jim's pink suit (which matches his pink kit)? By all means have a go at the music (though I disagree with you entirely) but the suits and shovel beards were beyond criticism.

It is a shame about Harvey leaving the Bad Seeds though perhaps inevitable after Warren Ellis was promoted to lead Bad Seed. Ruthless on Cave's part but undoubtedly rejuvenating for the band's music. Ellis' fingerprints are all over Dig! Lazarus Dig!