Black Sky Thinking

Why "Hotly Tipped" Brother Exemplify Perennial Tipster Idiocy
Agnes Ball , January 6th, 2011 16:08

Agnes Ball calls for a violent and immediate end to the media's rekindled bromance with laddy Britpop, incarnated in the execrable Brother

"If you don't want to hear the future of music, leave now." Lee Newell, Brother

Those were Brother's first words upon taking to the stage at now-defunct London venue The Flowerpot this September. Anyone who scraped their last modicum of sense out of the bottom of their pint of Stella and scarpered, however, might have had their desires served better had they stayed for the duration of their set; a smug pub rock slop togged up in shop-fresh sepia Union Jack and a manifesto that railed against intellectualism, dubstep, and anything that's achieved much of cultural note post-1998. Despite certain quarters referring to them as British guitar music's "new white hopes," there's nothing novel about Brother.

"We'll see things they'll never see, you and I are gonna live forever." Oasis, 'Live Forever'

The Slough four-piece play what they've termed "gritpop," wear owly Lennon glasses, and have appointed themselves the logical successors to Oasis' throne. Topless women embrace in the bath in the video to their first single, 'The Darling Buds Of May', the lyrics to which go, "And when you walk / and when you walk / I feel better now because her birthday's in May / it is what it is," a string of vague nothing-nesses that recall two other brothers' lyrical nonsense. They played their second London show at Britpop's abandoned Braunes Haus, the Met Bar, they've already tried to start yappy Jack Russell scraps with fellow hyped fret fiddlers The Vaccines and derided all music hailing from across the pond as "that American shit." Geffen signed them for a six-figure sum, and Stephen Street is producing their album. Brother – metonymic of lad-rock by name alone – are the latest Groundhog Day in music's willfully repetitive narrative.

On the basis of one awful single and some throwaway and obvious gobby quotes, you'd wonder why and how they've even achieved the infamy that they so desperately crave – why anyone would deign to lend them even the credibility of negative oxygen, and why I'd bother writing this. But just as Brother are happy to rehash and repeat the tired tropes of Britpop without the faintest attempt at recontextualisation, so are they an easy journalistic anaphora; whereby their coining of their own genre one letter away from what Steven Wells termed a byword for "unchallenging guitar music played by white suburban males" ensures optimum reception of message, ease of communication, the perfect level of contention in the comment box beneath the article. Brother clearly value neither intellectualism nor art nor ingenuity, but to add insult to injury, there's an abhorrent – and increasingly prevalent - streak of press protectionism in that no-one's willing to call them out on being such charlatans just in case they do make good on the new white British guitar hopes tag that's been desperately affixed to them (perish the thought). Instead, their braggadocio is met with the fond air of a proud father doting on a rude child and excusing their behaviour as something all kids do. "But they're funny," those looking for click-throughs chuckle. "We need bands like Brother to come and stir shit up," others affirm. "We need to stay sat firmly on the fence and entertain them until it's clear as to whether they are actually going to be successful," no-one is saying.

In Christopher R. Weingarten's speech 'Twitter And The Death Of Rock Criticism' given at the 140 Characters conference in New York in 2009, he discussed how old school critics started fearing for their jobs with the rise of blogs and the abundance of unjaded young whippersnappers willing to work for free in exchange for "concert tickets and a pat on the head." He goes on to posit that "magazines and websites stopped separating the wheat from the chaff and started reporting on what blogs were saying." No blog worth their salt would dedicate more than a cursory "WTF" post with regard to Brother. Their retro stylings don't constitute a notch on the totem of newness before which the blogosphere prostrates itself. The print press, on the other hand, see their chance to claim the band as their own, should they become successful. It's easier to retell an old story than to start a new one. Brother's craven copying of a movement that occurred when they were probably knee high to a 12" puts the old school critics in a position of power - having experienced Britpop firsthand, they can reclaim relevance and lead the most valid discussions in their search to claim championship over the next "great British guitar band."

When did it start, this annually retrodden concept that only guitar bands can define the Greatness of British music? The last one of any significance was arguably The Libertines, whose reunion this year was met with endless cover features and delight at a concrete event in their interminable "will they, won't they?" rock and roll pantomime. Or was it before that, with Britpop and so-called "Cool Britannia," that freakish time when politicians seemed to give a shit about young people – or at least about seeming relevant to them. It'd be charming to think that beneath Brother's blokey shtick there's a secret desire to hark back to a time of comparative political optimism, but it's unlikely.

"So what's the matter with you, sing me something new." Oasis, 'Stand By Me'

The idea that we need four blokes singing about birds and wearing their unremarkable-ness as a badge of honour to constitute some kind of barometer for the health of the UK music scene is depressing. Offensive even, considering that in 2010 alone, music was in as fine a fettle – finer, arguably – than the so-called glory days that these goons are trying to prolong. Records from LoneLady, I Like Trains, Anika, New Young Pony Club, The Fall (still "the best new band in Britain," as tQ's Luke Turner proclaimed in the NME review of their album, met with agreement from MES himself), These New Puritans, Everything Everything, Errors, Ikonika, Islet, Factory Floor – to mention but a few – are as British as British could be in their individual quirky brilliances and absolute lack of inertia. Behind each group and album is an inspiring and smart story that looks at their respective musical heritages and realises their influences anew. By comparison, Brother's aspirations – provoking beef with other no-mark indie newcomers and headlining Glastonbury within two years of forming (good luck with that) - read like a nursery rhyme guide to becoming a rock and roll star, repeated by the press with all the gusto of a beleaguered parent intoning said story to a baying infant each night.

CarsmileSteve
Jan 6, 2011 12:33pm

weren't everything everything last year's hotly tipped new guitar band? they were definitely in the BBC top ten...

also, whilst i'm no apologist for their later work, the first four oasis singles were a swaggering, exciting kick up the arse for a very moribund and insular music scene. OK, so it was all downhill from there, but it annoys me that oasis = shit is almost always the default line...

CarsmileSteve
Jan 6, 2011 12:34pm

Brother clearly = shit though...

Scowze
Jan 6, 2011 12:58pm

Whilst I agree with your criticisms of Brother wholeheartedly, I'd still rather see 10000 bands like this than the million ellie goulding / laura marling / eliza doolittle / kate nash breed of twatty english twee-ness that has been rife of late. At least this breed of twatty Englishness retains a bit of a sense of fun and of mischief...

Jan 6, 2011 1:02pm

The fact that you wrote this article about them proofs that their commercial plan works. Negative or positive attention it doesn't matter. You just helped them a little more with creating the hype.

Queenie
Jan 6, 2011 1:27pm

Dullards. The corporate music press is dead.

ac
Jan 6, 2011 1:30pm

PLEASE don't ever give these morons any more coverage and let them slip away into laughable obscurity.

Jack Wills
Jan 6, 2011 1:35pm

thought i would share "Brothers" up bringing: they were originally a pop punk band called "Kill The Arcade": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yj7uADV69k

then changed their name to "wolf am i"

emo turns brit pop.

huw
Jan 6, 2011 1:45pm

Jo. Lean. And. The. Jing. Jang. Jong.

Anthony
Jan 6, 2011 1:52pm

The fact that Geffen signed them should be conclusive proof that 'it's over' for the ideas free zone which has passed for the major label music business model for a decade now, but you can see a neatly manufactured Brit friendly 'movement' coming a mile off can't you?...I bet every label will soon be sitting on one of these thunderously dull, merchants of the 'Nu-Nostalgia' just waiting to pounce them onto a new generation of poor victims of consumerist 'art', it's truly baffling how many bands still wouldn't know what 'interesting' was if it was snorted up their Beatle worshipping beaks, fuck me, you don't even need to be able to play anymore to be cool guys!...and at least Teddy Boys wore cool shoes and were polite to their elders.
This is a band that really should never have been found amongst the murky dull space of a rehearsal room, but with their gobshite PR machine behind them, NME stardom looms (NME may I add being actually more irrelevant to the evolution of interesting music than the X-Factor).
It's just like the wheel was never invented for some people, but fuck 'em Quietus, let the people have their meat and potatoes, just as long as you keep serving up the nice spicy curries, we'll be OK yeah?

G
Jan 6, 2011 1:53pm

That was a rather brilliant piece of writing. It's a bit sad when new bands like Yuck get largely overlooked in favour of bands like Brother.

UrbanVelvet
Jan 6, 2011 2:01pm

Has it really come to this? This band reeks of desperation

Fenrir
Jan 6, 2011 2:06pm

Never heard of them, probably never will apart from this article. I've been waiting for Britpop to make a comeback/revival though, and all the shite to reform for 5 mins more.

We all know it's going to happen.

Sean
Jan 6, 2011 2:31pm

In reply to Scowze:

I don't know about that. I think "fun and mischief" are exactly the kind of words you'd find written on Eliza Doolittle's press release.

DM
Jan 6, 2011 2:41pm

Great piece Agnes. An Argentinian was telling me that whenever the current government loses popularity they start banging on about the Falklands.

And what is this monocrop idea of Britishness anyway? It was this kind of music that turned me into a devotee of 'American Shit' at 16. It took Richard Thompson and PJ Harvey to pull me back to the home soil and it's songs, precisely because they eschew the caricatures and the herd-hymns.

Jonathan
Jan 6, 2011 3:28pm

Amusing that they'd like to be headlining Glastonbury within two years. Given that no one gives a shit right now, and that the festival is taking a rest in 2012, they're coming out of the blocks with egg on their faces. Grand.

Mof Gimmers
Jan 6, 2011 3:36pm

Scorching stuff. I don't care much for the premise of the band, but I'm glad they're around to provoke a searing piece like this.

DG
Jan 6, 2011 3:39pm

The music industry made a truck load of money out of nothing with Oasis. Here's another cheap excuse to do that again with no regard to longevity or integrity that the UK music scene is lacking.

Hear Brother's previous incarnations as fringe clad teens singing pop rock songs-

Kill The Arcade

And the actually very good- Wolf Am I

This band do have talent- they're just too clever to use it.

Emma
Jan 6, 2011 3:41pm

This is what Brother used to do. I think I see the next band wagon coming...

C J Davies
Jan 6, 2011 3:46pm

Brilliant. The new Northern Uproar. Just what the world needs.

Jan 6, 2011 3:59pm

Slough Uproar!

I guarantee their name was (un)inspired by the Gallaghers' Man City football shirts.

Now if they went disco and changed their name to Man City they might redeem themselves. . . .

Part Time Dave
Jan 6, 2011 4:57pm

Great article. I'm increasingly finding the "Best New Music" to be exactly like the old "Best New Music" from the year before, or the year before that. Generally speaking, this "Best New Music" has exactly one year to succeed in the eyes of the industry before they are replaced by the new crop the following year, with the odd exception, they fail, and that's it. New Music isn't necessarily good music, is it.

Scowze
Jan 6, 2011 4:57pm

In reply to Sean:

So true...a vast oversight on my behalf. I was too busy ripping out my eyes and ears.

Johnny Nothing
Jan 6, 2011 11:55pm

Oh god, not again.

Jan 7, 2011 12:00am

In reply to Johnny Nothing:

It was going amazingly well until the phrase "New Young Pony Club".

eagpojiea
Jan 7, 2011 9:03am

In reply to Scowze:

Yeah bro, women suck.

Reggie P
Jan 7, 2011 10:21am

Maybe they'll make a 'Krautrock/shoegaze' record as a follow up and everyone will pretend it's good.

bOZ
Jan 7, 2011 10:56am

great article

Boz
Jan 7, 2011 11:01am

In reply to DG:

You're right, Wolf Am I aren't that bad actually.

Noel
Jan 7, 2011 11:14am

In reply to G:

Not convinced that Yuck are the best example of an antidote to this nonsense, given that they're essentially the remnants of an undercooked neo-Britpop band restyled as sort of sub-Lemonheads Chuck Taylor alt-rock, and just as transparently ambulance-chasing as these Brother characters

G
Jan 7, 2011 12:13pm

In reply to Noel:

Yeah, someone mentioned the Lemonheads thing to me the other day in relation to Yuck...I can sorta see that. I wasn't convinced initially about Yuck to be honest but by the time I'd heard 'Daughter' (probably one of my favourite songs from last year) and 'Automatic', I was changing my mind about em. On top of that, Mogwai did an ace remix of their song 'Rubber'. Not convinced for a second about the ambulance-chaser thing though...There's a weight to Yuck's music that automatically sets them apart from the likes of Brother. Besides Yuck are no where near as obnoxious.

Billy Pilgrim
Jan 7, 2011 1:53pm

Give Agnes Ball a Pulitzer

Common Sense
Jan 7, 2011 3:00pm

As an alternative to Brother - I URGE you to listen to BROTHERS - an all female outfit from Norwich www.myspace.com.brothersuk

sophiebow
Jan 7, 2011 3:50pm

As you have so deftly pointed out, everything about Brother is clichéd, uninspired and quite frankly boring, and the music press' current persistent peddling of them smacks of desperation. The fact that they have been awarded an NME cover of the back of one abysmal signal says as much about the current state of the NME (and all the other magazines that are heaping praise upon them) as it does about the band itself.

But something strikes me as odd. Other than this article there is no trace of an 'Agnes Ball' as a music writer either on The Quietus or anywhere else on the internet. Yet this reads like the work of a professional journalist. I seriously hope 'Agnes Ball' isn't the pseudonym of an NME/Q/Guardian/Fly journo who can't voice their opinion in such detail without fearing for their career (my money's on Laura Snapes if this is the case), but it wouldn't surprise me. Thanks for speaking up about this, whoever you are.

Fudgey
Jan 7, 2011 4:57pm

Brilliantly written, I've been waiting for someone to write this for months, I have been amazed how no one is catching on the fact they used to be an emo band and they have as much depth as a shallow pool

Greg
Jan 7, 2011 5:19pm

In reply to Scowze:

There already are 1000000's of bands like Brother, just visit your local empty 'pay-to-play' bar academy venue

Greg
Jan 7, 2011 5:22pm

In reply to Noel:

I don't understand what those young, hip, ex-Cajun Dance Party members are doing playing sub Teenage Fanclub B-sides as 'Yuck' either.

Bann Benner of Bolling Bone Bagazine
Jan 7, 2011 6:26pm

So I watched a video of Brother being interviewed so see what these keen, steely young gunslingers had to say about themselves. And...

The music press ARE actually having a laugh with this lot, right? The coverage this band gets is surely a case of PR Man On My Shoulder more than anything else.

PAC
Jan 7, 2011 7:24pm

In reply to Bann Benner of Bolling Bone Bagazine:

Bah.. i'll judge this lot at The Borderline.

They have as much right to oik front covers as any other band / artist in italics during their first, third, seventeenth incarnation. Machine or Music.

Best New Band In Britain: "Okay.. we've got Adorable / Suede / The Verve.."

tenbenson
Jan 8, 2011 1:08pm

students will love it. as a mature student, i say this with a sense of creeping dread...

Bann Benner of Bolling Bone Bagazine
Jan 8, 2011 4:36pm

In reply to PAC:

What, really? You're paying money to see them?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Stop, you're killing me with this shit.

BrotherFAN
Jan 8, 2011 11:53pm

I've never seen or heard of this website before, I was simply googling Brother and came across this article, because dare I say it in the presence of all you music gods and experts...I love Brother. Of course in your eyes this makes me a LAD who loves a good sing-a-long who must be [insert-hilarious-smarmy-joke-here-that-I-am-simply-too-stoopid-to-understand]. Fair enough if you don't like the band but I find this sort of music snobbery tiresome and boring and the general attitude of this article and website only goes to justify my feeling that there are far too many music snobs who will ridicule people and attempt to belittle them for simply liking a band like Brother. I look forward to the intelligent insults I may or may not receive from one or two of you intelligent lot and I wish you all a happy new year 2011...the year of Brother.

Picantewest
Jan 9, 2011 8:27am

In reply to BrotherFAN:

You must be Brother's PR guy, right? If you don't like snobbery as you call it (which is actually just placing higher cultural demands on your art than that it be served warm and come with chips) don't read it. Just as all of the readers of this site couldn't be paid to read whatever teenybopper rag you get your tips from...Any way, listened to a couple tracks on youtube and what shite.
In response to other commenters, I'd like to make an observation about British music in general. Please keep in mind that I hold vast swaths of your country's musical output in extremely high regard. Why is there so much more hype in Britain for bands barely wet behind the ears? Is it because you occupy a smaller land mass? More press? I know that America's radio is mostly swill but it usually comes filtered through layers of corporate Yes Men before being shoveled into the mainstream trough. Just something I've always wondered about.

BrotherFAN
Jan 9, 2011 7:49pm

In reply to Picantewest:

Brothers PR guy...good one that. I am an open minded person which is why I am disappointed when I witness this - I'll go for an alternative word to snobbery...behavior from people who are clearly pretty intelligent. I completely respect the fact that no one who reads this website is likely to enjoy Brothers music but why not just concentrate on the music you enjoy rather than slating bands (and their fans) who you don't like? Unfortunately I don't believe everything I read in all these "teenybopper rags", I form my opinion on a band/artist from what I hear in the music, not in the column inches. I don't expect to change anyone's opinion about Brother but I would like to see some more rational behavior from those of you who have "high cultural demands" on their art...

"If you hype something and it succeeds, you're a genius - it wasn't a hype. If you hype it and it fails, then it was just a hype."

Sense
Jan 9, 2011 9:05pm

In reply to BrotherFAN:

Thing is though BrotherFan, the article is only half about how shit Brother are, an undoubted fact. Its anger is more directed at those that would serve this up as the future of music and journalists for not call it out for what it is: regressive, misplaced nostalgia. In terms of slagging the band off, I think that if you peruse some of their statements you can find ample reason to slag them off as they seem to be giving a lot of lip; they should be able to take some back.
Of course one will like what one likes, some people like to be twats for instance and these four twats like to be Brother.

Picantewest
Jan 9, 2011 9:43pm

In reply to BrotherFAN:

As I said if you don't like the opinions of the publication, don't read it. I think Brother is shit so I won't listen to them.

BrotherFAN
Jan 9, 2011 10:21pm

In reply to Sense:

Naturally, I don't agree with some parts of your response Sense but you are talking...well, sense. Of course I am going to disagree with you saying they are shit but as I've already said, I'm not here to try and change anyone's opinion about the band. In terms of slagging the band off (sorry to steal your phrase!), I didn't mean Brother specifically, the things they are saying are naturally going to make people dislike/hate them but do you think they care? Of course not. In fact I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that they would prefer for people to hate them and for people not to say anything. They are a band that will divide opinions at the very least. I am always a fan of lively debate but ultimately I think we all have to agree to disagree.

Jan 9, 2011 10:25pm

In reply to Picantewest:

Yes I don't like the opinions but I always think it is important to look at both sides of an argument, don't you? Also, I'm sure you'll agree the article was very well written in terms of structure and vocab etc., even if the content was disagreeable to someone like me! :)

Picantewest
Jan 9, 2011 10:44pm

I agree a balanced opinion is important, but there are too many books to read to waste my time with NME, Rolling Stone, Q, The Source i.e. magazines with mostly vanilla music palates. Between The Wire, Quietus, & Boomkat all my bases are pretty much covered. I don't think this is snobbery, just taking advantage of reliable resources. And I don't think that I'm a snob for saying some people like taking risks with what they listen to, watch, eat, read and some don't. It doesn't make them lesser people and you can't expect those with higher standards to respond favorably when fed the same old thing. This article is the first time I had heard of Brother and probably the last.

BrotherFAN
Jan 9, 2011 11:07pm

In reply to Picantewest:

Excellent evaluation, I fully appreciate your stance and although I do read those types of magazines it's more as a reference point because I tend to disagree with a huge majority of what they say anyway. I hope you understand my perception of the people I see as 'music snobs' as I have experienced it first hand and find it frustrating when people think they are better than me because of their music taste. This is not the case in this discussion, I may have launched into a slight offensive on my first comment because I wrongly expected the responses to be much worse. There are always stereotypes that need to be broken. Like that of a 'music snob' or that of a typical LADrock *shudder* fan. Two things we may both be accused of but are certainly not as far as I can tell. This is probably the wrong platform for me venting my frustrations about such issues as I am massively going off on a tangent but this is simply because I am enjoying our discussion. I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on the other band being hyped in the press for 2011 - The Vaccines.

Jan 10, 2011 9:55am

For the record Brothers' laddishness isn't why I dislike them. Loutish, terrace style behaviour is a personal black mark in my book but wouldn't stop me from listening to a band. It's the fact that they're so weak sounding. Their music sounds like the Fast Show sketch for Indie Club... If you'd ever wondered what The Dandy Warhols unplugged would sound like, here's the answer. It's like the sonic equivalent to two little droplets of mouse wee wee landing on fluffy cotton wool. Oasis, at the very least, lived up to all the swagger and talk with their sound for one album and some singles. Where is Brothers' Columbia or Rock and Roll Star?

Jan 10, 2011 9:55am

And fuck me rigid... is that cunt wearing a tie-dyed T-shirt?

tenbenson
Jan 10, 2011 11:19am

In reply to John Doran:

WE ARE COLON!
"you've got a nice face, and you've also got a nice figure...."

bash
Jan 10, 2011 1:26pm

In reply to Scowze:

Don't lump Laura Marling in there with that crowd, she is nothing like those other artists and is genuinely talented.

Joethelion
Jan 10, 2011 7:16pm

There's nothing wrong with a bit of bluster, attitude, whatever you want to call it if you can match it with great records, amazing live performances and look the part as well. If you can't you'll just come across as a bunch of tools.

Unfortunately this lot seem to have more in common with Towers of London or The Twang.

PS: Tie dye? Do me a favour you scruff.

Jan 10, 2011 8:04pm

One thing that has always irked me is me is dinosaurs like Oasis and Brother trying to appropriate a "scally" image for their dull, trad, highly derivative dadrock.

The "lads", "casuals" or "scallies" I knew were into psych, post punk, french pop, hip hop, house, jazz, two tone, dub and anything else that was exciting, innovative, forward thinking and sounded good. The very opposite of the cultural ignorance and conservatism that summed up "britpop" and its subsequent revivals.

hws
Jan 10, 2011 8:53pm

get over yourselves, the lot of you.

PAC
Jan 10, 2011 9:17pm

In reply to Bann Benner of Bolling Bone Bagazine:

Yeah. A ticket to a show.
Real Treason.

Records i'd hear before buying. About 1 in 20.
Imagine !

Bann Benner of Bolling Bone Bagazine
Jan 11, 2011 1:58pm

In reply to PAC:

Dude man guy you can probably buy Menswear's first album from like sorta Oxfam or some shit y'know man. You'd be giving to them needies instead of funding the majors' bum-headed, cock-nippled PR sodomonster, a foul creature as hard to satisfy as any pretty flower.
And it's got 'Daydreamer' on it!

will
Jan 11, 2011 3:24pm

Totally. And something that has always irked me with these 'attitude' bands is the total lack of energy in their music.

I mean- Oasis weren't exactly ripping it up like Little Richard...one overly cocky pretend chav sneering whilst his bloaty drinking buddies blandly keep time isn't exactly musically exciting.

Stavros P. Leibowitz
Jan 12, 2011 9:20pm

Brother - and just as importantly - any member of the music press who has towed the party line on this one are a crock of shit. They're the worst kind of careerist scum who are this year's Raygun. I doubt they're even from Slough and they're no different from X Factor contestants (see their desperate attempts as Wolf Am I and Kill The Arcade). We ain't gonna take it any more so fuck off and take those arselickers from the NME with you.

ninetyeightytwo
Jan 12, 2011 9:27pm

In reply to Joethelion:

What's everybody's problem with tie-dye?

Chairman Wow!
Jan 12, 2011 10:39pm

In reply to ninetyeightytwo:

I was prepared to hate them but the single actually ok in a jo,ly sort of way.

Is there a touch of classism going on here? How dare these oils make music???

Stavros P. Leibowitz
Jan 12, 2011 11:45pm

In reply to Chairman Wow!:

Classism? Oiks? You can bet your last quid they've never been within a sniff of Slough's Britwell estate or Manor Park.

Rory
Jan 13, 2011 12:43am

Great, thoughtful piece. Nice work. Taking potshots at this sort of band (and the media mindset backing them) might seem like shooting fish in a barrel, but hell, someone's gotta do it, and do it eloquently.

Terry Daley
Jan 13, 2011 11:22am

They're a wind up. They've got to be.

Matthew
Jan 13, 2011 5:02pm

These guys are actually very embarrasing - why the music journals are giving attention to these guys is beyond me. It's all been done before, and they could at least try to write a good song.

Yes, okay, when Oasis came around, the music wasn't original (doesn't mean it was bad - unless we're talking about Heathen Chemistry era Oasis...) and we'd heard similar before, but it was needed - the charts were full of American grunge, there was nothing of any note topping the charts. Oasis also had an attitude that was genuine, but importantly had the tunes to go with it. Songs from their iconic years portrayed the image of working class lads striving for better days, such as wonderful uplifting euphoric tunes like Live Forever, Listen Up, Half The World Away, Whatever and Rock n Roll Star. This is why Oasis got away with it - despite being technically naive, everyone got what they were saying and these fantastic tunes struck a chord with with so many.

Brother have got to understand that we don't need any of this again. Folk just seem to focus on their attitude and not the tunes. This band will get nowhere at all - they are just another in a long list of uninspired indie wannabes. They're pathetic really.

micky mouse
Jan 14, 2011 12:25pm

absolutely! and the best disarming of a band i've read for many a year. it's not often you encounter such a well honed, pin sharp metaphorical cunt kicking like this in today's press. i agree with every word. it's just a shame the writer responsible had to use a pseudonym. i find this as gutless as the music they're attacking.

McGLONE
Jan 14, 2011 2:42pm

Can I suggest an alternative list at the start of each year listing all the new acts to avoid.
It would have been lovely if at the beginning of 2009 someone had run a feature on Florence saying " Here's another of those 21-year olds who behave like it's still the 1940s. She can't sing for toffee and she comes from the Brit School, or was it the Sylvia Young School? Anyway you know one of those ghastly places that should be burnt to the ground. She's about to have a massive hit with the umpteenth cover version of a cod-gospel load of clatrap that no one really liked in the first place and which IS NOT EVEN A PROPER SONG LET'S FACE IT! rather it's a load of build and a tile phrase being huffed and puffed over and over again. She'll probably be sitting on one of those big silent film-style cresent moons while she sings it which will just make the whole thing seem twice as nauseating. Anyway pleeeasse don't buy this womans records and if you see any children with one confiscate it immediately and give the child a sound clattering. It's the only way they'll learn."

If someone had done that it would have saved a lot of pain.

Scowze
Jan 14, 2011 7:38pm

In reply to McGLONE:

I think I love you

aqer
Jan 17, 2011 9:11pm

In reply to McGLONE:

twat

Lola
Jan 22, 2011 10:17am

They look very outdated

Jeff T
Feb 3, 2011 5:32pm

In reply to McGLONE:

Somebody just went into beast mode. Shit.

As for the article, good read. Good points made. Fuck NME bands.

The 50 Something Indie Kid
Feb 5, 2011 12:45am

Until about 30 minutes ago, the old fart aging indie kid didn't even realise that these scampsters existed. What's it all about Aggie?? Unrequited love?? Where's Billy Bragg when you need him??

Britpop revivalists? Guilty as charged yer 'Onour.

Will the kids love 'em?

Absofuckinglutely.

Eyes Only
Feb 5, 2011 1:11am

Stephen Street? The bloke behind Fear of Flying who went on to become White Lies? Who incidently were on those "ones to watch" polls. Brother are also linked to Jack's (drummer in W.L) record label (along with Laura Marling). Anybody else notice a pattern here?

Keith c
Feb 5, 2011 12:27pm

In reply to huw:

towers. of. london.

Capers
Feb 6, 2011 12:27pm

In reply to Eyes Only :

Yes, the people responsible for inflicting Shite Lies are also responsible for the abomination that are Brother.

The Dark
Feb 9, 2011 12:20pm

In reply to Capers:

The bastard son of Paul Whitehouse declares all out war on Roni Size ...

god
Feb 10, 2011 3:04pm

I enjoyed this, i had noticed that all printed press sits on the fence these days. That is why i read The Quietus and Stool Pigeon. Amen.

The Riverboat Captain
Feb 16, 2011 12:33am

The new Kooks.

We didn't need the old ones.

edwin evans
Aug 15, 2011 6:58pm

In reply to BrotherFAN:

Just an update to BrotherFAN above...mid-August...not looking like The Year Of Brother yet.