Quietus Mixes & Radio

The Quietus Hour: Our New Radio Programme 21-04-16
Luke Turner , April 21st, 2016 09:19

John and Luke are back with producer Seb White with all the best new music, top analysis of the news, Mat Colegate's film review section and YOUR chance to dictate what we do... if only you persuade us

The Quietus Hour makes a holy trinity of radio programmes with another episode! However have we managed it? With the assistance of our producer Seb White, that's how, who has got us to do some top new features as befitting a show transmitted way beyond the foamy shores of this desperate isle. So on this week's The Quietus hour we've a new slot called Persuasion, whereby we want YOU to get in touch with us to cajole us into playing a song you're particularly loving at the moment. Full details if you listen in, but if you're a lazy swine here's the basics - you can call 020 3393 6395 and leave a message persuading us to play a song of your choice on the next show. John gives details of what is and isn't expecting on the show, along with a new analysis of the latest in music news and our first film review slot - will Quietus film editor Mat Colegate paste Captain America in Colegate's Reels Of Steel? Find out by tuning in above, along with the best new music from Daniel Patrick Quinn, Selvhenter, Gaika, Eva Bowen, Xiu Xiu doing Twin Peaks and Marissa Nadler, plus a new life-saver Velvet Underground cover by Brian Eno, ANOTHER cover of Do You Think I'm Sexy, Coil and Barıs Manco & Kurtalan Ekspre. That's not to mention the chat you love on Luke's battles with woodpeckers in Epping Forest, England's Hidden Reverse, brutal piratical death methods and Spencer's new record shop in Margate.

If you love our features, news and reviews, please support what we do with a one-off or regular donation. Year-on-year, our corporate advertising is down by around 90% - a figure that threatens to sink The Quietus. Hit this link to find out more and keep on Black Sky Thinking.

Katarzina R'Yleh
Apr 21, 2016 9:44am

With my new electronic intelligent telephone I can listen to this in the cafe, in comfort and a modicum of style.

Katarzina R'Yleh
Apr 21, 2016 9:51am

Perhaps Quietus readers can help me. Years ago I stayed in a squat near Camden lock, to work in the market, and my squatmeiseter would regularly play a tape which I am sure was Henry Rollins, who would sing a song that went "and I'm in all things, and I'm in all things, and I'm in all things, and I'm in all things"

Is there such a lyric in a Rollins track ? I've never found it even with internet lyric searches.

Katarzina R'Yleh
Apr 21, 2016 9:53am

...talking early 90s here

Chris Thatcher
Apr 21, 2016 12:57pm

You know that line in The League of Gentlemen, where Bernice (the vicar) says 'I bet they'd get their arseholes pierced if they could get their cheeks in the machines?'... well the opening 1, 2 of Selvhenter and Daniel Patrick Quinn has figuratively made the corresponding entry and exit 'wounds' in my mind/arse/body. Absolutely amazing! Thanks for the heads up!

Katarzina R'Yleh
Apr 23, 2016 12:26pm

Yeah, but did Rollins ever sing

I need to know.

Katarzina R'Yleh
Apr 23, 2016 12:45pm

...cuz, in 1797 Ludwig Theobold Kosegarten wrote,

"Whose is the finger that plays on creation's musical glasses?
Whose is the soul that breathes over the strings of the world?
To this harper sublime the hymn of the cosmos is singing;
Life giving breath, to thee rises and kindles the heart.
Let my life be a song that joins in the heavenly paean;
Let it dissolve therein, a pure and melodious chord."

...and in 1946 Warner Allen wrote,

"Rapt in Beethoven's music, I closed my eyes and watched a silver glow which shaped itself into a circle with a central focus brighter than the rest. The circle became a tunnel of light proceeding from some distant sun in the heart of the self. Swiftly and smoothly I was borne through the tunnel and as I went the light turned from silver to gold. there was an impression of drawing strength form a limitless sea of power and a sense of deepening peace. The light grew brighter, but was never dazzling or alarming. I came to a point where time and motion ceased. In my recollection it took the shape of a flat topped rock, surrounded by a summer sea, with a sandy pool at it's foot. the dream scene vanished and I am absorbed in the light of the universe, in Reality glowing like fire with the knowledge of itself, without ceasing to be one and myself, merged like a drop of quicksilver in the Whole, yet still separate as a grain of sand in the desert. The peace that passes all understanding and the pulsating energy of creation are one in the centre in the midst of conditions where all opposites are reconciled."

... and I was wondering..... you know...?

Marmaduke Miffly
Apr 25, 2016 11:40pm

Katarzina.... don't even bother with these pomo Philistines..

Katarzina R'Yleh
Apr 26, 2016 9:17am

Quite so, Marmaduke. These modern people seem to be under the strange impression that wearing silly clothes, taking LSD and dancing to horrid "psychedelic" electronic beats will lead to some sort of "cosmic spiritual love, maaaan", whereas in fact psychedelic cosmic spiritual love is almost entirely the realm of respectable people wearing suits and living in nice houses and listening to old music.

link text
May 10, 2016 8:38pm

What a great name you have got for your website, the quitus. Really Cool